• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

nat1

Is there not a simple way to mute either the line out or headphones in windows if both are plugged in at the same time?

Yoann

Hi,

I was a little dubious about the improvement that the topping dx1 could bring me, it's my first DAC. the improvement in sound quality is present over the entire spectrum as well as a better dynamic particularly when play back high resolution audio source

before :
P8H77m-pro (Realtek ALC892) -> EqualizerAPO -> logitech Z130 -> Sennheiser HD 560S

After :
EqualizerAPO -> Topping DX1 -> Sennheiser HD 560S

apharma

While I can applaud the boundaries of SINAD and affordability being pushed it would be nice if Topping, SMSL and many others would join us in 2023 where usb-c is not only common but set to become a legal standard in 2 years for some of us.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I was a little dubious about the improvement that the topping dx1 could bring me, it's my first DAC. the improvement in sound quality is present over the entire spectrum as well as a better dynamic particularly when play back high resolution audio source

before :
P8H77m-pro (Realtek ALC892) -> EqualizerAPO -> logitech Z130 -> Sennheiser HD 560S

After :
I dread to think about what these cheapo Logitech speakers may be doing to the headphone signal. The trusty ALC892 would likely have been fine as a DAC (*), but obviously measures nowhere near the DX1... so going with that is basically killing two birds with one stone.

*) In my experience, the chips introduced in 2009 or later have very low DAC filter periodic ripple and all sound fine, assuming you're not on a buggy driver version that doesn't init the chip properly and causes high levels of IMD as a result.

dustrials

Hi,

before :

After :
I have the same MB audio ALC892 of MSI b450 tomahawk. It wasn't bad and worked fine with SMSL SA300 powering Elac Debut 2.0 5.2.
But DX1 is doing much better than ALC892 and some dongle DAC built in the SMSL SA300.
I was using TWS IEMs if needed but having headphone AMP without wired headphones was weird. So I've ordered my first ones Hifiman he400se and I'm blown away with APO EQ

spigot

While I can applaud the boundaries of SINAD and affordability being pushed it would be nice if Topping, SMSL and many others would join us in 2023 where usb-c is not only common but set to become a legal standard in 2 years for some of us.
I presume they're making a deliberate choice for greater mechanical strength and durability. Similarly with PC motherboards, or anywhere where they're not looking to shrink the device.

apharma

I presume they're making a deliberate choice for greater mechanical strength and durability. Similarly with PC motherboards, or anywhere where they're not looking to shrink the device.
Considering most of these products are not going to be plugged in and out very often compared to phones and other devices mandated by the EU to use usb-c I don’t think the strength argument has much merit. We have seen products from S.M.S.L. with usb-c, their latest flagship and the SU-6 but most of them do not have it, I believe FiiO mostly uses usb-c on their newer products now, though I only have experience with the BTA30 and the taishan. It’s not about shrinking as much as using a common standard, changing with the times and in the DX-1’s case complying with upcoming EU regulations which it will not come Dec 2024.

steabert

I agree on the usb-c stuff, but honestly, I couldn't be more happy they included a usb-b cable with the dx1, so I don't have to go and buy a separate cable.

AlzalzS

Is there any point for me to have the dragonfly red for my computer when I’m connecting it to my stereo and not headphones

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the same MB audio ALC892 of MSI b450 tomahawk. It wasn't bad and worked fine with SMSL SA300 powering Elac Debut 2.0 5.2.
But DX1 is doing much better than ALC892 and some dongle DAC built in the SMSL SA300.
I was using TWS IEMs if needed but having headphone AMP without wired headphones was weird. So I've ordered my first ones Hifiman he400se and I'm blown away with APO EQ

Many implementations of MB integrated audio has crappy output impedance and power, even if the FR itself is perfect.

All the ALC8xx I have ever tried are too anemic to drive gear designed for 2V RMS line inputs, let alone headphones.

LDvo

Is there any point for me to have the dragonfly red for my computer when I’m connecting it to my stereo and not headphones
the dragonfly red is mobile DAC and you can use as alternative to Topping DX1 DAC if you want to
to output to your stereo from digital source.
So DX1 can substitute the dragonfly red, but it is not in compact form factor
(unless you prefer sound from the dragonfly red for some reason).

