• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

The Jniac

Sexy Sinad 亲爱的! Just gotta add as many features as the RME dac now and it'll be worth the cost :)
To be honest, I would accept just having the built in DSP, I already have a damn good headphone amp, and my particular audio setup requires that I am able to route an analogue signal to a headphone amp.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
-768676735.jpg

It's just the exposure. IRL it looks more like this.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I wonder what is the default digital filter on this? It is the 9038PRO default? minimum fast? I am mad if they just throw in F1, F2, F3 names in the manual, they can clearly state what type is from the ESS manual ...
Correct.

NoteMakoti

Those AKM chips have already entered urban legend snake oil territory, but Topping proves that it's the execution that matters.

F1308

Major Contributor
Congratulations to all the people involved.

If this beauty is an example of CHI-FI, then it goes without saying that the only rule about the C... word should be that it is to be written in golden bold capitals.

hapnermw

It will drive purifi module input stage with no issue. Our headphone amps have 2k input impedance. Unless you want higher voltage then you need something else.
D90 original one also drives purifi module without issue.

The D90 output voltage was not sufficient to drive a Nord 1ET400A Purifi amp with Sparkos SS2590 input buffers to full output. Adding an A90 resolved this. I believe this amp requires ~7.25 Vpeek-to-peak for maximum gain. If this is correct, neither will a D90SE at 5v output. I believe the input sensitivity of the Nord amp is similar to most other 1ET400A based amps.

PuX

Your hate boner for Topping is so laughable.
it's a real problem - look at western or Japanese DACs or amps, all labels are on the same level, one readable font is used. there can be exceptions, some manufacturer could be using comic sans, but in general it's consistent.
now compare to what Topping does. 3 or more fonts (~7 in this case with logos? + another font on screen), labels are top, bottom, left, right, center. white on black, black on white on black (why?)
well, at least the performance is good.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Those AKM chips have already entered urban legend snake oil territory, but Topping proves that it's the execution that matters.
Some middle class Marantz AVRs have "highly rated" AKMs, but it only helps so much, as tests have shown. My thinking was too "chip-centric" as I've learned here. That said, the chip must have top parameters to allow a top implementation, but such are many...

gvl

Major Contributor

There appears to be a discrepancy on this in the manual, the graph says F3 is the default, but the menu description text says the Mode1 fast roll off apodizing is the default. I hope F3 on the graph is not the same as the Mode1 in the text, as it would be very confusing.

Lewzke

There appears to be a discrepancy on this in the manual, the graph says F3 is the default, but the menu description text says the Mode1 fast roll off apodizing is the default. I hope F3 on the graph is not the same as the Mode1 in the text, as it would be very confusing.
Exactly, they have to clarify this. In my 9038D I really try to find my best filter, objectively and subjectively also and I am just leaning towards: Apodizing fast and Minimum Fast. Apodizing fast is the default in 9038Q2M manual, and minimum fast in the 9038PRO. The apodizing has the best layering, but the minimum fast is grippy and punchy.

Trell

Major Contributor
Stop, this is true just in terms of measurements, as @amirm says, not in terms of reliability or functionalities and features. To me thiese measurements are another reason to consider RME's ADI-2 DAC which includes a sota headphone amp including premium EQ features. Edit: Does not include CE certification.

@JohnYang1997 Is it correct that the D90SE does not conform to the CE marking?

Nango

Major Contributor
I don't think you can expect premium features like that or any diversity from Topping, they only focus on execution of Sinad and that's it, just look on their whole range of recently launched products. It is supposed to be kind of a flagship product ..... with no thrills??? Come on, I don't think these mfr are developing the industry one single step ahead. But be sure, their next flagship will beat again @amirm's ranking by a quarter of a dB ..... and be "King of Sinad", like someone else here said.

Otoh it is better they don't add further controls and gimmicks as the front plate may end up with 8-9 different fonts and labelings.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not exactly. Just some good performing 100MHz oscillator.

I really love this no-nonsense approach! Just use decent stuff that works instead of some presumable legendary components that might promise similar performance against a higher price.

Really stellar a achievement!

Top Bottom