• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 could you please shred some light on the following:
1. Will A90 pairs nicely with D90SE at 5.2v?
2. Should I wait for A90SE to match perfectly with D90SE at 5.2v?
3. If I use D90SE exclusively with DSD256 (or 512) contents, will it perform at the same SINAD level compares to PCM?
Thank you for this remarkable DAC!
1, yes
2, no
3, basically the same

Please dear R&D departments of all audio companies turn your resources to the weakest part of the audio chain (and stop trying to break all ready broken barriers). Speakers!
We need to see this affordable, technically outstanding performance (good and/or constant directivity, low distortion, high spl) for speakers (instead of these 10k$+ product mostly targeted to the almost niche audiophile and just wealthy but not so audiophile crowd).
Judging by the abundance of good products, I'd say the weakest link in the chain seem to be headphones.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A reminder for those excited about all the low noise and performance specs - if you're going here as a feat of engineering signal perfection, please consider matching it to the Benchmark AHB2 amplifier and LA4 line preamp (or HPA4) so that all components have the lowest noise floor ever measured to ensure your speakers are receiving the most SINAD from @amirm 's work!

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

The numbers are just awewome.
If we really need it to enjoy music is another question.

But in all cases, numbers don't lie and this is a record breaker.

And given the performance, price is justified it seems :)

Regards.
If the DAC objective is ultimate transparency to the source as audiophiles claim is their goal when selecting electronics - this DAC definitely delivers. Those wishing to "voice" the sound should use the preamp section to add their tube/analog preferences. I consider the DAC as a simple instrument that should get out of the way as it only does one thing: convert digital bits to its purest analog form before the preamp/amp takes over and messes with the signal.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping marketing department is working a lot

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/topping-d90se-dac-review/

I guess now, the smart strategy is convince the objectivist and subjectivist community ;-)
The D90SE is clearly an equipment white paper on DAC design fundamentals that should be taken apart and studied by all ChiFi newcomers who can then reduce these principles to its most basic components to offer us the $100 dongle version of this ;)

CelicaGTS

A reminder for those excited about all the low noise and performance specs - if you're going here as a feat of engineering signal perfection, please consider matching it to the Benchmark AHB2 amplifier and LA4 line preamp (or HPA4) so that all components have the lowest noise floor ever measured to ensure your speakers are receiving the most SINAD from @amirm 's work!

so the A90 (at 5.2v) is not good enough?

temps

Does Topping ever intend to make a pro DAC, similar to the Okto DAC8? Something with 4 or 8 DA channels?

Top Bottom