• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 240 75.7%

• Total voters

Jesal

Do you guys think DM7 will be an upgrade sonically to my 10 year old lynx aurora 8 dac? Thanks

MCH

Major Contributor
Do you guys think DM7 will be an upgrade sonically to my 10 year old lynx aurora 8 dac? Thanks
Amir measured one, not bad at all:
Seems you will be loosing the adc functionality with the topping. Sonically, let me bet that most people here will tell you you won't notice the difference.

Jesal

Amir measured one, not bad at all:
Seems you will be loosing the adc functionality with the topping. Sonically, let me bet that most people here will tell you you won't notice the difference.
Thanks, I'm not using the ADC, and I can sell the aurora for more than I can get the DM7. Hmnn... I was thinking it's a substantial jump from my aging DAC.

bobdog

Quick or maybe not so quick question. I want to start ripping my multichannel discs to my Roon library and play them through my main system which is based on a Micro Rendu endpoint. I run a Parasound P7 7.1 channel analog preamp . Is it as simple as hooking this up to the micro Rendu and sourcing some TRS to RCA conversion cables? Does this DAC have volume adjustment and delay settings to calibrate channels? I have been eying the OCTO DAC8Pro but apparently not available..

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Is it as simple as hooking this up to the micro Rendu and sourcing some TRS to RCA conversion cables?
Does the microRendu support multichannel output over USB?
Does this DAC have volume adjustment and delay settings to calibrate channels?
It has volume adjustment for presetting but you will probably want to use the VC in the Parasound. It does not have any delay settings but Roon does.

bobdog

The Micro Rendu supports multichannel depending on the DAC apparently (Linux based). I am not sure if the DM7 is compatible or not.

I am reading some worrying things about the performance of Topping balanced DACs when conversion cables are used. The multichannel inputs on my preamp are unbalanced RCA only.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The Micro Rendu supports multichannel depending on the DAC apparently (Linux based). I am not sure if the DM7 is compatible or not.
I have never used any Rendu, so I cannot comment on its compatibility but the DM7 docs say:
1664981652749.png

So, for windows, I use the downloadable driver but I do not know what the Linux situation is. However, if Roon sees the DM7 through the Rendu, you can possibly load the driver on your Roon Core host.

VoidX

Did you use Cavern? I know someone who is working on a better gui for album conversions rather than one file at a time, and you won't need scripts.
We could arrange a collab if you guide me to that someone. CLI for Cavernize GUI (CLI for GUI, lol, I'll drop the GUI name) just dropped yesterday, batch conversion of folders is now possible. I'll add a folder conversion option to the GUI, but it'll take a long time as many refactors are needed.

Last edited:

dartinbout

dartinbout

I have no idea about this but I have had a couple of soundcards that do 7.1 24\192. As the resident MC DSD heretic here this wouldn't suit my needs but others might like it's $200 cost.

ArturoKiwi

Hi to all, I'm sorry about my noob question, but is there a way to use an 8ch DAC like the dm7 with a audio/video preamplifier?

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi to all, I'm sorry about my noob question, but is there a way to use an 8ch DAC like the dm7 with a audio/video preamplifier?
Yes, as long as your preamp has multichannel in, you can run the output from the DAC into the multichannel in on the preamp.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes, as long as your preamp has multichannel in, you can run the output from the DAC into the multichannel in on the preamp.
Not really. The output from the DM7 is balanced and I do not know of any AVP with multichannel balanced inputs. To use the unbalanced inputs in your AVP (presuming that the AVP does not redigitize the signals), you need a bunch of baluns or active converters to properly derive the unbalanced feed.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not really. The output from the DM7 is balanced and I do not know of any AVP with multichannel balanced inputs. To use the unbalanced inputs in your AVP (presuming that the AVP does not redigitize the signals), you need a bunch of baluns or active converters to properly derive the unbalanced feed.
I've read elsewhere people using balanced > RCA cables with this DAC without issue except for worse noise. Would I do this? No, but I don't see why you can't.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've read elsewhere people using balanced > RCA cables with this DAC without issue except for worse noise. Would I do this? No, but I don't see why you can't.
Sure, you could do it. But the observation that neither you nor I would do it says something about it as a general recommendation.

Top Bottom