• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 price/performance good even if I don't need a DAC?

Cifer

Hello everyone,

I want to buy a moderately powerful desk amp for use with easy-to-drive headphones like the HD 560s. I just need a bit more volume than I can get from my laptop, and was originally planning to just buy an amp to attach to an apple dongle. I want volume control as well, and that's why I've settled on an amp and not a dongle.

But considering how cheap many amp/DAC combos are, and considering the fact that decent amps also coast about the same as the Topping, would it be worth buying the Topping even if I don't necessarily need a DAC?

I'm wondering if there are any amps which cost about the same or less, provide more power, and sound equally good or better than the Topping. I've done some research but am not experienced enough to make a judgment myself.

If you simply wanted something cheap with a transparent sound, good measurements, some modest amping power and a volume knob, would you still go for the DX1, or is there an actual good amp-only alternative?

Thanks a lot!

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you simply wanted something cheap with a transparent sound, good measurements, some modest amping power and a volume knob, would you still go for the DX1, or is there an actual good amp-only alternative?
I'd go for the DX1.
An alternative would be the Sabaj A10d+Apple A2049, which would be slightly cheaper now that black Friday is over, but would actually be less powerful than the DX1, due to the dongle's low 1Vrms output and the Amp's low +9dB gain.
You'd need a 2Vrms DAC to beat the DX1, the cheapest being the $40 Ugreen 80583.
All in all, it's just not worth the extra cost and hassle imo.

Ziroz

If you want a powerful dongle with volume control the new Tanchjim space seems like a good fit, if you want more of a desk use device DX1 should be a good choice.

LDvo

If you want a powerful dongle with volume control the new Tanchjim space seems like a good fit, if you want more of a desk use device DX1 should be a good choice.
... or new iBasso dc03 Pro (I have original dc03 with latest firmware sounds pretty good, so Pro should be even better) if you prefer portable solution

OP
C

Cifer

Thanks everyone. I definitely want a desk solution. I was just wondering if there is an amp out there that costs as much or less than the DX1 and performs much better as an amp so that I spend all the money on amp performance instead of partly on a DAC I don't need. If not then I'll simply take the Topping.

The Schiit Heresy and Topping L30 II are about 50% more expensive here and the Heresy is out of stock anyway.

spigot

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B091239T3B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've listened to the DX1 and Sabaj A10H amp. They both drive Sennheiser HD600s to very loud levels. The Sabaj is currently 25% cheaper than the DX1 on Amazon UK, more powerful, has a remote, and perfect channel balance. The Sabaj has an external power brick compared to the USB powered DX1, and with the DX1 you get the advantage of its own clean USB dac source. If just concerned about amplification then I'd get the Sabaj, half volume on medium gain was ludicrously loud, plus the build quality is very nice.
(The DX1 I listened to was plugged into a USB 3.0 port, I don't know if the unit takes advantage of the extra power output from those ports.)

Last edited:

LDvo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B091239T3B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've listened to the DX1 and Sabaj A10H amp. They both drive Sennheiser HD600s to very loud levels. The Sabaj is currently 25% cheaper than the DX1 on Amazon UK, more powerful, has a remote, and perfect channel balance. The Sabaj has an external power brick compared to the USB powered DX1, and with the DX1 you get the advantage of its own clean USB dac source. If just concerned about amplification then I'd get the Sabaj, half volume on medium gain was ludicrously loud, plus the build quality is very nice.
(The DX1 I listened to was plugged into a USB 3.0 port, I don't know if the unit takes advantage of the extra power output from those ports.)
Good point - not sure as cable for DX1 is USB 2

Top Bottom