• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 240 75.7%

• Total voters

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
An example would be providing a signal to the Linkwitz Lx mini DIY two way speakers combined with a pair of subs, which will require 6 separate channels.

I have been procrastinating for a long time to build these as a retirement project, and initially thought I would need to combine something like 3 pairs of Topping D50s DACs with 3 pairs of stereo amps.

However, the DM7 combined with a Buckeye 6 channel amp, with say 2 x Hypex 252 modules for the tweeters and 4 x Hypex 502 modules for the woofers, would provide a simple and elegant solution and eliminate a lot of clutter. I have no excuses now.

Thanks again Amir for introducing us to such a large range of cost effective high performance gear. This site is exactly what our hobby needs.
i dont think so. this would send a full range signal to the lxminis. it has no internal dsp for each channel

thin bLue

Reviewer
Another brilliant achievement!
Go Topping!
images.jpeg-717.jpg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a great alternative to the Octo DAC 8 Pro, provided you don't need the Octo's Aes/Ebu inputs. Of course that knocks out things like putting your TV's spdif output to the Octo. Price and form factor are definitely right, though I think I'll keep my Octo.

gvl

Major Contributor
The lack of SPDIF input makes it a half assed product. IMO the ability to take SPDIF in, send to PC for processing over USB, and back out to DAC via USB is a must have feature in such a device. Okto got it right.

tritopia

If only I2S was added, it would have been possible to greatly expand the utilization by connecting a general DDC.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For home studio, 2 pair of monitors, 1 pair for headphone, 1 spare. If it has a routing interface.
For home theater, you will probably want to add one or 2 subwoofers, and that takes up the "spare" pair of channels.

Thanks for the review @amirm . Just wished this could come with hdmi in (instead of usb) and out as most multichannel sources like bluray players will use hdmi. Then the output of the dac would also be a single hdmi instead of 8 TRS. I suppose on the naming DM7, D for DAC, M for Multichannel and 7 (0-7 channels?). Perhaps there will be a Topping AM7 coming up ?

So where does your single HDMi connect to ?
Also, as far as I'm aware, HDMI is not a 'free to use" protocol. Manufacturers need to pay a license for its use. So unless they produce products in the tens of thousands that use it (to amortise the license), its probably not economical to include the feature. Unless of course you as a consumer is willing to pay for it ?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the simplest case is for multichannel music or movie playback (if you can decode the latter prior to sending it the DAC). Another application is building multi-way active speakers. Then you need 2 or more channels for each speaker.

The problem there is it compels use of general purpose computer as source and crossover, rather than normal audio signal routing and processing hardware

This DAC looks like a neat idea but the I/O is fail. Keeping the same form factor, it needs something like a DB25 input that can take coax or AES to be really useful. Or it needs to be bigger and have normal digital audio inputs. Hopefully it's one in a line, and the others will address less esoteric applications.

raif71

Major Contributor
For home theater, you will probably want to add one or 2 subwoofers, and that takes up the "spare" pair of channels.

So where does your single HDMi connect to ?
Also, as far as I'm aware, HDMI is not a 'free to use" protocol. Manufacturers need to pay a license for its use. So unless they produce products in the tens of thousands that use it (to amortise the license), its probably not economical to include the feature. Unless of course you as a consumer is willing to pay for it ?
Noted on the hdmi licensing...Dang

Top Bottom