• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

David_M

Hey @JohnYang1997 ... first of all, congratulations on this awesome product you've designed. It is an excellent piece of audio design.

Would you mind telling us what the Altera CPLD does? Is it essentially a SPDIF decoder or digital audio receiver(like the AK4118) that produces cleaner output clocks and data? If so, why not use the internal SPDIF decoder of the ESS9038 instead that eliminates all jitter from its inputs?

Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
Johnyang is from Topping? He is very good technical detail. Thank you.
Yes. Used to be an active member here. I think he started for Topping creating the L30 amplifier. After that, A30 Pro, D90SE, probably some others..

Marc v E

Major Contributor
No, I mean has anyone with the d90se tried the 4v, 5v modes and preferred one or the other and found a preference or not.
As we are talking about a transparent dac here, the difference can probably only be heard when used as a preamp with a suitable amp. An amp that can take that voltage and one that is transparent enough. I think it's also mentioned in the review. My amps can, but I wouldn't be worried if they didn't. It's measured already better than I can hear, so I would be surprised if nobody can hear the difference. (Would still like to know though)

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As we are talking about a transparent dac here, the difference can probably only be heard when used as a preamp with a suitable amp.

What are you talking about? Higher voltage at DAC XLR ouput should increase SNR, for higher dynamic range over cablings and via the amp, if the last one and the cables support it.

David_M

Hi @JohnYang1997 ... I see that the IMD vs level graph shows no ESS hump. Was this due to a chip fix or a new design recommendation from ESS or just a careful design on your part?

gags11

Forum Donor
Not sure if this has been discussed. My D90SE is getting really hot. Is this normal? I’m using it in 5v DAC mode between miniDSP SHD studio and amplifier.

None of the DACs I have owned have gotten this hot.

raif71

Major Contributor
Yes. Used to be an active member here. I think he started for Topping creating the L30 amplifier. After that, A30 Pro, D90SE, probably some others..
You got me there with "Used to be an active member here" ? :)

PASOKO

This is my first post. Thanks everyone for all the valuable information.
This time I want to know about the coil whine of the D90SE. I have a D90, and the D90SE arrived today, but the D90SE is the only one that clearly has coil whine.I think it's probably the DCDC converter inside. What about everyone's D90SE? Is mine defective?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is my first post. Thanks everyone for all the valuable information.
This time I want to know about the coil whine of the D90SE. I have a D90, and the D90SE arrived today, but the D90SE is the only one that clearly has coil whine.I think it's probably the DCDC converter inside. What about everyone's D90SE? Is mine defective?
I'm very sensitive to coil whine. I didnt notice the d90se have any but when i put my ear up to it, there is very very faint noise. It's probably a unit by unit variance.

PASOKO

Thanks for the very quick answer. I'm relieved.
My D90Se is a little worse and I can hear it very well from 50cm away, so I'll get it replaced.

bboris77

I do understand that switching power supplies are susceptible to coil whine noise as I have experienced this phenomenon in my PS4 Pro and my PS5. I even hear coil whine from my LG CX OLED screen, but only when it is turned off (but not unplugged). However, I do believe that extra care should be paid to this in desktop audio devices because they tend to be in quite close proximity to the user and the coil whine may become intrusive if one is using open-back headphones or listens to speakers at a low volume. This is one of the reasons why I prefer linear power supplies and wall-warts.

As a lot of manufacturers are moving towards switching power supplies, this may become more and more common. It would be amazing if someone found a way of eliminating coil whine once for all rather than just hoping that we as consumers will simply get used to it.

PASOKO

I agree, the D90SE has very good measurement characteristics, but when I actually use it with speakers or open headphones, the environmental noise plays havoc with the final SNR.

Linear power supplies are excellent in this regard, but poor quality ones will roar, so be careful with that too. Hopefully a truly clean power supply will come along.

Top Bottom