• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Eddy H.

What's the consensus on the best filter to use?

just leave it on default and enjoy? tough choice between 3, 5 and 7 for me.
Can you hear a difference between them? They're all pretty close. Does anyone prefer the tube sound over the stock setting?

Georgios

Hi guys, wondering if you have tried DSD via DOP with AES/COAX inputs? I only got sounds breaking up, but USB or PCM is working fine. Tried Roon and Jriver with several different digital output interfaces, seems to something on D90se is missing from my side. Thoughts?

Eddy H.

Just updated to 1.88 from 1.87 but I don't see any difference. Does anyone know what was changed?

Toku

Major Contributor
Just updated to 1.88 from 1.87 but I don't see any difference. Does anyone know what was changed?
Isn't it a fix for a bug that rarely appears during a specific operation or operation mode that is not related to sound quality?

Eddy H.

Would someone please measure the output voltage again after the 1.88 update and see if it's the same?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would someone please measure the output voltage again after the 1.88 update and see if it's the same?
Why not measure it yourself? All you need is a cheap $10 multimeter. They sell those in home improvement and electronics stores. Or online

Eddy H.

Why not measure it yourself? All you need is a cheap $10 multimeter. They sell those in home improvement and electronics stores. Or online
I'm not that worried about it. Lol Just seems like the volume is a bit lower.

Rover

I find fast linear (5) to be ever so slightly cleaner and (7) to be ever slightly softer in the highs compared to the default (3)
5 filter
1661420096273.png

InfiniteNacho

Is there a measurable lag/latency when using the d90se/le via usb hooked up to a computer. I’m interested in the dac for gaming and movies, and have been sensitive to the lag with Bluetooth devices before.

Last edited:

Eddy H.

Is there a measurable lag/latency when using the d90se/le via usb hooked up to a computer. I’m interested in the dac for gaming and movies, and have been sensitive to the lag with Bluetooth devices before.
I really dont think so.

Mikett

For 1.88 and 1.87 firmware differences.
1.87 fixed the optical stuttering from TVs for me 1.88 brings the stuttering back. I immediately returned to 1.87.
Why can't Topping get it right?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 1.87 update fixed all of my dropout issues - coax & opt.
I haven’t revisited the dropout issue ever since I bought an HDMI to coax audio de-embedder, and it has been passing the audio signal to my D90SE from my SACD player flawlessly. Now that you’re telling me that the firmware somehow fixed this (I thought the issue pertained to the input receiver on the Topping and was firmware-independent), I’m wondering what the difference in performance quality I would see if I ran the coax out of my SACD player to the D90SE directly without the de-embedder.

My instincts tell me that digital is digital and that there shouldn’t be a difference in audio quality. However I’m inclined to stick with the de-embedder because per Sony’s licensing rules, all SACD players (except for PS Audio’s) are required to down sample SACD signals from DSD 64 to PCM 48khz/16 bit via digital outputs—HDMI being the exception. I’m getting PCM 176 and 24 bit output to my Topping via the deembedder.

PS Audio apparently made some deal with the devil with Sony to circumvent this—their PerfectWave SACD player is able to transmit unadulterated DSD signals to their own DACs. That is the only exception I’ve found anywhere, and PS Audio boasts about it on their webpage.

Dgob

Can any D90SE user tell me if they have a TV that can successfully play through the optical output to their Topping and speakers - without constant signal drop-out? And if so, please could you share the model, make and type of compatible TV that is used?

Many thanks in hope and anticipation!

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can any D90SE user tell me if they have a TV that can successfully play through the optical output to their Topping and speakers - without constant signal drop-out? And if so, please could you share the model, make and type of compatible TV that is used?

Many thanks in hope and anticipation!
Couple of things to try—first if you haven’t upgraded to the latest firmware (1.88), try that. It’s available here:

Second, buy yourself an HDMI de-embedder—that solved the problem for me entirely. The one I’ve had great success with is here:

Kanex Pro HDMI Audio De-Embedder with 3D Support, 2-Channel, HDCP Compliant, Full HD 1080p (HAECOAX) https://a.co/d/i0jyBdN

If you choose this option, make sure you have “multichannel” selected to get the highest bitrate. Works for SACDs too!

Top Bottom