• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 Owners Thread

dartinbout

I'd like to get the party started. I will have no objective responses because as a solitary, retired, bachelor who lives in strict quarantine there is noooobody to run a blind ABX test with the Okto Dac 8 Pro. I will say that I love what I have heard in the short time I've listened. More to come.

OP
D

dartinbout

I have a couple of technical nits to pick (why does that phrase always call to mind simian grooming?) When placed in a stack with my DX7 Pro, the same IR remote commands work on both the DM7 and the DX7.

I miss the volume dial as I sometime just like to physically crank it up.

I can play stereo 32\384 and 32\768 stereo through DOP in J.River without setting it as the default (as the manual shows). However, once it did make a moderately popping sound and then would no longer play anything other the 24\192 and below. Neither a power cycle nor an unplug solved the problem. It did display a "DFU" at one point through one power cycle. DFU? Device Firmware Update?

I have the DX7 Pro and it has the wacky hidden menu feature (Hold the front multifunction button and power cycle). I then punched through to the end and reset the unit. All is well and it plays as advertised. It even plays the 32\384 and 32\768. Funny thing is the display shows DSD 2.68 mhz when it does.

Until I get one set of the "spendy" Topping TRS to XLR adapters, I am using 3 sets of these.
I just moved the XLR's from Okto and connected to the DM7. Easy Peasy

Other nits: My powered sub only has RCA in. With Okto, I used one of the mentioned XLR to RCA interconnects and it worked fine (a small noise on a power cycle). On the DM7, I get a much louder BOOM (not worrying) but.... If, as many of you are considering, connecting your RCA only amps to the DM7, through such adapters, be prepared for a considerable 8 channel BOOOOOOOM. It will scare your house pets, kids, wife and possibly your house plants. Since I have none of them, no problem.

Overall I consider this to be lateral move, from the Okto, in regards to sound quality. I love the DAC 8 Pro but I am #5 of the production run with v. 1.0 firmware. As I bought this used, I don't expect to ever get any technical support, firmware updates, a card for my birthday or even a call the next day after a particularly rigorous listening session. Pavel, if you are reading this, where's the romance?

That's all for now.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
I can play stereo 32\384 and 32\768 stereo through DOP in J.River without setting it as the default (as the manual shows). However, once it did make a moderately popping sound and then would no longer play anything other the 24\192 and below. Neither a power cycle nor an unplug solved the problem. It did display a "DFU" at one point through one power cycle. DFU? Device Firmware Update?
Other nits: My powered sub only has RCA in. With Okto, I used one of the mentioned XLR to RCA interconnects and it worked fine (a small noise on a power cycle). On the DM7, I get a much louder BOOM (not worrying) but.... If, as many of you are considering, connecting your RCA only amps to the DM7, through such adapters, be prepared for a considerable 8 channel BOOOOOOOM. It will scare your house pets, kids, wife and possibly your house plants. Since I have none of them, no problem.
Man,you just described the horror!

(almost kidding,hope you'll enjoy it!)

Last edited:

JulioCat

1658510169617.png

1658510223210.png

I Just receive mine, i can confirm Roon Bridge Roopie recognize the Dac as 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 device

1658510249777.png

OP
D

dartinbout

If the term "topping" didn't already have vague sexual connotations, I would coin the term "Topping" in regards to their competitors, in this 2022 market, for high performance\low cost audio gear.

I no longer can compare the Okto to the DM7 as I have wildly changed my L\R speakers. I had a beryllium tweeter transplant.

ppataki

Major Contributor
My DM7 has arrived this morning! :D:D:D
Love the pure DAC mode and the option to choose 5V output + the 7 different PCM reconstruction filters

A few observations:
- Neutrik XLR to TRS adapters don't fit! (you cannot even plug 2 next to each other)
20220718_115506.jpg

- on the other hand these narrower, noname adapters do fit nicely
20220729_132843.jpg

- compared to Okto I hear a louder hiss from the speakers.....would be curious about other forum members' experience with this

This week I am on holiday but next week I will re-measure and re-calibrate my whole system + I will measure all 7 reconstruction filters to see if there is any measurable difference in a living room environment at the main listening position
In the meantime the DM7 is undergoing a 'burn-in' process at home so by the time I reach back home there shall be around 160 hours in it
(if it is worth or not I really don't know but at least it will be done FWIW)

OP
D

dartinbout

Man,you just described the horror!

