• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 PRO LDAC Version 2 - output impedance question

jadenphan

Hi all,

I am a newbie in this, and I am currently looking for an amp/dac combo around $150-250 to power my DT990 Pro (250ohm). After researching and going through many options, I came across Topping DX3 PRO LDAC Version 2 that really attracts me. I also seriously considered the Fiio K5 Pro, but unfortunately it is out of stock everywhere. I am however, concerned about the high output impedance of this new version from Wolf's test. Do you think it's worth it to get this?

If you have any other suggestions (even separate amp / dac) please feel free to fire away!

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Hoary

Conventional wisdom is to have at least 8 to 1 ratio between you headphone impedance and output impedance of the amp. AFAIK, the output impedance of the Topping DX3 PRO LDAC Version 2 is about 10 Ohm. So, with 250 Ohm headphones you should be fine.

OP
J

jadenphan

Conventional wisdom is to have at least 8 to 1 ratio between you headphone impedance and output impedance of the amp. AFAIK, the output impedance of the Topping DX3 PRO LDAC Version 2 is about 10 Ohm. So, with 250 Ohm headphones you should be fine.
Thank you for the response. I am just worried that in the future, if I would like to use this amp/dac with another headphone with low Ohm, lower than 80 ohm, then that would be a problem!

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thank you for the response. I am just worried that in the future, if I would like to use this amp/dac with another headphone with low Ohm, lower than 80 ohm, that would be a problem!

That would depend on the headphone in question. Some low impedance headphones may show some (slight) tonal changes. Others may not at all.
The 1/8 rule is merely a guideline to be safe under all circumstances.
When you plan to buy multi Armature IEMs with low impedances you should look elsewhere.
The 10 Ohm isn't a problem in practice.

OP
J

jadenphan

That would depend on the headphone in question. Some low impedance headphones may show some (slight) tonal changes. Others may not at all.
The 1/8 rule is merely a guideline to be safe under all circumstances.
When you plan to buy multi Armature IEMs with low impedances you should look elsewhere.
The 10 Ohm isn't a problem in practice.
I see, I guess I was just trying to think forward about the future proofing of the DX3 Pro.

Would you recommend the Magni Heresy & E30 over the DX3 Pro?
I am kind of new to this, and thought that the DX3 is a great entry all-in-one unit to start with, but I am open for suggestions.

Hoary

If not all-in-one, within the same budget there are number of options. JDS Atom amp is a solid choice and now the matching DAC is available. Both will be $99 + $99. Schiit stack can be another option. Unlike DX3 Pro, both do not have any displays. E30 doesn't have a matching amp yet, L30 is coming soon.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I see, I guess I was just trying to think forward about the future proofing of the DX3 Pro.

Would you recommend the Magni Heresy & E30 over the DX3 Pro?
I am kind of new to this, and thought that the DX3 is a great entry all-in-one unit to start with, but I am open for suggestions.

When you don't mind different devices (color, looks) and, for future proofing, you want separate devices sure you can use devices like Modi-3, E30, Atom DAC and use amps like Heresy.

When you plan to use very low impedance IEMs then that is a better idea than the DX3.
You don't have to worry about 10 Ohm output resistance though so if you like the looks, functionality of the DX3 you can safely use that.

Of course.... now that you've been told 10 Ohm is 'bad' it will always nag you and the moment you hear a not so well recorded bass you will run to the store and buy device that has low output R hoping it will improve things.... and it shall.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When you don't mind different devices (color, looks) and, for future proofing, you want separate devices sure you can use devices like Modi-3, E30, Atom DAC and use amps like Heresy.

When you plan to use very low impedance IEMs then that is a better idea than the DX3.
You don't have to worry about 10 Ohm output resistance though so if you like the looks, functionality of the DX3 you can safely use that.

Of course.... now that you've been told 10 Ohm is 'bad' it will always nag you and the moment you hear a not so well recorded bass you will run to the store and buy device that has low output R hoping it will improve things.... and it shall.

Damn brains!

Quizel

I think of output impedance like a equalizer adjustment. It may actually "improve" the sound as well. However, I am one to get behind buying gear that doesn't color the sound in potentially substantial ways unless that was the point.

The Magni Heresy & E30 (or just the d30 or even d10) would be exactly what I'd recommend but I may not know as much as these other guys.

Last edited:

spartangalo

Hi all,

I am a newbie in this, and I am currently looking for an amp/dac combo around $150-250 to power my DT990 Pro (250ohm). After researching and going through many options, I came across Topping DX3 PRO LDAC Version 2 that really attracts me. I also seriously considered the Fiio K5 Pro, but unfortunately it is out of stock everywhere. I am however, concerned about the high output impedance of this new version from Wolf's test. Do you think it's worth it to get this?

If you have any other suggestions (even separate amp / dac) please feel free to fire away!

Thank you so much!
You buy the dx3 pro, hoe it goes?

Top Bottom