• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

Veri

Master Contributor
Any advice on amping the HD600 and wether it'll make a difference would be greatly appreciated!
Realistically, no it shouldn't make a big or noticeable difference. L30 should do fine though :) my amp is an A20h and I don't even need to go over low gain for my HD600, just to illustrate that their power requirements are a bit exaggerated..

Real_Dan

Yes. Plenty of volume for the HD600, even with lots of negative pre amp to EQ the bass up to Harman.

No. Both devices are flat (without sound character).
Thank you, exactly why I am looking at the amp because with my Sonarworks EQ it adds a much needed bass bump but then subtracts allot of headroom to avoid clipping. I almost max out my volume most of the time and am also a bit concerned this is affecting transparency in the bass (having more headroom is the other motivation).

Flat response is exactly what I'm looking for when mixing (the sonarworks boost is said to bring the hd600 "closer to flat" below 100hz apparently)

Realistically, no it shouldn't make a big or noticeable difference. L30 should do fine though :) my amp is an A20h and I don't even need to go over low gain for my HD600, just to illustrate that their power requirements are a bit exaggerated..

Thank you good to know, I am aware of the "classic diminishing returns" that I am chasing but on the off chance it does make a difference I'll give it a shot.

Hearing allot that the HD600 scale well with a good amp and I've been wanting to try it out for a while. This DX1 looks like a great value, closer to the Topping L30II than I can find anywhere at this price point (also I already sold the scarlett since I don't use any mic inputs whatsoever, but now I am missing my volume knob lol).

Guess even a small improvement in transients or any definition will be an added bonus! Nice amp btw!

Thanks!

rabellogp

Hi, total noob here

Would this be sufficient to drive Sennheiser HD 600 at a "sort of similar" quality level to the topping L30 II? or is it more designed for IEMS?

I was told L30 II is an excellent standard for a transparent amp for mixing headphones.

Coming from a Scarlett solo 3rd gen which apparently does not have a great HP amp.. looking for a small bump in bass and transient definition if this will get it for me?

Used to have HD660S and am missing that transient clarity and bass definition that I used to have. Had to sell the HD660S because I just mix way better on the HD600.. I know weird situation. some day I'll buy the 660 again but I still love these no doubt.

Any advice on amping the HD600 and wether it'll make a difference would be greatly appreciated!

If it's of any help, I've bought a DX1 and I have a HD650.
I set it up with my FiiO E09k connected to DX1 line output, left them side by side and listened to a lot of songs switching between the FiiO and DX1 own amp. Couldn't hear any difference.

Tremore

Finally got my unit delivered, can say im pleasently surprised with the highs improved compared to previous one between my PC and AVR (Audioquest DragonFly Red)

With headphones attached to it i have to crank the volume up quite a bit both in the unit itself and headphones but it does deliver what i need so its all good (Sennheiser HDR 170) and i do like that i dont have to keep my AVR on all the time since im mostly using headphones

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wish the DX1 had an additional switch to select between fixed, always-on, LO and variable (preamp), auto-mute, LO… That would make DX1 the perfect PC interface for active speakers / headphone listening.

I said before Topping and SMSL is stellar at audio performance per $, but both disappoint at providing basic QoL functions.

Switching speakers and headphones on the desktop isn't exactly a niche use case for a product like a DX1. This could be implemented simply by muting the line outs once the headphone volume knob rises above zero which wouldn't require jack sensing circuitry.

Alexium

Finally, a clear explanation on why someone would need to mute the line out. I agree, it makes sense.

Vexed hex

So iv had my DX1 for a while now and have nothing negative to say about it, its a very good combo DAC/AMP for anyone that wants a simple solution no frills. Its a very clean DAC/AMP, smooth (no sibilancies or ear fatigue) and is very detailed. The dx1 has a very musical tonality and invites you to crank the volume higher than you would normally on other dac amps. The dx1 uses the akm 4493s VELVET which lives up to expectations. Iv had mostly ESS chip dacs as they were more common than AKM chip dacs. Recently we are starting to see an uptick in more AKM dacs which is a pleasant surprise. Coming from an SSL SU8 version 2 paired with JDS atom amp I find this dx1 maybe to edge that combo out. Mainly because there is just a little extra something in the sound of the DX1 that makes it so enjoyable to listen to. I dont know if maybe my DX1 is different than everyone else's but it really just wants me to lean back close my eyes and just melt into my music =D

ironwolf60

So iv had my DX1 for a while now and have nothing negative to say about it, its a very good combo DAC/AMP for anyone that wants a simple solution no frills. Its a very clean DAC/AMP, smooth (no sibilancies or ear fatigue) and is very detailed. The dx1 has a very musical tonality and invites you to crank the volume higher than you would normally on other dac amps. The dx1 uses the akm 4493s VELVET which lives up to expectations. Iv had mostly ESS chip dacs as they were more common than AKM chip dacs. Recently we are starting to see an uptick in more AKM dacs which is a pleasant surprise. Coming from an SSL SU8 version 2 paired with JDS atom amp I find this dx1 maybe to edge that combo out. Mainly because there is just a little extra something in the sound of the DX1 that makes it so enjoyable to listen to. I dont know if maybe my DX1 is different than everyone else's but it really just wants me to lean back close my eyes and just melt into my music =D

these newer akm chips have more stage and smoothness; while ess have better resolution and dynamics

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
these newer akm chips have more stage and smoothness; while ess have better resolution and dynamics
That is your imagination working for you and not your science mind... :D The differences between those DACs are so small that mere mortals, can't hear a difference. One needs to be a hearing god to differentiate the difference if there is one.

skif

Does something threaten due to the simultaneous playback of speakers and headphones?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Funny. Does it mean new AKM DAC chips is lesser quality according to FiiO?
Does this device (and Topping) prove it otherwise? (to be fair FiiO refers to "According to the feedback from most audiophiles..." )

Dude, there's more $$$ to be made when pandering to placebophiles versus when not, regardless of facts.

It's not exactly hard to connect the dots.

ironwolf60

Funny. Does it mean new AKM DAC chips is lesser quality according to FiiO?
Does this device (and Topping) prove it otherwise? (to be fair FiiO refers to "According to the feedback from most audiophiles..." )

Lesser quality? Yes, but it's also more musical.
What do you think it's better: higher quality, but less musical, or lesser quality but more musical.
I personally use both according to type of music and my mood on the day.

LDvo

What do you think it's better: higher quality, but less musical, or lesser quality but more musical.
I personally use both according to type of music and my mood on the

Lesser quality? Yes - I used and listened both. Why do you think new AKM chips are lesser quality ? Just qurious bc both brands have higher and lower models

ironwolf60

Lesser quality? Yes - I used and listened both. Why do you think new AKM chips are lesser quality ? Just qurious bc both brands have higher and lower models

Lesser quality is not worse measurements. Lesser quality is more musical and can sound better in many cases, allows for a more fun listening experience at higher volumes

ArturoKiwi

Lesser quality is not worse measurements. Lesser quality is more musical and can sound better in many cases, allows for a more fun listening experience at higher volumes
You are ironic... I hope

Top Bottom