• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 240 75.7%

• Total voters

LSB

Mine is due Wednesday.

Thanks for all your help with multichannel source options over the years. The Topping DM7 looks like it could be a nice option in the SNR vs availability vs affordability juggle.

May I ask if your DM7 has been sent to you from Topping? One handpicked as measuring the best for sending for review and measurements. Or did you anonymously buy one like we would from a reseller, that represents the standard build?

A barrier for many of us with the Topping is we dont have four stereo balanced input power amps. Do you have an unbalanced RCA input power amp? Could you please try RCA for us and listen for noise eg stop a track and turn volume right up? If you do can you ask JA if he will measure the floating unbalanced FFT please? @amirm seems a bit too busy .......

The cheapest conversion is leaving the negative balanced pin floating. This $5 adapter should do that:
s-l1600.jpg

Anyone using an adapter should test for open between the TRS male collars and then continuity from the TRS pins to the RCAs to confirm one RCA is positive polarity and one negative and then label them. Make sure you turn on and power off the system sequentially to save thumps.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cheapest conversion is leaving the negative balanced pin floating. This $5 adapter should do that:
s-l1600.jpg

Looks similar to the rigid DAP AUDIO Stereo XGA-18 adapter (Euro 4.75) I shared in my post #616...
Using that DAP XGA-18, we can get only the plus(+) signal of balanced line from white-RCA-L plug with minus(-) signal line floated (non-connected); I fully tested and confirmed it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
May I ask if your DM7 has been sent to you from Topping? One handpicked as measuring the best for sending for review and measurements. Or did you anonymously buy one like we would from a reseller, that represents the standard build?
I obtained the DM7 directly from Topping but (1) there was no promise of a review, (2) there is no Editorial approval for a review and (3) I am not personally committed to writing a review.
A barrier for many of us with the Topping is we dont have four stereo balanced input power amps. Do you have an unbalanced RCA input power amp? Could you please try RCA for us and listen for noise eg stop a track and turn volume right up?
I can do that and, if convenient, I will, although my cabling/adapter will be different.

meooms

I now have two Toppings. The DX7 Pro and now the DM7. In both cases, Windows 10 recognized them but limited their functionality without the provided Topping drivers. The DM7 would not function without the driver. This may be because I had the Topping driver installed for the DX7 Pro. I highly encourage the use of the Topping ASIO drivers to achieve the full functionality. Anything else and you are just trying to play Legos with 9v batteries. If you are trying to get this to work on a DEC, NeXT, Amiga or a PC Jr. I would re-think your life choices. Also, I would rule out amps without XLR connections. My powered RCA subwoofer is barking at me every time I power cycle the DM7. The other 7 channels are fine.
@dartinbout As you seem to have experience with it, can you answer a question I have? Do the Windows Topping drivers have an option to set the volume evel for each of the 8 channels separately? The Thysecon drivers do, but they are linked to specific UDB-VIDs of the DAC. Does the DAC have an option onboard to set the volumes? I would prefer to use the volume in the ES9038 chip, as this is mostly losless.

Krillin

I'm really curious how this performs with a RCA adapter. Not everyone has 8 balanced power amplifier channels.

For example I think with the "Topping D10 Balanced" users are specifically warned not to use an RCA adapter for the balanced signal. Is it the same situation for the Topping DM7?

dartinbout

@dartinbout As you seem to have experience with it, can you answer a question I have? Do the Windows Topping drivers have an option to set the volume evel for each of the 8 channels separately? The Thysecon drivers do, but they are linked to specific UDB-VIDs of the DAC. Does the DAC have an option onboard to set the volumes? I would prefer to use the volume in the ES9038 chip, as this is mostly losless.
The DM7drivers do not, in them selves, provide individual channel volume control. There is a room correction feature in windows sound UI, but I have never used it. I set channel volume, for music, in Jr. River of FB2X. For video, either J.River, VLC, MPC-BE or whatever else I find that allows such alteration.

The Okto DAC 8 Pro did allow for this (even using the remote!) but overall I am happier with the Topping.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DM7drivers do not, in them selves, provide individual channel volume control. There is a room correction feature in windows sound UI, but I have never used it. I set channel volume, for music, in Jr. River of FB2X. For video, either J.River, VLC, MPC-BE or whatever else I find that allows such alteration.

The Okto DAC 8 Pro did allow for this (even using the remote!) but overall I am happier with the Topping.

You can't control each output channel volume control?

dartinbout

I have one my sub woofer connected to an XLR to RCA adapter as that is the input for my beast Paradigm Servo-15 (78 lb.!). I used that connector for the Okto as well. I get no distortion using that connector but if I am planning turning off the DM7, I have to crawl behind him and tickle his little tail (power switch) or he barks at me :facepalm: . What 7 other channels would sound like I shudder to consider.

As luck would have it, I had a Marantz AVR die an ugly death 5 years ago. 3 channels just died with a strangled, guttural gasp. I decided that the way forward must involve separates. I started my search criteria with the idea the XLR's would be the default connector, as 8 channels of RCA cables were an "Octupuses" garden I didn't want to visit. HDMI multichannel was out of the question as there was no viable MC PC output at the time. Luckily, when I eventually heard it, I was shocked at how limited it was.

dartinbout

You can't control each output channel volume control?
Well, shut my donut loving mouth! Look what I found! This is from the volume tab in the driver interface.
1658787335648.png

I can't make the sliders work but this may be feature not enabled as yet pending an updated firmware. I'll write TPDZ support.

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not, IMO. Most player software can handle it.
Suppose it depends on what software one uses. As a Roon user, it's useless.

EDIT: In fact, if you can't cycle through each channel on the front panel it's a major flaw in the unit.

da Choge

Forum Donor
Look what I found! This is from the volume tab in the driver interface.
This is in the Topping Control Panel that's part of the Windows Driver package download? This is great and would make this a much more functional multichannel DAC. Topping definitely needs to update/enable their driver package to support this. I'm just wondering about us simple-minded folk who want to use this unit in conjunction with the Roon ROCK Linux operating system/endpoints (no Windows). Any ideas? -- guess we will have to use our Roon core DSP programming? Ugh!!!

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is in the Topping Control Panel that's part of the Windows Driver package download? This is great and would make this a much more functional multichannel DAC. Topping definitely needs to update/enable their driver package to support this. I'm just wondering about us simple-minded folk who want to use this unit in conjunction with the Roon ROCK Linux operating system/endpoints (no Windows). Any ideas?
And that's why I posted what I did above. Should be accessible to cycle through each channel and change each one. Once again, Topping didn't listen to the request thread or contact people that actually use an MCH dac. :facepalm:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
READ THE REVIEW.

dartinbout

Neither in the DM7 manual, nor the actual buried Topping menu (Power cycle AND hold on to the multifunction button at the same time!) is there any mention of individual channel menu selection. For such granular control you would either go Okto(pus, a rarely seen creature of the Marianas Trench), the Exasound on go pro. At $600, and delivered in a thrice, this is a grand slam.

I might say, as someone who has loved multichannel music since the 90's, this is a sweet summit. It's performance with both music and video is out-f__king standing!

da Choge

Forum Donor
READ THE REVIEW.
I think this was posted in response to Kal Rubinson's posts. If Kal already has a published review out, I'll eat my shorts, yours too! :oops:
:) (just joshin' -- I would never eat my shorts)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I think this was posted in response to Kal Rubinson's posts. If Kal already has a published review out, I'll eat my shorts, yours too! :oops:
Me, too. ;)

Top Bottom