• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 240 75.7%

• Total voters

dartinbout

Yes, I calculated with 8 channels.. 8x 5.6 Mbps is 5.6 MBps ;)
Forgive me for my ignorance but where exactly does the buffer reside? Ram, the pagefile, the appdata folder or some place else? If foobar is like other music apps, doesn't it read ahead (unless otherwise specified)? As I don't have this specific issue, what might be the delta that explains the issue? If it pukes, the puke must come from somewhere. Or is the issue something else entirely. As a retired geek, who has played with the DM7 since I got it on 7\18, I haven't experienced this exact issue. The more we play with this lovely bit of joy, the more we can help others who get it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgive me for my ignorance but where exactly does the buffer reside? Ram, the pagefile, the appdata folder or some place else?
Buffers reside in RAM and are absolutely everywhere. Something like 1/4 to 1/2 of your RAM is probably cache of some sort. Used for all kinds of things.
If foobar is like other music apps, doesn't it read ahead (unless otherwise specified)? As I don't have this specific issue, what might be the delta that explains the issue? If it pukes, the puke must come from somewhere. Or is the issue something else entirely.
Your OS will read ahead for you generally, so any app gets that for free. The issue arises between the audio device requesting the data. With many channels and high bitrate, the request frequency will be high and time constraints are strict. That also means that it’s easier to interrupt this process. Having a dedicated buffer for this process may alleviate possible issues. Then the ASIO driver has another buffer for similar reasons.

dartinbout

I know J.River much better then FB2k. I can get stereo DSD512 to run smoothly from my DX7 Pro (I don't have the new plus). I've played with the app and the ASIO buffers. I actually get the best with maxing them out, setting the bitstreaming to DSD and to read the entire file into memory. Stereo DSD1024 files will only play in HQPlayer and then choppy. Prior to I upgrading to 32Gb of ram this was to not possible (for my setup). The OKTO D8Pro (since sold) was the 1st to play DSD128 8 channel until the DM7. I contend that this is the best way to emulate live symphonic performances, in a home setting. We truly live in a glorious time.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I know J.River much better then FB2k. I can get stereo DSD512 to run smoothly from my DX7 Pro (I don't have the new plus). I've played with the app and the ASIO buffers. I actually get the best with maxing them out, setting the bitstreaming to DSD and to read the entire file into memory.
I, too, use Jriver and have not found any need to read the entire file into memory for any file format up to 6 channel DSD256 or PCM 32/352.8. I simply leave it at "no memory playback." That includes direct playback or with conversion to 24/192 with DiracLive processing. It all just just plays.

dartinbout

With all due respect Kai, you can play 6 channel DSD256 directly through the DM7? That sounds like your Exasound. The OP was having a problem with his DM7, while dormant, randomly farting after playing a MC DSD file. We were discussing whether there was a buffer issue, somewhere in the driver\application chain causing this (I've never experienced in my DM7 chain). I'm guessing your $5k Exasound doesn't fart:eek:

Last edited:

mgbpuff

My problem is my computer which is not dedicated to music playing alone and apparently is taxed in performing its job. I had a Foobar learning period to go through and that diverted attention away from the thread, which is about the DM7. Although I thank all those who have helped, I apologize to those who have been micro aggressed in the effort. The DM7 itself has been faultless and sounds glorious.

dartinbout

Happy to hear. (pun intended) This device is wonderful. Any help I can offer, to those that make this leap is a pleasure. I am big fanboy of surround and the art form needs affordable, available devices such as the DM7 to further it's reach. Play it LOUD!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
With all due respect Kai, you can play 6 channel DSD256 directly through the DM7? That sounds like your Exasound.
Of course but, if we are talking about the buffering in Jriver making a difference in whether the DAC farts, it should not matter what DAC it is.
The OP was having a problem with his DM7, while dormant, randomly farting after playing a MC DSD file. We were discussing whether there was a buffer issue, somewhere in the driver\application chain causing this (I've never experienced in my DM7 chain). I'm guessing your $5k Exasound doesn't fart:eek:
Right but neither does the DM7, in my experience.

dartinbout

Of course but, if we are talking about the buffering in Jriver making a difference in whether the DAC farts, it should not matter what DAC it is.

