• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it is likely that the near future will be USB-C and Thunderbird. I have a BD drive with Thunderbird and I am contemplating getting the Thunderbolt card, too. It will support an external video card.
I think I am going to wait it out to see if they come out with different models of Thunderbolt PCIe cards. They must do that I think because of the amount of motherboards with Thunderbolt headers that will be needing cards should be huge if they finalllly make something of this alleged sooper connector. I wish they would just get it over with and make the connecter we all want and then implement it and stop this rubbish. On another side I imagine manufacturers like Topping et al are watching to see what is happening too. Keeping this thread somewhat on topic. :D
Compatibility:
Windows® 10 64-bit
ASUS Intel® 500 series and later models with 14-1 pin Thunderbolt™ header.

jan.didden

I came across this pic of a DM7 which appears to suggest that you can set the levels for each individual DAC output. Also someone at diyaudio mentioned it without details.
Does anyone know if it indeed is possible to set individual levels, and how would I do that??

Jan

Attachments

• DM7ind.PNG
    DM7ind.PNG
    757.1 KB · Views: 74

jan.didden

That description is not in my 'user guide', thanks.
It does work from the remote, which I guess is the only way?
But the settings are not carried over into the Windows utility, there all remain at 0dB and I can't change that, see attached.
Is that normal?

Jan

Attachments

• top.PNG
    top.PNG
    39.9 KB · Views: 72

Razorhelm

There is a new manual for the new firmware

I don't use it on a windows machine so afraid I can help with that side

jan.didden

Thanks! It looks to me that this is a later upgrade.
Probably next upgrade will allow the individual vol settings from the host user interface.
But I can live with it as I will set all channels to 0 dB and do all EQ and levels in JRiver.

Jan

montyliam

I’m looking to use this as part of a surround sound and stereo listening setup. I currently have 3 Genelec 8030cs for LCR, planning to buy 2 more for surround channels, and have a DIY active subwoofer.

I’m considering buying an AVR and using the preouts, but this seems more appropriate as I won’t be needing any extra amplification and this seems to perform miles above the DACs inside AVRs.

What software would I need to get this up and running properly. I have a USB blu ray player that I can use on my laptop.

I see JRiver mentioned here to use the blu ray player with.

What software would allow me to decode Dolby and Dts surround formats whilst also allowing proper configuration of channels and maybe DSP correction too?

mkt

I’m looking to use this as part of a surround sound and stereo listening setup. I currently have 3 Genelec 8030cs for LCR, planning to buy 2 more for surround channels, and have a DIY active subwoofer.

I’m considering buying an AVR and using the preouts, but this seems more appropriate as I won’t be needing any extra amplification and this seems to perform miles above the DACs inside AVRs.

What software would I need to get this up and running properly. I have a USB blu ray player that I can use on my laptop.

I see JRiver mentioned here to use the blu ray player with.

What software would allow me to decode Dolby and Dts surround formats whilst also allowing proper configuration of channels and maybe DSP correction too?
I use Roon and JRiver to play multichannel files and Apple Music (on a Mac) to stream atmos, all to a multichannel DAC -> active speakers. I don't know about the blu ray player support. (I use VLC for video files). Probably worth using a free trial to be sure what works and what you like.

PhT64

Hello everyone,
I am implementing an active crossover function using FIR filters in ROON to feed my 3 ways stereo system. I am using a powerfull NUC as ROON server which will be connected to Topping DM7 input through USB (I will probably use PCM 32 bits / 96 kHz or 192 kHz). I would like to know if there is a way to also install DIRAC live on the NUC to implement room correction in a simple maner on top of ROON. Anybody having experience on this and able to explain how this can be implemented ? Many thanks in advance !

D

Deleted member 4708

Hello everyone,
I am implementing an active crossover function using FIR filters in ROON to feed my 3 ways stereo system. I am using a powerfull NUC as ROON server which will be connected to Topping DM7 input through USB (I will probably use PCM 32 bits / 96 kHz or 192 kHz). I would like to know if there is a way to also install DIRAC live on the NUC to implement room correction in a simple maner on top of ROON. Anybody having experience on this and able to explain how this can be implemented ? Many thanks in advance !
Short answer: yes, it will work just fine.
I used https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LQZ76C1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details for a few weeks. It has a modest processor and Dirac worked flawlessly on it.
Dirac has a PC (NUC) version that uses very little computational power. In the above PC the CPU usage for Dirac was around 3%.
The PC version of Dirac presents itself as the default audio output and it is backed by a process running the filter. As usual you do the measurements and load the filter.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Jriver will do all that and, also, BDs if connect a BD driver directly.

PhT64

Thank you Boerd for your feedback.
As you mention in your message (I read also the same on other forums), the PC version of Dirac live presents itself as the default audio output of the NUC / PC. My understanding is that this is perfect for a stereo system without active filtering. But what will happen in my configuration ? ROON will split the stereo signal in 3 ways for each channel and then apply FIR filters to filter tweeter / mid range / woofer signals. The output will be 6 separate signals. How will this be treated by Dirac Live receiving this signal which is not standard stereo ?
Thanks again for your advice.

D

Deleted member 4708

As you mention in your message (I read also the same on other forums), the PC version of Dirac live presents itself as the default audio output of the NUC / PC. My understanding is that this is perfect for a stereo system without active filtering. But what will happen in my configuration ? ROON will split the stereo signal in 3 ways for each channel and then apply FIR filters to filter tweeter / mid range / woofer signals. The output will be 6 separate signals. How will this be treated by Dirac Live receiving this signal which is not standard stereo ?
I have no solution unfortunately. My setup is with a passive speaker - Perlisten S7T. BTW - Dirac can EQ multiple speakers on different frequencies (not sure if that helps).

Last edited by a moderator:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Not gonna work. DL needs to precede the splitting of the stereo into 3 bands/channels. That is not possible with Roon but it is with JRiver which can run DL as a VST plug-in as well as in the Standalone mode. Roon can only run it in the Standalone mode.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great! Please use your influence to get us a HDMI input version! :)
Please explain what scenario/set-up you would need HDMI input?

himey

That description is not in my 'user guide', thanks.
It does work from the remote, which I guess is the only way?
But the settings are not carried over into the Windows utility, there all remain at 0dB and I can't change that, see attached.
Is that normal?

Jan
The software looks exactly the same as the miniDSP UDAC8 that I am using ATM.

Top Bottom