• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DAC`s

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Id say a majority of people with powered speakers will get ground loop with unbalanced connections
Indeed :) And that 'majority of people with powered speakers' probably represents a 'minority of all people with speakers'. :p

But sure, powered speakers are a particular case (which I'm not sure is on topic anymore). I'm thinking of buying a pair of D&D 8C myself (going there for a demo in June). But thankfully they have their own internal DAC (they're digitally driven via AES/EBU), so I won't have to think about ground loops! ;)

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I only got a D30 Pro because it matches my A30 Pro, otherwise its not a very compelling value.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Id say a majority of people with powered speakers will get ground loop with unbalanced connections

I only got a ground loop when I switched to monitors with a safety ground connection. My unbalanced DAC (Topping D50s) was fine with my old monitors with a 2 pin power connection (Tannoy Reveal 402). It would be interesting know what proportion of powered monitors are grounded.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I only got a ground loop when I switched to monitors with a safety ground connection. My unbalanced DAC (Topping D50s) was fine with my old monitors with a 2 pin power connection (Tannoy Reveal 402). It would be interesting know what proportion of powered monitors are grounded.
Yes - I should have said grounded powered monitors. Ungrounded ones won't cause problems. My sub is grounded.

deprogrammed

I'd say you have no idea. Majority? Proof?

OP
R

rickyhgarcia

My intention is to use "a" DAC to feed a vintage Audio Research SP-12 preamp (RCA) music from a streamer (PC or RPi) and/or my CD collection. So I guess anything with a SINAD of 115db or better, with RCA outputs would work. Volume control is not required.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My intention is to use "a" DAC to feed a vintage Audio Research SP-12 preamp (RCA) music from a streamer (PC or RPi) and/or my CD collection. So I guess anything with a SINAD of 115db or better, with RCA outputs would work. Volume control is not required.
If you're already using RPI why not just add a DAC HAT?

OP
R

rickyhgarcia

If you're already using RPI why not just add a DAC HAT?
That is my next inquiry....PC USB outputs, or RPi with DigiOne hat? Everywhere, I read that the PC`s USB outputs are noisy, while the DigiOne coax is very clean. Testing by Amirn concluded the DigiOne output is as good as his testing equipment. Does this conclusion translates in better sound quality? There are a DAC, a preamp, and an amp before reaching the speakers.....

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is my next inquiry....PC USB outputs, or RPi with DigiOne hat? Everywhere, I read that the PC`s USB outputs are noisy, while the DigiOne coax is very clean. Testing by Amirn concluded the DigiOne output is as good as his testing equipment. Does this conclusion translates in better sound quality? There are a DAC, a preamp, and an amp before reaching the speakers.....
I use the Digi2 Pro,RPI4 with 2 GB for streaming and to connect to my NAS. It works perfectly I also use Diet PI instead of Moode or Volumio to keep it really simple. https://dietpi.com/dietpi-software.html just pick what you need.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can also add a DAC to the streamer via and Hat and keep it really simple. Allo also has a nice solution https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss2-player.html

Jose Hidalgo

• E50 = 123 dB SINAD / $269, plus it's also balanced (which you don't need)
  • DX3Pro+ : 116 dB SINAD / $199, plus for the same price you also get a headphone amp, bluetooth, and volume. Best price/performance ratio.
  • E30 = 114.6 dB SINAD / $187
  • D10S = 114.3 dB SINAD / $109
Sources : https://www.tpdz.net/dac (SINAD data from Topping) and https://www.amazon.com (prices)
  • Audio-wise, a D10S would be more than enough (you won't be able to hear the slightest difference between any of these four). Unless 114.3 dB SINAD aren't enough for your superhuman ears. ;)
  • Aesthetics-wise, I prefer how the E30/E50 look, but that may not be reason enough to spend more money.
  • Feature-wise, the DX3Pro+ beats them all. That could be my choice today.

OP
R

rickyhgarcia

• E50 = 123 dB SINAD / $269, plus it's also balanced (which you don't need)
  • DX3Pro+ : 116 dB SINAD / $199, plus for the same price you also get a headphone amp, bluetooth, and volume. Best price/performance ratio.
  • E30 = 114.6 dB SINAD / $187
  • D10S = 114.3 dB SINAD / $109
Sources : https://www.tpdz.net/dac (SINAD data from Topping) and https://www.amazon.com (prices)
  • Audio-wise, a D10S would be more than enough (you won't be able to hear the slightest difference between any of these four). Unless 114.3 dB SINAD aren't enough for your superhuman ears. ;)
  • Aesthetics-wise, I prefer how the E30/E50 look, but that may not be reason enough to spend more money.
  • Feature-wise, the DX3Pro+ beats them all. That could be my choice today.
Seems like the DX3Pro+ is indeed the best choice. It even has two COAX inputs, which right now seems just what I want. The Allo DigiOne Signature board is COAX output, and the CD Transport I am considering is also COAX output. Would not consider to use the Optical output of the transport.

Cadguy

Does the Topping DX3 Pro have the same issues when fed coax signals from older CD players as the E30?

Top Bottom