• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 240 75.7%

• Total voters

jdubs

Forum Donor
Has anyone tried 384k on ALL 8 outputs? The chip is capable of it, though the Topping website says 192k. I emailed them to ask but haven't heard back yet.

-Jim

dartinbout

Has anyone tried 384k on ALL 8 outputs? The chip is capable of it, though the Topping website says 192k. I emailed them to ask but haven't heard back yet.

-Jim
It didn't' work for me. I converted them to DSD128 in J. River.

EliGuy

Just got mine in the mail, will give impressions once Ive had a chance to try it. Bought to do active 4 ways for speaker design. Ive previously used receivers on the 7.1 channel outs along with Equalizer APO and have had success but finding the right receiver is a hassle and using it without requiring all the other features of the receiver itself always seemed like a waste. This is an excellent addition from Topping! I will use Rephase to do the Fir Filters and then just put the convolutions for each driver in Equalizer APO. Works flawlessly for those who dont mind using a pc as a source. I also got a NAD CI 980 8 channel amplifier each with its own attenuator which works great for level control of each driver. Using this system you can performance of WORLD CLASS speakers for less that $2k plus the drivers/enclosure lol and have alot of fun doing it

AudioKC

Got mine to use in Dirac Live Bass Control (L+R + 2 channels for subs). Works perfectly well.

I like the availability of “trigger out”. Now Hypex AMP turned on by DAC. Perfect.

wjp007

I finally have my DM7 setup for multichannel music running. My previous setup was a Denon x3700h AVR. My goal was to get to a cleaner setup using the DM7 as a DAC/Preamp. I don't have a center channel speaker so that made things a tricker.

My setup is fairly complex but works well now.
1) Source - Laptop running Foobar with Dirac Multichannel license and DLBC, also running Voicemeeter banana
2) DAC - Topping DM7
3) Speakers - KEF LS50 Meta and SVS SB-2000 sub
4) AMPs - New DIY Icepower 1200as2 and Topping PA5

My first challenge was my Sub only accepts unbalanced RCA. I'm not happy with this setup, but I ended up using an ART Cleanbox Pro to do the balanced to unbalanced conversion. I tried to make a simple TRS to RCA cable, but I kept getting 60hz hum no matter what I did. Both amps can take a 5V output from the DM7, but the ART cleanbox pro distorts so I have to keep the DM7 at 4V. The result is I have to keep my DM7 at fairly high gain (-10db) for moderate levels. I wish there was a better affordable way to do the balanced to unbalanced conversion.

Second challenge was that I don't have a center speaker. If I setup DIRAC in 4.1 mode it worked fine unless I played content with a center channel which some of the multichannel albums have. Foobar would puke. Luckily there is a wonderful application Voicemeeter. With the 8x8 matrix app included in the Banana version, I could downmix 5.1 to 4.1 by adding 50% of the center to the left and right channels. Works great.

So far it's working well. I'm going to give the Icepower some time to break in. I honestly preferred the Denon setup. The top end just doesn't sparkle. I also think the imaging was better. I do think the new setup has less distortion and sounds much cleaner though.

himey

I finally have my DM7 setup for multichannel music running. My previous setup was a Denon x3700h AVR. My goal was to get to a cleaner setup using the DM7 as a DAC/Preamp. I don't have a center channel speaker so that made things a tricker.

My setup is fairly complex but works well now.
1) Source - Laptop running Foobar with Dirac Multichannel license and DLBC, also running Voicemeeter banana
2) DAC - Topping DM7
3) Speakers - KEF LS50 Meta and SVS SB-2000 sub
4) AMPs - New DIY Icepower 1200as2 and Topping PA5

My first challenge was my Sub only accepts unbalanced RCA. I'm not happy with this setup, but I ended up using an ART Cleanbox Pro to do the balanced to unbalanced conversion. I tried to make a simple TRS to RCA cable, but I kept getting 60hz hum no matter what I did. Both amps can take a 5V output from the DM7, but the ART cleanbox pro distorts so I have to keep the DM7 at 4V. The result is I have to keep my DM7 at fairly high gain (-10db) for moderate levels. I wish there was a better affordable way to do the balanced to unbalanced conversion.

Second challenge was that I don't have a center speaker. If I setup DIRAC in 4.1 mode it worked fine unless I played content with a center channel which some of the multichannel albums have. Foobar would puke. Luckily there is a wonderful application Voicemeeter. With the 8x8 matrix app included in the Banana version, I could downmix 5.1 to 4.1 by adding 50% of the center to the left and right channels. Works great.

So far it's working well. I'm going to give the Icepower some time to break in. I honestly preferred the Denon setup. The top end just doesn't sparkle. I also think the imaging was better. I do think the new setup has less distortion and sounds much cleaner though.
jRiver "Zones" work well for the channel reassignment issue due to no center channel.

Are you using ASIO or WASAPI?

wjp007

jRiver "Zones" work well for the channel reassignment issue due to no center channel.

Are you using ASIO or WASAPI?
I believe it’s WASPI

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Mine runs with DIYINHK ASIO driver.

dartinbout

AudioKC

I tried to make a simple TRS to RCA cable, but I kept getting 60hz hum no matter what I did.

Did you used TRS to RCA or TS to RCA?

I’m using TS to RCA and it works perfectly. TRS replaced with TS coverts Balanced to Unbalanced correctly.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I’m using TS to RCA and it works perfectly. TRS replaced with TS coverts Balanced to Unbalanced correctly.
It does not convert balanced to unbalanced. It uses only the (+) signal and grounds the (-).

AudioKC

well, quoting one of the pro equipment users… it works for me

These sockets and plugs are designed to work in exactly this way. When you plug a 'TS' plug into a TRS balanced jack socket, the "ring and sleeve" are bridged. This is exactly the correct way to unbalance a balanced connection. It works in the way it was designed to.

Additionally, by unbalancing that output connection, you reduce the level of the output by 6dB.

wjp007

Did you used TRS to RCA or TS to RCA?

I made my own TRS to rca. Sleeve to sleeve, tip to tip. Tried ring to tip and it didn’t make and difference. Wouldn’t TS short one of the balanced outputs to ground?

AudioKC

I made my own TRS to rca. Sleeve to sleeve, tip to tip. Tried ring to tip and it didn’t make and difference. Wouldn’t TS short one of the balanced outputs to ground?
I just used TS to RCA adapter and connected to TRS output of DM7. Please see me quoting Pro engineer that explains why TS to balanced TRS is OK. And it works fine, except pop sound from sub when I turn off DAC (well, now I just leave DAC on or turn sub off first).

wjp007

I just used TS to RCA adapter and connected to TRS output of DM7. Please see me quoting Pro engineer that explains why TS to balanced TRS is OK. And it works fine, except pop sound from sub when I turn off DAC (well, now I just leave DAC on or turn sub off first).
I get what you are saying but my understanding is the same as the earlier post by @russtafarian. I’m glad it woks for you, but I would be concerned about damaging the DM7 outputs by shorting the ring to sleeve.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...g-dm7-8-channel-dac-review.35661/post-1441052

AudioKC

I see, I will ask Topping about that.

DO NOT use a ¼“ TS plug (no ring conductor). A ¼“ TS plug will short the inverted signal to ground when inserted into the ¼“ TRS balanced output.

Not sure why they not designed devices with such capability, it’s obvious feature to use.

Top Bottom