• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

DSS

it was a 100 euro for me on audiophonics.com which was a 13% bumb. It's the biggest premium a user has ever paid for an audio codec, infact tens and hundreds of magnitudes higher. IT'S INSANE.
Wow, and Bob Stuart still can't afford a proper hairdresser?

DSS

I think this mqa thing is getting blown out of all proportion. It's starting to remind me of the satanic panic.
The good thing is that due to the logo it is clear if it is incl or not. So not to buy is a decision option too in most cases.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the desire to make more money not a valid/potential reason anymore?
Thank you. At least someone gets it.
If i could like your post more than once i would. you are now my favorite "major contributor" :)

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It would be interresting to know from you who buy this if it works without problems when connecting it to a CD player. I bought the D30 Pro and it do not work well with some CD-players, including my CD-player from Cambridge Audio. Many have had the same problem with other CD-players.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be interresting to know from you who buy this if it works without problems when connecting it to a CD player. I bought the D30 Pro and it do not work well with some CD-players, including my CD-player from Cambridge Audio. Many have had the same problem with other CD-players.
Same concern i had but i thought john already addressed that in this thread.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
D90se has no compatibility issue with CD players.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Same concern i had but i thought john already addressed that in this thread.

there was a time when the "big" CEC TL1 did not work with some DACs due to the jitter generated by the CEC TL1. May be it's the case other CD players.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I just asked Amir for his source regarding MQA licensing fees. Since he seems to be throwing statements left and right without substantiation.

I also don't see how 'the extra cost is for the effort to make MQA work' makes this situation any better.

The way I see it, it is a business decision. Maintaining multiple SKUs has a considerable cost (not least related to inventory), and they already have two (case color). In fact, the ensuing cost can be larger than the MQA markup. Hence they have to decide what to do, and for market reasons it is the non-MQA option that gets chopped.

It would have been better to pull a "Matrix" - I remember that they had one DAC where MQA could be activated later at a cost, and this could be done here as well, but apparently software development skills are not among Topping's best (display fonts horrible, behaviour of the volume buttons makes them difficult to use) and this is something they should work on.

dorirod

D30 Pro is lacking BT btw. At this point, assuming the DAC meets audibility threshold, it's become about features, support, price, etc. For this price I'd rather see SW out (and a way to implement the crossover to the main speakers) and some PEQ than more zeroes in THD+N. Nonetheless very nice achievement!

Top Bottom