• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 PRO + Output modes

nd23rin

I'm running my DX3P+ through USB from my desktop, and have two speakers hooked up via RCA which seems to be working fine. However, my question comes when I plug in my headphones and switch to headphone via the remote. I can switch between what seems headphone only "0-2" and headphone + Line Out "0-3". My question is, even if I unhook the speakers, the sound through headphones is pretty different between the two modes. Presumably both are using the DAC even though the "0-3" mode actually says "DAC" on the display and the "0-2" mode doesnt. What's causing this and which mode is better to use if I am just listening through headphones? Thanks!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
RTFM yields the following:
dx3prop-modes1.png

+
dx3prop-modes2.png

So the first table would correspond to:
O-2
O-3
O-1 + m-d
O-1 + m-p

I can only guess that the unit may be saving the volume setting for each line-out mode separately, and the difference in sound between O-2 and O-3 is coming purely from that. O-3 should not even have DAC mode available, so not sure why that is lit. You may want to investigate whether the DAC / preamp mode setting is even available and whether it makes any difference on the RCA output. I am reasonably confident that headphone and line-out are tied together though, so it should not be possible to have adjustable volume on the headphone out and fixed volume on the line out.

Top Bottom