(almost kidding,hope you'll enjoy it!)
I can report that it never entered that protection mode again. I have thrown 5.1, 7.1, 4.0, 2.0 and 1.0 at the little pit bull. I've up-converted, down-converted and played native channel tunes. I've played with upconverting PCM to DSD and down. I still run into the limits of the chipset. DSD 128\64 multichannel tunes plays natively but any other codec whimpers. I can get any anything below DSD\128 MC to play 5.1\7.1 at 24\192.

All I've done to prepare this device to run a multi-core nuclear reactor, as so many here seem driven to use the DM7 for, is I set distance, volume matching (although I play with the center channel settings for movies\tv) and crossover.

It has worked flawlessly but for the early hiccup. As a quarantined, retiree I use it for 12-14 hours every day (with the occasional stray into my DX7 Pro\Burson Vivds (in the pre-amp) or my Schiit Gungir for baseball game soundtracks instead of Joe Buck.

My highly vetted technical advice is.......find beautiful music, listen to it. It will keep you happy, young and according to recent studies, stave off dementia (posts on this website would suggest this is an on going concern for many of you:eek:)

OP
D

dartinbout

My DM7 has arrived this morning! :D:D:D
Love the pure DAC mode and the option to choose 5V output + the 7 different PCM reconstruction filters

A few observations:
- Neutrik XLR to TRS adapters don't fit! (you cannot even plug 2 next to each other)
View attachment 221324

- on the other hand these narrower, noname adapters do fit nicely
View attachment 221327

- compared to Okto I hear a louder hiss from the speakers.....would be curious about other forum members' experience with this

This week I am on holiday but next week I will re-measure and re-calibrate my whole system + I will measure all 7 reconstruction filters to see if there is any measurable difference in a living room environment at the main listening position
In the meantime the DM7 is undergoing a 'burn-in' process at home so by the time I reach back home there shall be around 160 hours in it
(if it is worth or not I really don't know but at least it will be done FWIW)
These worked perfectly fine and left plenty of room on the back panel.

Mowz

I'm getting no hiss from pc->dm7->schiit aegir->ls50 meta at Max volume. Fun to finally run my sub crossovers without either a minidsp or a dbx analog xo after the dac!

Mowz

I run 2 powered subs and these took away the womp when I forget: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUG7M86?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

grizaudio

View attachment 219777
View attachment 219778

I Just receive mine, i can confirm Roon Bridge Roopie recognize the Dac as 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 device

View attachment 219779
Can I please ask which OS are you running? Rock, Ubuntu, Win10/11, IOS ?
I would love to hear from users of the Topping DM7 running Linux/Ubuntu.

I currently us a Motu Mk5 Ultralite, and I am tempted by this unit for its trigger and new ESS DAC.
I am also hoping the Topping DM7 might change sampling/bit rates faster than the Motu Mk5, which is slow at about 4 seconds between rate changes.

The Motu is considered class compliant and plays ball under Linux Ubuntu & Latest Ropieee builds - no issues.
The Motu changes sample rates, inline with source - no issues.

Signal chain is:
Intel NUC S4 running Roon Rock > (USB) > Raspberry Pi4b >(USB) > Intona 7055-B > (USB) > Motu Mk5 Ultralite 10 channel DAC

ppataki

Major Contributor

I currently us a Motu Mk5 Ultralite, and I am tempted by this unit for its trigger and new ESS DAC.
I am also hoping the Topping DM7 might change sampling/bit rates faster than the Motu Mk5, which is slow at about 4 seconds between rate changes.

The Motu is considered class compliant and plays ball under Linux Ubuntu & Latest Ropieee builds - no issues.

Signal chain is:
Intel NUC S4 running Roon Rock > (USB) > Raspberry Pi4b >(USB) > Intona 7055-B > (USB) > Motu Mk5 Ultralite 10 channel DAC
I use it under Win11 so cannot comment on Ubuntu
Sample rate change is only a fraction of a second
With pro audio interfaces like the MOTU it takes much longer - I had a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre and then an Apollo X4 and both behaved the same way and I definitely found that annoying...
So with the Topping, that is not the case

OP
D

dartinbout

Are veils lifted?

OP
D

dartinbout

Signal chain is:
I run a purpose built Win10 on a fan-less, open bench rig. It's pretty old but it's dead stable.

Top Bottom