• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

elole

I bought a DX1 for my bedside bargain IEM setup. Raspberry Pi 4 running Volumio (with FusionDSP for EQ, crossfeed, loudness), USB connection to DX1, then headphones (Truthear X Crinacle Zero, Moondrop Aria, K371 etc.). Amazing setup for $150 (Pi4 & DX1).

The DX1 has plenty of power, but I don’t listen at high volume. Sounds perfectly clear to me, with only a tiny channel imbalance at the very bottom of the volume range (completely normal for a good analogue pot).

View attachment 236528
Do you think the channel imbalance at the bottom of volume range might be an issue for sensitive iems?

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
Do you think the channel imbalance at the bottom of volume range might be an issue for sensitive iems?
No. The channel imbalance only covers the first 1-2% of rotation. At low gain with sensitive IEMs you would still be using much more of the volume control.

Edit: I’m very picky about unbalanced volume controls - I used to use stepped attenuators in all amps/preamps. The DX1 imbalance is just at the very start of the rotation, as you’d get with any potentiometer. I can’t hear any imbalance after both pot tracks are engaged. Not something to worry about - just a little reminder that the pot works in the analogue domain.

Last edited:

Alexium

@WolfX-700 measurements are out!! Seems like crazy value!

Amazing, measures better in some regards than DX3+ Pro. (50 mv signal SNR), and when it's worse, it's way down in the -120 to -140 dB range so doesn't matter.
What's DX1's max power into low resistance load (32 Ohm, or better yet - 10 Ohm)?

staticV3

Master Contributor
What's DX1's max power into low resistance load (32 Ohm, or better yet - 10 Ohm)?
Topping DX1_ Max Power vs Load before clipping (knee).png Topping DX1_ Max Voltage vs Load before clipping (knee).png
Source

Alexium

Thank you very much! I've read the L7 review and missed this graph, apologies. This is enough for almost all lower impedance headphones, but could be lacking for 300-600 Ohm ones, am I right? I have poor intuition for headphone power levels and requirements (unlike speakers).

Last edited:

nummer

i ordered this dac a few days back. as of now it should bee less than a week before it arrives. let's see how it goes :3

wanghao

I am thinking of buying .
Can I output sound from both RCA and headphones at the same time?
Or will one of them be muted?

xavx

@wanghao From what I've read on reseller websites, the sound outputs on both RCA and headphones all the time, no mute function.

Am also potentially interested in the DX1 but wondering if I would hear a difference compared to the Sonata HD Pro.
Does the DX1 have the typical AKM sound signature I've read about ?
Already have ESS and Cirus DACs sounding slightly different but might like to try AKM if it has another coloration.

Alexium

If the measurements are correct - and I have no reason to doubt them - it has no signature or coloration, just as any other state of the art DAC.

Alexium

Okay guys, I really tried to resist, but I couldn't. The 11.11 discounts on Aliexpress are really good this year, I don't remember such generosity ever before. Grabbed the DX1 for $69 and even considered DX3+ or SMSL C200 for 150 an 160 respectively. If anyone was waiting for a good deal - this might be your moment!

1667344635343.png

I have also re-studied the measurements on that L7 website, and found no justification for paying x2 for the beefier models (DX3 or C200). The DX1 seems to be too damn good even before you factor in its competitive pricing. I just hope those measurements are legit :)

shivver

Okay guys, I really tried to resist, but I couldn't. The 11.11 discounts on Aliexpress are really good this year, I don't remember such generosity ever before. Grabbed the DX1 for $69 and even considered DX3+ or SMSL C200 for 150 an 160 respectively. If anyone was waiting for a good deal - this might be your moment!

View attachment 240654

I have also re-studied the measurements on that L7 website, and found no justification for paying x2 for the beefier models (DX3 or C200). The DX1 seems to be too damn good even before you factor in its competitive pricing. I just hope those measurements are legit :)
How did you get that price? The maximum I can get is 95$.
Thanks

Alexium

How did you get that price? The maximum I can get is 95$.
Thanks
That's odd, the base price is $87, but you immediately get $10 off due to the "$5 off every $30 spent" discount. If you add another $3 worth of goods to the order (sso that the total is over 90), you'll get $5 more off. Plus $3.83 discount with coins for me. I'll PM you a link to the exact listing I bought.

mnotik

just received it couple of hours ago, testing all my headphones and iems, so far enough power for my taste through all of them, no lack of bass or any sign of weakness, I am listening from 11 to 2 range in high gain.

loving the small size and convenience with the single USB cable.

shivver

Ok with all the coupons, discounts etc, I've got it for 80$ ;) Thanks a lot! If I won't be happy then I will get DX3 Pro+. I currently own CA Dacmagic 100 and Topping L30 but it makes too many cables on my desk.

cybernaut667

That's odd, the base price is $87, but you immediately get $10 off due to the "$5 off every $30 spent" discount. If you add another $3 worth of goods to the order (sso that the total is over 90), you'll get $5 more off. Plus $3.83 discount with coins for me. I'll PM you a link to the exact listing I bought.
Why can't you just post it here, is there a rule against it

shivver

Why can't you just post it here, is there a rule against it
All the offers on Aliexpress are the same, there is no price difference. I've got it from shenzenaudio.

ArturoKiwi

In Italy the DX1 is at 99€ and I'm very tempted.
What I don't understand is the difference with the E30 II, a part that this one has 2 AK4493S
I just "saw" how stupid was my question... sorry

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In Italy the DX1 is at 99€ and I'm very tempted.
What I don't understand is the difference with the E30 II, a part that this one has 2 AK4493S
I just "saw" how stupid was my question... sorry
E30 II has a little better specs in noise, distortion and crosstalk. But they are very close, the DX1 is 33% cheaper and has a decent headphone amp for IEMs, so the better value.

Top Bottom