• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 240 75.7%

• Total voters

mgbpuff

Unless they like +12db @32Hz (room mode) :facepalm:
I know you are all drunk with technology, but remember DSP only corrects for one point in the room, the MLP. By definition, that alone in itself probably makes some other room positions even worse! Room acoustic treatment is the overall better approach and then the MLP optimization via electronic DSP can be more effective and mor reasonable.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I know you are all drunk with technology, but remember DSP only corrects for one point in the room, the MLP. By definition, that alone in itself probably makes some other room positions even worse! Room acoustic treatment is the overall better approach and then the MLP optimization via electronic DSP can be more effective and mor reasonable.
And that's the reason I pay people to do it for me,as much as I wanted to do it myself.
I can mess with the PC DSP,etc,but the room need knowledge that I don't have (nearly 80m²,not one right angle,etc,good thing I can do whatever I want in it,it's built for fun)
I promise I will post the treatment as it goes,it's not finished yet.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
To be sure. However, there are practical limits to what can be achieved in domestic rooms by physical room acoustic treatments due to their increasing size as the treated frequencies decrease. As a result, practical solutions should incorporate acoustical treatments with DSP.

mgbpuff

To be sure. However, there are practical limits to what can be achieved in domestic rooms by physical room acoustic treatments due to their increasing size as the treated frequencies decrease. As a result, practical solutions should incorporate acoustical treatments with DSP.
Respectfully, the MLP position can be chosen to avoid the absolute worst peaks and nulls of room modes also. Then, as a last resort, or I should say as a final touch up, use DSP correction. Of course, if you can't sit anywhere you want, just do what can be done. My only point is that is a mistake to think that DSP alone can or should even solve all problems.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what they say they preferred but, in my experience, the PCM will always sound better because of the DSP! :)

I essentially agree with you!
Throughout ASR and again in this thread, we find repeated discussions on native DSD playback vs. (on-the-fly) PCM conversion for flexible DSP.

Even though my digital music library of about 25,000 files consists of mixture of various formats of;
16-bit/44.1kHz CD ripped non-compressed aif (majority!),
24-bit/192kHz down-sampled or up-sampled aif,
24-bit/96kHz flac,
24-bit/192kHz flac,
1-bit/DSD64(1x) 2.8MHz dsf,
1-bit/DSD128(2x) 5.6 MHz dsf,
1-bit/DSD256(4x) 11.2 MHz dsf,

I now play all of the tracks by on-the-fly conversion (by JRiver MC) into 88.2 KHz or 96 kHz PCM for flexible DSP (XO/EQ, Time Alignment) processing by "EKIO", as I summarized in my post here;
Summary of rationales for "on-the-fly (real-time)" conversion of all music tracks (including 1 bit DSD tracks) into 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz PCM format for DSP (XO/EQ) processing: post #532 on my project thread.

Last edited:

dartinbout

I've got 250k tracks from 128 mp3\ogg\shn\ra all the way through to DSD1024 (also 32\384 to 32\768 PCM as well), mono, stereo, quad, 5.1, 7.1 and beyond, 3 DACs, 12 channels of amplification and 14 speakers. I use J. River and have 20 zones mixing\matching different playback equipment, 30 different kinds of playlists. I shuffle all of it, find an album and the let the music dictate how I want to play it. All of your suggestions about the "proper" way seem kind of limiting but .......you discipline your simians the way that feels good to you, I'll let "Cheetah" tell me what he wants that day (Tarzan reference for those of you calendar-challenged:cool:)

Last edited:

mga2009

This DAC just got a very, very tough competition...

Also, the Motu Ultralite mk5 is back in stock.

Sokel

Master Contributor
This DAC just got a very, very tough competition...

Also, the Motu Ultralite mk5 is back in stock.
For someone who wants to do active crossover the new Flex is miles beyond.In terms of usability of course.
But let's wait and see for the balanced option...

mga2009

For someone who wants to do active crossover the new Flex is miles beyond.In terms of usability of course.
But let's wait and see for the balanced option...
I agree with you.

The Flex Eight seems to be used only in stereo active XO configuration and not in 5.1/7.1 configuration, or at least is not shown in the product's webpage and the Dirac License only refers as "stereo" configuration.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I agree with you.

The Flex Eight seems to be used only in stereo active XO configuration and not in 5.1/7.1 configuration, or at least is not shown in the product's webpage and the Dirac License only refers as "stereo" configuration.
In the Flex thread they say that's possibly can do that too.
For those who do multichannel might be interesting.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the Flex thread they say that's possibly can do that too.
For those who do multichannel might be interesting.

The Flex Eight is a 2x8 device so it will not be able to accept a multichannel (5.1/7.1) signal. To a computer it will look like a 2 channel device.

What we were discussing in the other thread was using the Flex to implement a DIY version of Dolby Pro Logic which converts a stereo input to 5.1 output. Channel routing would look something like:

Left: L
Right: R
Center: L+R
Rear Left: L-R
Rear Right: R-L

Michael

Sokel

Master Contributor
The Flex Eight is a 2x8 device so it will not be able to accept a multichannel (5.1/7.1) signal. To a computer it will look like a 2 channel device.

What we were discussing in the other thread was using the Flex to implement a DIY version of Dolby Pro Logic which converts a stereo input to 5.1 output. Channel routing would look something like:

Left: L
Right: R
Center: L+R
Rear Left: L-R
Rear Right: R-L

Michael
I'm a complete stranger to multichannel and I think I will remain so.
I stand corrected!

da Choge

Forum Donor
I'm a complete stranger to multichannel and I think I will remain so.
But, the miniDSP Flex Eight is still a very cool, and apparently, well-performing component for those that want to do active cross-overs and subwoofer stereo setups (and with room correction as well !!!). Not the reason I bought the Topping DM7, but it's good to see these kind of units coming out more. It would be really great to see a multichannel DAC with these capabilities! (I wonder if mini-DSP is headed in that direction?)

mga2009

But, the miniDSP Flex Eight is still a very cool, and apparently, well-performing component for those that want to do active cross-overs and subwoofer stereo setups (and with room correction as well !!!). Not the reason I bought the Topping DM7, but it's good to see these kind of units coming out more. It would be really great to see a multichannel DAC with these capabilities!
I agree!

It looks very good! Pair it with some good amps (Purifi, HypeX, etc.) and you have a top notch system to start a stereo 3-way plus 2 subwoofer system! Or maybe a very high end soundbar system for the bedroom (I like this idea, I just need the money! hehehe).

grizaudio

Another question, which hopefully @JohnYang1997 can answer:
Is it DC-coupled, and if so what kind of DC offset performance can we expect?

The two questions (clicks and DC offset) are of high importance if the DAC is to be used to feed tweeters or compression drivers in an active multiway setup.

Hi POS, As a matter of interest, I can confirm the Motu Mk5 Ultralite is dead silent.
No clicks, no pops, running from a Pi4 USB/Ubuntu server.
The DAC also changes sampling rate with source via Roon.

dartinbout

Is there a good reason why this thread has been hijacked by those that wish to tinker with the miniDSP Flex Eight? Aren't there enough dedicated threads to this hardware, without littering the DM7? The miniDSP is pretty much useless in the audio chain that uses this 8 channel balanced dac, anyway:facepalm:. Please feel to correct me, but otherwise, "Get thee hence". Begone with your REW witchcraft and 2 channel spells.

Top Bottom