• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 75.8%

• Total voters

dartinbout

That’s not relevant. HDMI licensing is not applied on the basis of how well the unit measures, just on whether or not it uses an HDMI port or ports.

HDMI licensing is, I understand, $15,000 a year. So if you sold 15,000 units it’d be $1 a unit. If you sold 1,500 units it’d be $10 per unit. If you sold 150 units it’d be $100 per unit.

This is a $600 unit. I suspect +$50 (total price $600) wouldn’t reduce sales significantly. A bit of maths - they’d need to sell 300 units at a $50 price increase.
Hahaahahhahanah. Another voice heard to require HDMI. I'm sure Mr. Yang will be sure to get right on fulfilling their request (right after he cures cancer, the yips and whatever is driving Elon's coke habit). Seriously, this model is not an avr adjunct or a replacement. It is a device, pretty obvious in it's intent, to play music. Music that is encoded as 7.1 (or whatever number you want) and has the capability of playing that, in DSD128, unmodified. I'm curious, in your dream world, what source are you going to use to take advantage of this device or do the Kardashian's have a secret streaming source that can somehow play, multichannel, hi-res audio (and drumroll please, can do that through HDMI)?

You may ask, but can it be used for the enjoyment of video sound tracks? Of course, padawan, I just enjoyed the first episode of Tim Burton's delicious new series "Wednesday" in all of it's 5.1 glory but that is just the proverbial "side piece" to my earlier evening's treat
1669208474038.jpeg

Razorhelm

The Topping DM7 is built for pc users who need more than 2 channels, that's it, if it is not the product you want don't buy it.

This desire for ticking every possible box is why AVRs all measure so badly, they include every possible feature spending less and less on each part and more and more on licensing. It's funny that this feature requesting for the DM7 is partially driven because AVRs are so bad.

This is the benefit of focusing on one thing and doing that thing well.

For those of us who need it this device is perfect, I have just bought 1 and it is literally perfect for my use case.

Trell

Major Contributor
$599 ? You get HDMI audio extractors for <$20.

It’s difficult to imagine that, if you can include an HDMI on and out on a $20 item, that’ll the licensing could be probitive on a $600 item.

I stand to be corrected.

Here you have a stereo DAC with HDMI ARC that can down mix multichannel formats from Dolby and DTS. Pricey, though.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Hahaahahhahanah. Another voice heard to require HDMI. I'm sure Mr. Yang will be sure to get right on fulfilling their request (right after he cures cancer, the yips and whatever is driving Elon's coke habit). Seriously, this model is not an avr adjunct or a replacement. It is a device, pretty obvious in it's intent, to play music. Music that is encoded as 7.1 (or whatever number you want) and has the capability of playing that, in DSD128, unmodified. I'm curious, in your dream world, what source are you going to use to take advantage of this device or do the Kardashian's have a secret streaming source that can somehow play, multichannel, hi-res audio (and drumroll please, can do that through HDMI)?

You may ask, but can it be used for the enjoyment of video sound tracks? Of course, padawan, I just enjoyed the first episode of Tim Burton's delicious new series "Wednesday" in all of it's 5.1 glory but that is just the proverbial "side piece" to my earlier evening's treatView attachment 245529

I was merely pointing out that the argument about HDMI licensing costs appears to be inaccurate.

Mowz

Kind of a tangential answer but maybe it will get you closer. I use trs to xlr with this on the end:

Neutrik NA2F-D2B-TX XLR Female to RCA/Phono Socket, Red​

This is recommended as a second best solution (your sought after solution was third best).

Finally I am using this which is a type of the best recommended solution. Sorry this thread is so long I should have bookmarked what I am referencing.

http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model898B.html

The main point made on this thread has been a straight adapter solution is at your own risk and could result in equipment damage. The designer of the product says in this thread explicitly do not connect this dac directly to an unbalanced device.

At the very least you should use something like the neutrik adapters unless you don't care if you need to buy new stuff if something goes wrong.

da Choge

Forum Donor
Finally I am using this which is a type of the best recommended solution. Sorry this thread is so long I should have bookmarked what I am referencing.

http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model898B.html
Mowz:

How do you like your Sonic Imagery 8 Channel Balanced to Unbalanced Converter? It is still definitely on my list, but I actually got the Tascam LA-81MKII. I haven't set it up yet, as I am waiting on the arrival of an amplifier that I have ordered (didn't want to rewire twice). The Sonic Imagery actually specs-out better than the Tascam. I may need both; one for my main setup and one for a bedroom setup. I will use both just for conversion of the surround/subwoofer channels, not the main stereo channels. However, I got the Tascam first because it has already been discontinued, and yet a unit in very good condition was available on eBay for a great price.

