• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

windfr

I don't know if this can help, but I can explain in detail what I should do if i have to do it :

in Tools ..... SACD ..... output device : type "DSD"

in output : ASIO + DSD create a DSD transcoder
trans.jpg
with the Asio of the DM7 instead of " USB DAC ASIO "

In Output choose " ASIO+DSD : DSD Transcoder ( Dop/Native)"

dartinbout

I don't use a transcoder and get direct playback with out it. Windfr, do you have a DM7?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't know if this can help, but I can explain in detail what I should do if i have to do it :

in Tools ..... SACD ..... output device : type "DSD"

in output : ASIO + DSD create a DSD transcoder
View attachment 229167 with the Asio of the DM7 instead of " USB DAC ASIO "

In Output choose " ASIO+DSD : DSD Transcoder ( Dop/Native)"
Yep.as the guy above says you don't need the transcoder,is a component useful in it's day but not anymore.

mgbpuff

Per Sokel's suggestion I got behind the rack and replaced the USB cable. SUCCESS! Playing DSD128 5ch. now. Thanks all!

windfr

I don't use a transcoder and get direct playback with out it. Windfr, do you have a DM7?
No, not yet. I use a SMSL M500Mkii for stereo up to DSD512 / PCM 768 and the audio interface Presonus STUDIO 192 for 5.1 ( PCM 192 )

Sokel

Master Contributor
Per Sokel's suggestion I got behind the rack and replaced the USB cable. SUCCESS! Playing DSD128 5ch. now. Thanks all!
Bad and specially bad and LONG USB cables are a recipe for a lot of hustle sometimes.
Enjoy you music!

dartinbout

Checking OSI Layer 1 wins again!

dartinbout

No, not yet. I use a SMSL M500Mkii for stereo up to DSD512 / PCM 768 and the audio interface Presonus STUDIO 192 for 5.1 ( PCM 192 )
Dey are berry different animals.

dartinbout

Play the "2016 L'Arte del Violino (Locatelli Violin Concertos) - Lisa Jacobs, The String Soloists (5.0)" LOUD and heal whatever ails your soul for the duration.

mgbpuff

O.K. my foobar / DM7 setup seems to be functioning well except there is a random blurp that comes through when playing DSD or when setting idle with the DSD mode still in force. This does not happen when the DM7 is in PCM mode, playing or idle. It's as if some random noise is building up in a buffer until it fires off. Anyone else experience this?

dartinbout

O.K. my foobar / DM7 setup seems to be functioning well except there is a random blurp that comes through when playing DSD or when setting idle with the DSD mode still in force. This does not happen when the DM7 is in PCM mode, playing or idle. It's as if some random noise is building up in a buffer until it fires off. Anyone else experience this?
Are you connected via all XLR?

dartinbout

dartinbout

DSD files are HUUUUGGGGEEEE! I think, sir, that the tires on your tricycle are a little flat and you are riding on the rims. Metaphors aside, I have 32GB and a dedicated SSD, just for a page file. I'm not saying that this is 100% the cause of the DM7 belching but upping this wouldn't hurt.

Sokel

Master Contributor
DSD files are HUUUUGGGGEEEE! I think, sir, that the tires on your tricycle are a little flat and you are riding on the rims. Metaphors aside, I have 32GB and a dedicated SSD, just for a page file. I'm not saying that this is 100% the cause of the DM7 belching but upping this wouldn't hurt.
That's not entirely correct even if you use full file buffering (in the advanced settings) up to 2GB with 8GB memory (you can use even 10 with 32GB you have)
I have even use it to a PC with 4GB witch I did downmix and resampling of MC 5GB DSD files for test (try that on Jriver and look at your CPU and memory usage of the system)
What matters is the buffer size of foobar (the one in the pic you posted) and the dac's buffer which must be tested regardless what MP you use.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
8xDSD128 is a meager 5.6 MBps. That is laughable for just about any device to handle, and also no issue for an USB 2.0 device either (which can do 60 MBps at best). There is no need to load any of this in RAM in significant amounts. We have SSD’s that can pull multi GBps nowadays after all and have had disks to handle these speed with ease for decades now.
What matters is the buffer size of foobar (the one in the pic you posted) and the dac's buffer which must be tested regardless what MP you use.
That is in most cases the trick. At play here are the efficiency of the device driver of the audio interface and USB driver and hardware and how the CPU scheduler prioritizes certain tasks. Since UA2 is quite timing delicate still, interruptions that are too long an cause buffer under-runs. Especially noticeable at higher data rates because the transfer speed is higher, while the latency is kept the same. In some cases, things like BIOS settings regarding the USB hardware may also help (if available), but that is more of an exception.

Last edited:

dartinbout

8xDSD128 is a meager 5.6 MBps. That is laughable for just about any device to handle, and also no issue for an USB 2.0 device either (which can do 60 MBps at best). There is no need to load any of this in RAM in significant amounts. We have SSD’s that can pull multi GBps nowadays after all and have had disks to handle these speed with ease for decades now.

That is in most cases the trick. At play here are the efficiency of the device driver of the audio interface and USB driver and hardware and how the CPU scheduler prioritizes certain tasks. Since UA2 is quite timing delicate still, interruptions that are too long an cause buffer under-runs. Especially noticeable at higher data rates because the transfer speed is higher, while the latency is kept the same. In some cases, things like BIOS settings regarding the USB hardware may also help (if available), but that is more of an exception.
All this may be fine but we are talking about an 8 channel device DSD128 device. I use extensively for MC, I find to avoid buffering, I prioritize the USB bus .

You might check these as well.
1662561652429.png
1662561753131.png

Top Bottom