Right but neither does the DM7, in my experience.
Ok, if we rule out the application layer, the driver, the hardware, what differences remain? He already had problems with his USB cable. Could it be his actual USB port itself and it's power mgmt? In my audio\htpc web travels, somebody recommended a very cheap PCI-E USB card that wasn't powered through the MB but directly from the power supply. It may be made of the "excretions of viper" but it was so cheap and such a persuasive bit of voodoo I had to try it. I can't say it will fix the farting but at $16, it's a pretty good way to isolate any USB power issues.

mgbpuff

My pc is a small desk size and does not have card bus structure, so that is out for me. I have now changed the USB cable three times with no improvements. I think the first cable change that seemed to work was more due to unplugging and replugging the cable back in than the cable itself. I think I need a better pc, but I can't afford that at the moment. Later, perhaps! Thanks!

sskevinm

Hello, I am new to the forum and new owner of a DM7. I was just wondering if anyone knows what op-amps were selected for this model and if they can be changed out (or rolled). I am not sure if anyone has attempted to take apart their DM7. Thanks.

Last edited:

dartinbout

As an op-amp fetishist (since reformed), there are no op-amps on the board. It's circuit is different. I'm sure an EE here will explain it better then I, but the last Topping with swappable op-amps was the DX7 Pro. It had slots for duals in the headphone and the pre-pro stages. Getting 2 Burson V6 Vivids required a messed up bit of legerdemain, I'd rather not do again. Getting 8 or even 16 into the DM7 case would be grounds for a long stay in rehab. If you spend anytime in ASR, opamps are universally discounted as adding anything to the sound chain other a certain smugness to your listening pleasure (I count myself as a graduate of that school of sin). Enjoy the DM7 for what it is, a piece of tech from 20 years in the future somehow bestowed on the present. Hook up 8 XLR's, play surround music, LOUD and enjoy the ride.

sskevinm

Thanks for the reply. My last audio card was a EVGA NU Audio Pro (which has a AKM DAC) that has the option to swap op-amps. I had installed the Burson V5i op-amps which I absolutley enjoyed the effects over the stock op-amps. I am an EE and still do not understand the "magic" manuplation that Burson is doing. No matter, I am quite enjoying the VM7. The balanced outputs seem to offer a cleaner(less noise) signal and the DAC produces a very nice natural sound over my electrostatic speakers. I will say I do not hear a significant difference with DM7 vs my EVGA sound card but overall I am pleased with it. Playing it LOUD is what I do but sadly the wife controls the remote!

Last edited:

dartinbout

I have had an Auzentech Meridian since the early 2000's and loved swapping the 8 channel of opamp around. It seemed like an easy\cheap way to play with sound. As a surround nut from the 90's, the DM7 is just a continuation of this passion. I collected a huge amount of multichannel DSD albums that the neither the Auzentech not my ASUS Essence Strix II ever played natively until this piece of alien tech from Topping arrived. I like to picture a lab filled with little grey men with huge heads\eyes designing this stuff. If they are watching this thread, I just want to say, "I WELCOME OUR NEW ALIEN OVERLORDS AND I'M GRATEFUL FOR THESE GIFTS FROM OUTER SPACE)!

Sokel

Master Contributor
To whom it may concern and uses Foobar 2.x ,SACD component has updated with fixed channel mappings,you may want to try it.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yep. Tried it. Mappings seems to work on PCM. Don't know about pure DSD because all I can get is noise.
I'm going to ask again:
Are you sure that every digital volume control is at 100%? (forget it if is your only volume controls,obviously).
And another:|
Keep the decoders you use more (flac,SACD,MPEG,etc) at the top of the list of the decoders (drug them up) in their preferences page.

dartinbout

Please read through the thread as this has been resolved. Use the newest FB2k 64 bit beta and https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_out_asio+dsd/
there are explicit instructions (with stick figures, cave drawings, an episode of the Office and a hanky back there). I might also suggest that if the software exceeds your capacity manage it, you might consider migrating to one you can.

w1000i

Forum Donor
What the world needs is a Raspberry Pi running an opensource software that supports all codecs, receiving HDMI eARC input and sending multichannel audio in its USB output, with a web interface to set up channel levels, high/low pass filters and even some PEQ or room correction.

Then we would have a great solution for TV => Raspberry Pi decoding => multichannel DAC => multichannel amp for our home theaters.
This will KILL the AV business :p

Hellion666

Works fine on a windows computer, on mpc-hc or Kodi. Kodi décodés dolby atmos, for exemple (7.1) to eight pcm stream, and with 8 hypex nc400 amp, with sôme JBL speaker : atmos expérience ! No need of any blu-ray player or whatever. Output is on wasapi. On a Intel nuc, inget sôme noise on thé speakers. On a laptop, no noise.

Reactions: LSB
Top Bottom