Mowz

Mowz:

How do you like your Sonic Imagery 8 Channel Balanced to Unbalanced Converter? It is still definitely on my list, but I actually got the Tascam LA-81MKII. I haven't set it up yet, as I am waiting on the arrival of an amplifier that I have ordered (didn't want to rewire twice). The Sonic Imagery actually specs-out better than the Tascam. I may need both; one for my main setup and one for a bedroom setup. I will use both just for conversion of the surround/subwoofer channels, not the main stereo channels. However, I got the Tascam first because it has already been discontinued, and yet a unit in very good condition was available on eBay for a great price.
I would have picked that up but I couldn't find one. I see one on ebay now though. It is more attractive than the sonic imagery unit but I like that the sonic imagery unit has multiple wiring options should that be necessary. It works as advertised though I haven't measured it in any way. I do see on the Tasca there are some individual switches but on sonic imagery the switches are for each set of 8 converters so as long as you don't need different wiring setups it's fine. Also the source plugs are in front so you will have plugs in front and in back so I have it tucked away behind my dac. The power switch is in front so I reach behind the dac to turn it on. Shipping was fast and the unit is well documented, both online and in print with the unit.

ESS9038

I was able to use the Monoprice TS to RCA adapter. Its playing jazz right now.

Ill eventually buy a balanced 3 channel power amplifier for LCR and use my current Denon receiver for the surrounds. Should be fine despite it being unbalanced.

MemeScreen

I would have purchased this in a heart-beat if it had an HDMI-i2s port. Don't think that requires any licensing but could be wrong about that. If a new DM7 or DM9 comes with one I'll be on it.

Last edited:

Kane1972

Please excuse my ignorance but what or how would an 8 channel DAC be used?
You can use this in professional surround sound mixing or for analogue summing purposes if mixing in stereo. You would send out 8 channels of premixed stems (guitars, strings, vocals, drums etc) into an anlogue summing mixer. This is preferred by many mix engineers, as they like the sound the analogue summing device adds, rather than have the computer sum (mix down) the tracks to stereo.

tinnitus

I use digital xover (FIR filter), and for two way Speakers i need four Channels and for four way then 8

D

Deleted member 35357

For people complaining about no HDMI or unbalanced output, but also lack of ATMOS support.

There is another product for you people called Canton Smart Connect 5.1

I was looking for this as a AVR replacement idea if you want all the HDMI interfacing.

The Topping DM7 is really for PC enthusiasts as a top-line sound card replacement. If all you do is use PC as source with it's flexibility.

D

Deleted member 35357

It's not a sound card replacement. It's a DAC, plain and simple.
But it's exactly just as functional as a sound card would be for a PC, literally it's only use.

Though a better performing one.

I bet someone might have just sold this for PC crowd as a 8 channel soundcard for a even higher price with other branding name and including their own software stack to compliment it for that "premium" gamer gimmick of theirs they like to feature on their marketing.

If topping isn't to brand protective they could supply the board as a "OEM" to third parties for this product and they could provide the PC software solution if it's not in toppings interest to provide such.
Though there could be some branding damage if they botch their implementations & marketing of the product but they could sell even more of these if they could work as a OEM manufacturer to third parties with thier top-line engineering solutions.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
But it's exactly just as functional as a sound card would be for a PC, literally it's only use.
How would you define a "sound card" and how would you differentiate it from a DAC? Give examples of each, please.

Sokel

Master Contributor

Though a better performing one.

I bet someone might have just sold this for PC crowd as a 8 channel soundcard for a even higher price with other branding name and including their own software stack to compliment it for that "premium" gamer gimmick of theirs they like to feature on their marketing.

If topping isn't to brand protective they could supply the board as a "OEM" to third parties for this product and they could provide the PC software solution if it's not in toppings interest to provide such.
Though there could be some branding damage if they botch their implementations & marketing of the product but they could sell even more of these if they could work as a OEM manufacturer to third parties with thier top-line engineering solutions.
Soundcards usually have a lot more options,Mic in,SPIDF out (some in too),headphone amps,etc.
That's just an 8 channel DAC,no ADC,etc.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sound card = multipurpose audio device installed inside a PC, interfacing via PCI or PCIe, usually with headphone output, line output, multichannel out, as well as Line input and microphone input
pdt-mhl-audigy-rx.png image010.png

MCH

Major Contributor
Well, it needs a computer to work, I guess it is fair to call it a card. Now, how many cards out there have display and remote?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Well, it needs a computer to work, I guess it is fair to call it a card. Now, how many cards out there have display and remote?
There are some strange stuff out there like this one:

Mostly gaming oriented thought.

Top Bottom