• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'm just wondering about us simple-minded folk who want to use this unit in conjunction with the Roon ROCK Linux operating system/endpoints (no Windows). Any ideas? -- guess we will have to use our Roon core DSP programming? Ugh!!!
Sure. But you only have to do it once.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't control each output channel volume control?
If that's not active yet, the dac is about useless IMO

Sorry, but I do not fully understand your point.

Even though I use OKTO DAC8PRO, I always keep the individual channel volume (and the total volume) in DAC8PRO at -4 dB for many reasons including safety concerns. If you use independent system-wide DSP (XO/EQ) software like EKIO receiving all the audio signals from Roon, JRiver, browsers, Adobe Audition, AudaCity, etc., you can use that system-wide DSP (XO/EQ) software center's individual channel volume (gain) even on-the-fly and you can save/reload your settings.

Furthermore, if you would use preamplifiers or integrated amplifiers receiving DAC-ed analog signals, you may use such individual amplifier's volume controller for flexible relative volume/gain control in your active multichannel system, I believe.

I use HiFi "integrated amplifiers" and active L&R sub-woofers each of them has IR remote controller for safe and flexible on-the-fly gain (volume) controller, and also it allows safe flexible on-the-fly relative gain controls depending on the "hearing tastes" and/or "hearing abilities (especially in high Fq)" of the listeners/audiences, as I shared here in my project thread and here on the remote thread.

( I always have protective capacitors in the SP high level signals going into my treasure Be-SQ, Be-TW and metal-horn-ST.)

Just for your reference, the following posts on my project thread would be of your interest.
- Where to control master volume and relative gains? #058, #060, #062, #191-#221
- A serious jazz fanatic friend came to my home for audio sessions using my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo system: #438

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, but I do not fully understand your point.

Even though I use OKTO DAC8PRO, I always keep the individual channel volume (and the total volume) in DAC8PRO at -4 dB for many reasons including safety concerns. If you use independent system-wide DSP (XO/EQ) software like EKIO receiving all the audio signals from Roon, JRiver, browsers, Adobe Audition, AudaCity, etc., you can use that system-wide DSP (XO/EQ) software center's individual channel volume (gain) even on-the-fly and you can save/reload your settings.

Furthermore, if you would use preamplifiers or integrated amplifiers receiving DAC-ed analog signals, you may use such individual amplifier's volume controller for flexible relative volume/gain control in your active multichannel system, I believe.

I use HiFi "integrated amplifiers" and active L&R sub-woofers each of them has IR remote controller for safe and flexible on-the-fly gain (volume) controller, and also it allows safe flexible on-the-fly relative gain controls depending on the "hearing tastes" and/or "hearing abilities (especially in high Fq)" of the listeners/audiences, as I shared here in my project thread and here on the remote thread.

( I always have protective capacitors in the SP high level signals going into my treasure Be-SQ, Be-TW and metal-horn-ST.)

Just for your reference, the following posts on my project thread would be of your interest.
- Where to control master volume and relative gains? #058, #060, #062, #191-#221
- A serious jazz fanatic friend came to my home for audio sessions using my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo system: #438
I use a dac straight to amps. Adjust gain for each subwoofer within the Motu. FIR filter to Roon. Simple.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a dac straight to amps. Adjust gain for each subwoofer within the Motu. FIR filter to Roon.

So, you can use Roon and/or Motu for master volume controller as well as relative gain controller, right?
Why do you need/request "relative gain control feature" between the channels in DM7??

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, you can use Roon and/or Motu for master volume controller as well as relative gain controller, right?
Why do you need/request "relative gain control feature" between the channels in DM7??
Roon is used as the master volume (global). You need to adjust each channel to volume match each of the 4 subs to speaker.

JulioCat

Suppose it depends on what software one uses. As a Roon user, it's useless.

EDIT: In fact, if you can't cycle through each channel on the front panel it's a major flaw in the unit.
I just configure mine in an Active 3 way system, and i can control each channel volumen, Eq etc
Captura de Pantalla 2022-07-25 a la(s) 19.36.13.png

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just configure mine in an Active 3 way system, and i can control each channel volumen, Eq etc
You can change each channel output manually with the DM7?

dartinbout

No but I did "net" an Okto Dac 8 Pro (which I am now trying to sell one off to a fellow "Cephalophilians" here looking for granular control over each of it's "arms").

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have to insert a Procedural EQ in DSP, and add a Mix Filter
Nope, not in my setup! Flawed product if you can't change gain within the DM7 manually and via its own software.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for you
No need to be...the Motu Mk5 is a stellar unit that does it. I was hoping that someone would actually do it right so it could be used with Roon Rock, RPi4 running RoPieee but Topping missed the boat on this unless they can do firmware updates to enable this.

JulioCat

I'm doing exactly w
No need to be...the Motu Mk5 is a stellar unit that does it. I was hoping that someone would actually do it right so it could be used with Roon Rock, RPi4 running RoPieee but Topping missed the boat on this unless they can do firmware updates to enable this.
I'm doing exactly what you describe, if you cannot do it is your fault not Topping

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okto(pus, a rarely seen creature of the Marianas Trench)

this is just an interlude of the thread...

We, including myself, often mixed-up "Octo(-pus)" and "Okto(-pus)" !

The marine creature with 8 legs is "octopus", right?
WS003951.JPG

Yes, we have no Marianas Trench octopus in this picture;)

I often misspell by writing "OCTO Research" for "OKTO Research".:facepalm:

As a reminder for myself and all of us, DAC8PRO is the product of "Okto Research".:)

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm doing exactly w

I'm doing exactly what you describe, if you cannot do it is your fault not Topping
Sure doesn't sound like you are. I heard no mention of Roon, FIR filter loaded into the Convolution.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure doesn't sound like you are. I heard no mention of Roon, FIR filter loaded into the Convolution.

He showed a screenshot from Roon showing that each channel has a gain adjustment. You can obviously use gain adjustment in addition to convolution. The manual describes the capability well -> https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/dsp-engine-speaker-setup

I can’t imagine anyone running a multichannel computer DSP setup where they won’t have the ability to adjust individual channel gains outside of the DAC.

Michael

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom