• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 pro plus or Topping L30 plus MOTU M4

redrumgalaxy

Greetings, my first post here although have followed for many years!

I have a MOTU M4 and am considering getting a Topping L30 as a headphone amp and just using the M4 as a DAC? Am I likely to see any benefit over the onboard headphone amp on the M4? Also considering getting the Topping DX3 Pro Plus as an alternative to both of those? Again will I see much difference?

The 2 headphone's I regularly use are SHURE SRH840 and Technics EAH-F70N (wired connection), I have a very broad listening spectrum so no particular genre favoured, I just like to listen to accurate, natural, balanced, flat or dare I say it a clinical listening experience!

Any advice welcome thank you,

John

jdoe

Topping DX3 Pro Plus as an alternative to both of those
Only if you need a separate DAC+Headamp combo with Bluetooth support. Otherwise you can safely purchase L30 (or even L50) and be happy with it. Personally for me DX3Pro+ sound was a little bit "thin" in comparison to other devices based on ESS dac chips. In the most of the cases L30 will bring an improvement to the sound in comparison to the onboard MOTU M4 headamp, just make sure that M4 output is set to 0db (max level) when sending output to the L30 and use only L30 knob to change volume. I would highly recommend to find someone who can lend you a standalone headphone amplifier for a day and decide if you need it or not.

OP
R

redrumgalaxy

Got an L30 and wow, what a lovely little set up! Thanks for the advice jdoe!

Top Bottom