• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping dx3 pro and filters

davidebond

Hi. The Topping dx3 pro has 6 filters which were discussed by you elsewhere: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...l-simple-understanding-topping-dx3-pro.32262/

and: https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/blogs/how-to/how-to-pick-the-best-filter-setting-for-your-dac

Unfortunately, notwithstanding having in my bookshelf the handbook by Nielsen and Chang, I didn't understand. What are the meaning of the filters, explained trivially? They are:

1. sharp roll off filter
2. slow roll off filter
3. short delay sharp roll off filter
4. short delay slow low roll off filter
5. super slow low roll off filter
6. low dispertion short delay filter

Addicted to audio suggested to use a fast roll off or a short roll off with a linear phase, but how can I set a linear phase in the dx3?

Is there one who can explain these filters in a simple manner?

Thanks and best,

davide

JSmith

Master Contributor
3. short delay sharp roll off filter
Just pick the default F-3 or F-1 IMO... set and forget. It's very difficult to pick any difference between them all anyway.

index.php

To save me typing pages, you will find this article helpful;

JSmith

Calleberg

Is there one who can explain these filters in a simple manner?

davide
Yes, their main function is to make the "features" list in the marketing material slightly longer, not kidding.:)
And due to such marketing eventually some people may feel they "need" them, and may choose another product if they are not there.

I use F1 or whatever they have chosen to call the sharp standard filter. That is the technically most correct one and the only one needed really.

But don't take my word for it, If you are curious, try them out, it is only the NOS/Filter less settings that can hurt anything.

Last edited:

Hernandezt

Hello, so according the article, for dx3 pro, what is the one to pick, F3 or F 7,
Fast roll off or Fast roll off linear?

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello, so according the article, for dx3 pro, what is the one to pick, F3 or F 7,
Fast roll off or Fast roll off linear?
Can you hear a difference between any of them?

Hernandezt

No, I really can't, just interesting which one in the article is referring to.

Top Bottom