• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE to Focal 948

JustinL

Hi all, first time posting. I just put together my first system:
Topping D90SE —> SCHITT EQ —> Marchaudio P422 (Purifi) —> Focal Aria 948

Any idea how far I can push the D90 without damaging the speakers? Any comments on my setup or anything I might be missing or unaware of?

Thanks in advance!

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep it in 4V mode.
Stop when it's too loud.
Or when it starts distorting (if you're insensitive to SPL)
Just be careful not to push too much gain in EQ. Rather cut, if possible.

I guess you're using balanced connections and the gain is 20.5dB ?
I suppose you'll never go above -10dBFS.

OP
J

JustinL

Yeah, that’s the problem: I’m not sure when it’s too loud and I don’t hear it distorting. I’m using balanced and I’m at 4V anyway since the EQ doesn’t want 5V. I’m unsure what the gain is and I’ve been to -7.0 on the Topping and it still sounds good to me. I’m used to hearing loud things (running QSC 3-ways and subs in my band) so maybe I need to recalibrate my ears here! I’m curious if I can get to 80-85 dB safely with this system. Thanks!

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m curious if I can get to 80-85 dB safely with this system
80-85dB ?
That's supposed to be what you get at 3m with 1 box at 1W with those.
Or at 10m with 10W.
Or at 20m with 45W (which should be the power you get for a sine wave at -7dBFS under 8 ohm)

Last edited:
OP
J

JustinL

That's strange.
Which EQ do you have ?
Schitt specs for balanced EQ is up to 20V output.
Lokius, from the manual p 3:
Note: If you are using sources with more than 2V or 4V RMS output direct into Lokius before your preamp, you may experience distortion with Lokius controls turned up to maximum. Lokius is designed for standard 2V/4V RMS single-ended/balanced line levels (or lower).

(I definitely don't have the EQ turned anywhere near maximum. I set my D90 to 4V after reading this though...)

OP
J

JustinL

80-85dB ?
That's supposed to be what you get at 3m with 1 box at 1W with those.
Or at 10m with 10W.
Or at 20m with 45W (which should be the power you get for a sine wave at -7dBFS under 8 ohm)
I'm just using an iPhone dB meter app but I feel like it's close to accurate. With or without the EQ in the path, if the D90 is set to -15.0 output, I’m getting about 80dB 3m away. At D90 -10.0, 85dB. Can I push it more than this? Should I?

Side note, I’ve read that people have blown their speakers bc the DAC was unknowingly at 0.0 when they turned their amp on. Can’t this be easily avoided by checking the DAC output before hitting play on your streamer? Am I missing something else here?

Thanks!

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds great. You started to measure :)

Suggestion: given you've spent quite a few bucks for your setup, why not to add an inexpensive miniDSP UMIK1 USB measurement microphone ?
It's SPL and Frequency response calibrated and will allow you to do some interesting measurements on your system.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Side note, I’ve read that people have blown their speakers bc the DAC was unknowingly at 0.0 when they turned their amp on. Can’t this be easily avoided by checking the DAC output before hitting play on your streamer? Am I missing something else here?
Yes, and you don't miss anything.

OP
J

JustinL

Sounds great. You started to measure :)

Suggestion: given you've spent quite a few bucks for your setup, why not to add an inexpensive miniDSP UMIK1 USB measurement microphone ?
It's SPL and Frequency response calibrated and will allow you to do some interesting measurements on your system.
Ok—just got one! What’s next?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Install REW and measure your speakers.

Top Bottom