• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping dx3 pro Raspberry Pi

davidebond

Hi. Can I use Topping dx3 pro with a Raspberry Pi system? Where I find the drivers? Or must I use a diy dac? In any case, can I listen to CDs?

Thanks and best,

Davide

threni

Major Contributor
Hi. Can I use Topping dx3 pro with a Raspberry Pi system? Where I find the drivers? Or must I use a diy dac? In any case, can I listen to CDs?
d s
Thanks and best,

Davide
I listen to most of my music on a Pi and a Topping DAC. Pis run Linux and the Linux kernel is mostly made of drivers so you won't need any more! Just connect it via USB. You can listen to CDs if you get a USB CD player but now's a good time to consider using a PC/laptop etc to rip your CDs and store them on a USB hard drive attached to a Pi as a flac file - exactly the same sound quality but the convenience of having all your music accessible via a menu in some software. I use moOde: https://moodeaudio.org/ but there are many alternatives.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks for your suggestions and enthusiasm.

Best,

Davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Many thanks. The player Is fine. You has right in ripping the CDs, but are there dedicated CD player and burner for Raspberry Pi or can I use a normal burner? By the way, I thought to buy the kit start from the official shop of Raspberry Pi and install Debian Wheezy.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can connect any SATA CD/DVD drive via a SATA-USB adapter to RPi.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks and best,

Davide

Yes, I just built a streamer with a RPi 4 based on piCorePlayer driving a Topping D50s/A50s...

No drivers required, you just need to set Squeezelite to 'USB Audio' and select the correct output setting, 'hw:CARD=D50s,DEV=0' in my case.

1677417547767.png

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Excuse me for the question, but you insisted on ripping the CDs. Why? Is it not better to download them as flac from Presto or Qobuz?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I don't think anyone insisted on ripping CDs. You asked about playing them, and people answered. Ripping (whether just once or every time you play it) is how you get the data off the CD, through the Pi and out to the DAC. If you've got a CD transport you could that directly to the DAC, but that would bypass any EQ you may be doing on the Pi. If you'd prefer to get them as files from Qobuz or wherever that's fine too.

Top Bottom