• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Veri

Master Contributor
Also you're saying that the increase in distortion for high frequencies when using filter 1 for instance is inherent to the implementation of the filter?
Yes. These filters are designed around trade-offs after all. Wolf's measurement differs in that he uses multiple bandwidths (currently he has 22k, 40k, 90k) while amir is only done in 90k to point out ultrasonics/leakiness of the filter.

These differences are more academic that not though, as long as all is fine in the audible range. But a proper suppression of artifacts/images is what a good filter should display. The AKM chip filters are noticeably worse compared to the better ESS ones, but they still "sound" fine...

poopy

Yes. These filters are designed around trade-offs after all. Wolf's measurement differs in that he uses multiple bandwidths (currently he has 22k, 40k, 90k) while amir is only done in 90k to point out ultrasonics/leakiness of the filter.

These differences are more academic that not though, as long as all is fine in the audible range. But a proper suppression of artifacts/images is what a good filter should display. The AKM chip filters are noticeably worse compared to the better ESS ones, but they still "sound" fine...
I got it, thanks for the clarification! I realised too late that in Wolf's graph the dashed curves are the 90kHz BW.

fred38

Hello,

I have a problem with the preamp/DAC mode (static noise, crackles and popping). The DAC feeding directly my power amp (NAD C275BEE).
I have tested 2 x 90LE and 1 x 90SE, and I still have the same problem.
In simple DAC mode, they work perfectly.

I managed to reproduce the fault at a friend's house, and my dealer confirmed the problem on the 90LE which I sent back.

Can anyone give me feedback on using the 90SE/LE connected directly to a power amp?
I despair, I'm about to give up....

More details: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-topping-d90se-and-d90le.36340/#post-1275173

Thanks

Eddy H.

Hello,

I have a problem with the preamp/DAC mode (static noise, crackles and popping). The DAC feeding directly my power amp (NAD C275BEE).
I have tested 2 x 90LE and 1 x 90SE, and I still have the same problem.
In simple DAC mode, they work perfectly.

I managed to reproduce the fault at a friend's house, and my dealer confirmed the problem on the 90LE which I sent back.

Can anyone give me feedback on using the 90SE/LE connected directly to a power amp?
I despair, I'm about to give up....

More details: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-topping-d90se-and-d90le.36340/#post-1275173

Thanks
I'm using a pre90 from my D90se because I couldn't stand the static and noises I would get when changing sources in pre mode.

fred38

I'm using a pre90 from my D90se because I couldn't stand the static and noises I would get when changing sources in pre mode.
My problem is not only when changing tracks. When the defect appears, it is present throughout the song, only stopping the DAC allows to stop it.

fred38

Do you have noise when nothing is playing?
I think so. I did a lot of testing before I went on holiday, but I have my doubts. If it's important, I can do another test.
What I do remember is that even when you turn the sound down very low, the flaws, keep the same sound level.

Last edited:

Eddy H.

I think so. I did a lot of testing before I went on holiday, but I have my doubts. If it's important, I can do another test.
What I do remember is that even when you turn the sound down very low, the flaws, keep the same sound level.
Sounds like you got a bad unit. Have you tried updating the dac to the latest firmware? Maybe that might help.

fred38

Sounds like you got a bad unit. Have you tried updating the dac to the latest firmware? Maybe that might help.
I have encountered the problem with 3 different units (2xD90LEs which I sent back, and recently the 1xD90SE which I still own). For one of the D90LEs, my dealer managed to reproduce the fault, and I also reproduced it at a friend's house.
It would be quite a coincidence to have 3 defective units. Unless the problem is present on all the dacs on the market....

Regarding firmware, the D90LE there is none available. The D90SE is not up to date, but I don't dare to do it because I'm considering sending it back.

Did you use the D90SE for a long time before buying the PRE?

Eddy H.

I have encountered the problem with 3 different units (2xD90LEs which I sent back, and recently the 1xD90SE which I still own). For one of the D90LEs, my dealer managed to reproduce the fault, and I also reproduced it at a friend's house.
It would be quite a coincidence to have 3 defective units. Unless the problem is present on all the dacs on the market....

Regarding firmware, the D90LE there is none available. The D90SE is not up to date, but I don't dare to do it because I'm considering sending it back.

I got the pre90 a couple months after the dac.

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
I use my D90SE (1,87 firmware) into my power amplifier (ATC P1) with no issues at all.
I had the same issues.
I bought an old flying mole power amp, and wanted to use it with the d90se, but there was terrible static noise when using it. No noise when being driven by my marantz HD-DAC1.

I have updated the firmware since then and not tried it since...

Eddy H.

Are you using the balanced connection on the dac?

Frank Sol

I have firmware 1.87 installed and all is well
I'm looking for step by step instructions on how to configure and the purpose of the internal setup options...
They are different than the last firmware I had installed and there are more steps/options
I'm sure the instructions are somewhere but I can't seem to locate them

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can anything be gained sound-wise going from a Topping E50 to D90?
Yes, a 1.85dB hotter output signal (5.25Vrms vs 4.25 on the E50).
That's about 14% louder and definitely audible.
Only relevant though if you're currently gain-limited.

Top Bottom