• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

AlzalzS

I would return your dragonfly red as soon as possible. Its performance is extremely underwhelming given its cost: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-dacport-hd-and-dragonfly-red.5977/

The topping DX1 has more power and better SINAD, so it's vastly superior to the dragonfly red as long as you don't mind the form-factor.
Not sure about my iMac aux power but my MacBook Pro offers something like 1.25v for 4ohm headphones and something like 3volts for higher impedance with automatic ohm detection

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes I should be considering a dac that’s also great for headphones as well. I don’t have headphones atm, but I will be connecting the dragonfly to my stereo instead of headphones
FYI the dx1 line out is fixed, but if you already have a 3.5mm to RCA splitter, you can just use the headphone output and adjust as needed.

steabert

I don’t know what “Rpi” is, and what your setup is, you’d have to explain to me since I’m new to this.
I haven’t any experience with anything except setting up receiver
Sorry, I should have written it out, I meant Raspberry Pi.

AlzalzS

Apart from audioquest “premium” cables.

Is there any other reputable brands that offer superior cables at a reasonable price

Last edited:

AlzalzS

So to my understanding, a dac is to prevent pitch errors in the clock whilst converting a digital file

staticV3

Master Contributor
So to my understanding, a dac is to prevent pitch errors in the clock whilst converting a digital file
A DAC is to turn digital PCM into analog.
A part of its job is to preserve the pitch of the input signal.
But preventing pitch errors is not the sole purpose of a DAC.

AlzalzS

So I just got my dragonfly, I’m listening to it now, I don’t think I hear a difference

AlzalzS

I’ve heard of rpi then, haven’t used it tho

I just read up on some uses of raspberry pi and it’s pretty interesting, you can broadcast over FM, that’s awesome right there

Last edited:

Mr_Mojo

Hi, i'm new here

Is this Topping DX1 powerful enough to drive the Sennheiser 560s (120 ohm)?

Thanks

Booker

Forum Donor
Can I consider the DX1 better than the DragonFly Red on paper in all aspects? I want to upgrade to something with physical volume control and the DX1 seems like the best option. Is it possible to use it with the iPhone via CCK with Truthear ZERO?

Booker

Forum Donor
Just received my unit. iPhone is unable to power it.
Overall sounds good to me, and I like it.

Booker

Forum Donor
Top Bottom