AlzalzS

In compact form, you mean that it’s not as small? The dx1 is only 100$ compared to the dragonfly at 250$

So you’re saying a dac would benefit my stereo?
I haven’t yet heard the dragonfly , I ordered it and should be arriving in a 2 days and I don’t plan to keep it, just wanna test drive it, so to speak.

Yes I would be output from digital, mp3, flac files

I Am excited to hear the dragonfly and see if it’s going to change anything.

steabert

I bought a separate DAC because people told me it would sound better. At first I heard a big difference, but then later when the excitement was less, i did an actual proper blind comparison and couldn't hear any difference. That's when I went looking for proper objective information and found that it wasn't all that weird. DACs just are good enough, most likely even the one in your PC.

However, there are advantages with a separate DAC. I used it to build a cheap streaming setup with Rpi, DAC, and power amp + old pair of speakers. When combined with an amp like in a dx1 or DX3pro, you can really use all kinds of headphones with no problems.

From the measurements and specs, the DX1 should outperform the dragonfly red at anything.

Lastly, I will not personally buy from AudioQuest, they're a scam.

Once you go Topping, there is no stopping :)

Elitzur–Vaidman

In compact form, you mean that it’s not as small? The dx1 is only 100$ compared to the dragonfly at 250$

So you’re saying a dac would benefit my stereo?
I haven’t yet heard the dragonfly , I ordered it and should be arriving in a 2 days and I don’t plan to keep it, just wanna test drive it, so to speak.

Yes I would be output from digital, mp3, flac files

I Am excited to hear the dragonfly and see if it’s going to change anything.
I would return your dragonfly red as soon as possible. Its performance is extremely underwhelming given its cost: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-dacport-hd-and-dragonfly-red.5977/

The topping DX1 has more power and better SINAD, so it's vastly superior to the dragonfly red as long as you don't mind the form-factor.

AlzalzS

I would return your dragonfly red as soon as possible. Its performance is extremely underwhelming given its cost: rhttps://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-dacport-hd-and-dragonfly-red.5977/

The topping DX1 has more power and better SINAD, so it's vastly superior to the dragonfly red as long as you don't mind the form-factor.
Hey I read this prior to posting, however I purchased before reading since the return policy was so lenient, I do plan to return if no difference anyway

Elitzur–Vaidman

Hey I read this prior to posting, however I purchased before reading since the return policy was so lenient, I do plan to return if no difference anyway
That makes sense. The original dragonfly black was my first entrance into "hifi" 8 years ago. It definitely offered an improvement over my laptop's built in headphone output, but I ultimately lost it 2-3 months later.

AlzalzS

I bought a separate DAC because people told me it would sound better. At first I heard a big difference, but then later when the excitement was less, i did an actual proper blind comparison and couldn't hear any difference. That's when I went looking for proper objective information and found that it wasn't all that weird. DACs just are good enough, most likely even the one in your PC.

However, there are advantages with a separate DAC. I used it to build a cheap streaming setup with Rpi, DAC, and power amp + old pair of speakers. When combined with an amp like in a dx1 or DX3pro, you can really use all kinds of headphones with no problems.

From the measurements and specs, the DX1 should outperform the dragonfly red at anything.

Lastly, I will not personally buy from AudioQuest, they're a scam.

Once you go Topping, there is no stopping :)
I don’t know what “Rpi” is, and what your setup is, you’d have to explain to me since I’m new to this.
I haven’t any experience with anything except setting up receiver

AlzalzS

That makes sense. The original dragonfly black was my first entrance into "hifi" 8 years ago. It definitely offered an improvement over my laptop's built in headphone output, but I ultimately lost it 2-3 months later.
Yes I should be considering a dac that’s also great for headphones as well. I don’t have headphones atm, but I will be connecting the dragonfly to my stereo instead of headphones

Elitzur–Vaidman

I don’t know what “Rpi” is, and what your setup is, you’d have to explain to me since I’m new to this.
I haven’t any experience with anything except setting up receiver
Rpi is almost certainly short for raspberry pi (a highly versatile single board computer). Pre-pandemic, they were an amazing choice for DIY streaming setups, but with ongoing supply chain issues it's cheaper (and far simpler for non-techies) to just get a wiim mini.

Top Bottom