• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

rlwings

Mode 7 on the D90SE. H-FAST is the equivalent on the Gustard X16.
Ok, so I guess I will use mode 7 on the D90SE from now on to calibrate using Dirac in order to get the least per-ringing as this is the more likely perceivable component over frequency accuracy. Thanks! - I did a hearing test last night and apparently I can't hear anything past 12,000khz!

Eddy H.

I tried filter 5 for a few days and I don't like it. Going to try out 7 and see if it any better. It takes a couple days to really hear any difference.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tried filter 5 for a few days and I don't like it. Going to try out 7 and see if it any better. It takes a couple days to really hear any difference.
I like the way you audition…I find the same to be true. My ears are not reliable for quick A/B tests (unless there are gross differences), but give me a week or so, and I can form a reliable impression. :)

eyecent

@JohnYang1997

I just bought a new D90se. The RCA is connected to the headphone amp and the XLR is connected to the integrated amp. Unlike the previous D70, D90 MQA, noise occurs at the RCA output when the power to the device connected to the XLR is turned off.
I can use the remote control to change the status only with the RCA output, but I want to use it as it is with the simultaneous output like the old devices, and I want to know the solution.

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

@JohnYang1997

I just bought a new D90se. The RCA is connected to the headphone amp and the XLR is connected to the integrated amp. Unlike the previous D70, D90 MQA, noise occurs at the RCA output when the power to the device connected to the XLR is turned off.
I can use the remote control to change the status only with the RCA output, but I want to use it as it is with the simultaneous output like the old devices, and I want to know the solution.
That usually indicates a grounding problem somewhere. Try reversing the popularity of the power plug for your headphone amp if possible. Good luck!

Eddy H.

@JohnYang1997

What amps are you using? What do you mean by change the status with the RCA? I'm not understanding that.

eyecent

That usually indicates a grounding problem somewhere. Try reversing the popularity of the power plug for your headphone amp if possible. Good luck!
Thx you.
There are no problems with my other integrated amps.

I was disappinted. Because the first amp is my favorite amp.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been getting tons of dropouts between my Amazon Echo Link and my DAC. I tried switching the digital source to a Parks Puffin phono pre via coax, and problem is solved.

I am still not sure if the problem is the Toslink cable, the optical input, or the Echo Link, but I have mostly eliminated the DAC from the equation.

Eddy H.

After alot of long listening sessions I keep coming back to filter 3 like John recommended. It seems like the best one to me.

Rover

It would be great if the Topping engineers in the new D90SE firmware included the setting of the DPLL jitter band in their DACs, similar to what other Chinese and not only ESS-based DAC manufacturers have done SMSL, Gustard,Audiolab, Arcam, Cambridge Audio and JDS Labs.....Representatives of Topping read and answer?:)

dsnyder0cnn

It would be great if the Topping engineers in the new D90SE firmware included the setting of the DPLL jitter band in their DACs, similar to what other Chinese and not only ESS-based DAC manufacturers have done SMSL, Gustard,Audiolab, Arcam, Cambridge Audio and JDS Labs.....Representatives of Topping read and answer?:)
Just curious…what problem does this solve?

Rover

Just curious…what problem does this solve?
As an example.I use Audiolab 6000a on es9018 with LG TV optics.There are sometimes rare sound drops!!!I go to the menu and set the DPLL as "wide" and the dropouts instantly stopped! This is a very useful feature and it's bad that the Topping engineers DID NOT INCLUDE it in the new firmware.Moreover, some D90SE users have such a problem just with the LG TV and P4 raspberry in this forum if you read there are complaints!On another read there is a problem with the output of Xingcore AF200 by IIS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom