• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 75.8%

• Total voters

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
That is only for native DSD.
Yes,I understand.So,as is it cannot be used as a crossover implement in software when playing native DSD.
No big deal,every decent player can convert to PCM and everything will be fine,is just the possibility and a little care to avoid potential accidents.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes,I understand.So,as is it cannot be used as a crossover implement in software when playing native DSD.
I don't see that as practical even if it could. Level adjustments are trivial compared to filters/convolutions, especially in DSD.

Impossible

The questions I have with this product is,

What codecs work with it, like dolby, dolby Atmos, etc

Then why have they not included a hdmi input?

How does it compair to a high end av receiver (trinnov)

I could eq on my pc and get better performance then 20k av receiver.

Impossible

An example would be providing a signal to the Linkwitz Lx mini DIY two way speakers combined with a pair of subs, which will require 6 separate channels.

I have been procrastinating for a long time to build these as a retirement project, and initially thought I would need to combine something like 3 pairs of Topping D50s DACs with 3 pairs of stereo amps.

However, the DM7 combined with a Buckeye 6 channel amp, with say 2 x Hypex 252 modules for the tweeters and 4 x Hypex 502 modules for the woofers, would provide a simple and elegant solution and eliminate a lot of clutter. I have no excuses now.

Thanks again Amir for introducing us to such a large range of cost effective high performance gear. This site is exactly what our hobby needs.
Im wanting to do the same but how do you solve the biggest problem with this kind of setup in home theater, EQ/room correction?

E. G. No point having 20+ better sinad when large peeks and dips in frequency are clouding lots of detail. Not to mention phase and timing.

Is any software available?

dartinbout

Holy F___Nutz!
I asked and Topping did it! I Lub dis company!

"Dear Topping

I believe that the chipset is capable of allowing individual channel volume alteration. Is there any plans to update the firmware to allow this functionality?
cleardot.gif

default-user=s80-p

service <[email protected]>​

Thu, Jul 28, 12:23 AM (6 days ago)

Hi,

I will send your feedback to the R&D department.
72.png

Best Regards

--------------------

TOPPING SERVICE
a-FjrSF2qTmqCHqCrbdSjZvWGM-e3ej-YRiujhcDalMJNgfYxRXArXVnnknZHzKuEP5isoCaUez-zkKPOw6Ucbtsgwvr9s7jXaUJ21ub892SIAR4lCFKj5EYpPrlNLPV=s0-d-e1-ft
The new firmware is now publicly available.

dartinbout

I just resolved an interesting problem. Earlier today, I could not get any dsf or dff files to play (neither 2 or larger native channel files). All I got was a harsh squall using JR or FB. I eventually had to remove the 530 version of the driver\reset the DM7, reinstall the driver and all worked as before. I had been running the firmware (1.7) for a few days prior. IDK what happened I'm back to rockin' out.

dartinbout

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The questions I have with this product is,

What codecs work with it, like dolby, dolby Atmos, etc

Then why have they not included a hdmi input?

How does it compair to a high end av receiver (trinnov)

I could eq on my pc and get better performance then 20k av receiver.

This is just a plain DAC — although with incredibly high SINAD performance out of any other 8ch DAC currently available. It really is not a dedicated DSP with decoders akin to an AVR. You need to couple the device with software to do the processing e.g. JRiver media center

da Choge

Forum Donor
Is this new Topping DM7 V1.17 software release a driver update or an actual firmware update? (looks like a firmware update to me). And, if it is a firmware update, will it enable the DM7 to have internal individual channel-based balance/volume controls outside a Windows PC/MAC environment-based system? -- like when used in a Linux-based Roon ROCK setup? I would think so; guess I'll find out soon enough for myself.

Last edited:

dartinbout

Is this new Topping DM7 V1.17 software release a driver update or an actual firmware update? (looks like a firmware update to me). And, if it is a firmware update, will it enable the DM7 to have internal individual channel-based balance/volume controls outside a Windows PC/MAC environment-based system? -- like when used in a Linux-based Roon ROCK setup? I would think so; guess I'll find out soon enough for myself.
Yes. All 8 channels can have their volume control natively from the front panel. There is a new manual specifically for the new firmware. I have played with the volume control and all 8 channels can be individually addressed (including DSD). The text and the manual explain it all. I choose to control channel volume from my Win 10 applications because I want separate profiles for different use iterations (video gets a center channel boost, an audio profile for 5.1 symphonies with rear channel gains, etc).

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't see that as practical even if it could. Level adjustments are trivial compared to filters/convolutions, especially in DSD.
All the dac's I have used in foobar override DSP when play native DSD,like the mathaudio which I use or even out of player rephase.
Everything I read says native DSD overrides everything,only special studio-grade equipment can handle and alter it.

I always make fool of my friends when I make them listen the same play to PCM and then DSD,they think it's the file or the format but it's the override of the DSP that makes the difference.
More reveling is measurement with REW that shows the above.
But again,not big deal,convert and forget.

dartinbout

I never question how people discipline their simians. Mine likes the way the strap sounds when it hits. My collection of ripped sacd brings me joy. Your converted collection no doubt brings you yours. I also leave my "acquired" music as I get it. Classical, multichannel DSD, is surely what music sounds on the right side of the pearly gates.

Someday, I'll have the bandwidth to acquire a calibrated mic, run rew, calibrate my room, speakers, amps, dacs, process 7TB of DSD into PCM, grow another 10" of arm length, pat myself on the back while I listen. Until then.......

Reactions: MWC

Sokel

Master Contributor
I never question how people discipline their simians. Mine likes the way the strap sounds when it hits. My collection of ripped sacd brings me joy. Your converted collection no doubt brings you yours. I also leave my "acquired" music as I get it. Classical, multichannel DSD, is surely what music sounds on the right side of the pearly gates.

Someday, I'll have the bandwidth to acquire a calibrated mic, run rew, calibrate my room, speakers, amps, dacs, process 7TB of DSD into PCM, grow another 10" of arm length, pat myself on the back while I listen. Until then.......
At the time been I convert nothing as I use an electronic analog crossover after a preamp.(PC>dac(some other sources too)>preamp>crossover>power amps)
All the VC is analog so no need for conversions yet,I play native DSD512 any time I want without altering anything,I even have a separate playlist will all the DSD stuff even If I know that playing it overides my room DSP corrections.It's fun!

All I'm searching is the possibilities and limitations as a digital crossover would give me more flexibility.
There's always compromises in any given choice.In my list first goes safety,easy operation (even if the set up is somehow complicated but you do that once),flexibility,etc.
That's why I bother people with questions that some times seems odd.

dartinbout

As it stands today, the Exasound is the only dac I know of that will do more then DSD128 multichannel. My Ebay "saved search" for any MC Exasound is on life support. The Okto was my 1st experience of what MC DSD would do. I knew nothing of anything greater then my ASUS\Auzentech C-Media sound card would into a 8 channel AVR. The Dac8 Pro was\is more capable of what I need (at present). The DM7 is my absolute sweet spot. The sound design of "Sandman" is fabulous as was 5.1 DSD64 461 Ocean Blvd. earlier.

Reactions: MWC

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
All the dac's I have used in foobar override DSP when play native DSD,like the mathaudio which I use or even out of player rephase.
Everything I read says native DSD overrides everything,only special studio-grade equipment can handle and alter it.
Certainly.
I always make fool of my friends when I make them listen the same play to PCM and then DSD,they think it's the file or the format but it's the override of the DSP that makes the difference.
I don't know what they say they preferred but, in my experience, the PCM will always sound better because of the DSP! :)

Top Bottom