• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

auronthas

What is Roon usefull for? I just saw an offer at $9.99/month. To listen my owned music?
Join a free trial and explore. Having a headless PC Intel NUC with ROCK , can remotely control music via my iPad , choose my own music collection or two major music streaming apps , it will learn your listen behavior and genres. Read music metadata , composers, artists, music arrangers, etc, from there to choose similar music.

Also if Roon Ready device, you can control upsampling, decoder settings and many more.....

Just sit and relax to browse through tablet whole enjoy music

respice finem

Major Contributor
I 'rationalize' every dollar I spend. This is the value of ASR and Amir's work, which all of us should appreciate. It enables us to make informed decision.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough: informed decision = yes, but even knowing I will not hear a difference, if a device suits my needs better, or I like it better, this is sufficient for me to make this decision.

mrbungle

That is the worst. I'm listening open minded.
167184EB-E36C-46E4-88D7-5F6346AE83D9.gif

respice finem

Major Contributor
I mean it more generally, not limited to one model, and not directly related to saving money. Example: I wanted a DAC/preamp/HPA for my new active setup, and after reading the reviews here I got the RME ADI2-DAC. Certainly, there are several alternatives, in my case I simply liked the RMEs "sum of the details" best. One of them, good availability of service, where I live (Germany). For another use case, something else may be suited better. Horses for courses.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Placed my order today for the D90ES at Apos. Looking forward to get it delivered this week. Going to use it as an external DAC with my Bluesound NODE over Coaxial until Bluesound releases the firmware that would enable the USB out in the NODE.
Is the NODE definitely going to get output on USB?

nhs

Join a free trial and explore. Having a headless PC Intel NUC with ROCK , can remotely control music via my iPad , choose my own music collection or two major music streaming apps , it will learn your listen behavior and genres. Read music metadata , composers, artists, music arrangers, etc, from there to choose similar music.

Also if Roon Ready device, you can control upsampling, decoder settings and many more.....

Just sit and relax to browse through tablet whole enjoy music
Why not UPnP/OpenHome? you can do it all.

hexxpunk

Hey all. I have the d90se and the a90 on order to use with my Focal Clear Mg. Ive been reading a lot on the forum about balanced vs single end, but I think I'm still a little confused.

According to the measurements of the D90se, the xlr outputs measure better than the RCA, and if I'm understanding the measurements of the A90, the balanced headphone out is noisier than the singled ended output.

So, does it make more sense to run my system:

D90se > XLR > A90 > Balanced Out > Clear Mg

or

D90se > RCA > A90 > Single End Out > Clear Mg

or

D90se > XLR > A90 > Single End Out > Clear Mg

Veri

Master Contributor
D90se > XLR > A90 > Single End Out > Clear Mg
Is what I'd do since the Clear is quite sensitive and balanced out will give you more noise on paper, and less useable volume range due to more power. The balanced outputs can be there if you need them for future very insensitive headphones. On the other hand, if all you need is lower(single ended power), you can also consider cheaper amp like A30 Pro instead of A90. A90 can be thought of more 'future proof' though.

All depends on your needs :D

hexxpunk

Thanks! Are there any disadvantages to running XLR in and SE out on the A90? If I was reading Amir's review correctly, that was stated as a worst cast scenario, so I assume it introduces more noise? I'm still a little unclear on that point.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks! Are there any disadvantages to running XLR in and SE out on the A90? If I was reading Amir's review correctly, that was stated as a worst cast scenario, so I assume it introduces more noise? I'm still a little unclear on that point.
SE output is less noisy.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Is the NODE definitely going to get output on USB?

That is the promise for the New NODE and POWERNODE as stated in their website.

CelicaGTS

I’m currently using D90SE@5v => A90 => Focal Utopia, at middle gain, A90’s volume node is only around 30%~40%. I heard: 5v output is better than 4v; middle gain is unit gain which better; volume node is usually calibrated for best channel balance at 50%. Based on the above, @JohnYang1997 could you please comment which of the following yield the best SINAD?
1. 5v output to A90 at middle gain but 30% of volume;
2. 4v output to A90, middle gain but 50% of volume;
3. 5v output to A90, low gain but 50% of volume.
it’s just a few days but I think this setup outdone a lot of my other big name equipments. Thank you!

I have been following John’s suggestion with option 1 above, but just realized A90’s XLR input 6.3mm output is less noisy than balanced output! Since I’m only using 30% of volume, dear @JohnYang1997 , should I change to a single ended 6.3mm headphone cable to gain lower noise and 50% volume (better channel balance?) ? Will I be able to tell the lowered noise? (In another word, in balanced headphone cable the noise is already so low that human hearing can’t tell?)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have been following John’s suggestion with option 1 above, but just realized A90’s XLR input 6.3mm output is less noisy than balanced output! Since I’m only using 30% of volume, dear @JohnYang1997 , should I change to a single ended 6.3mm headphone cable to gain lower noise and 50% volume (better channel balance?) ? Will I be able to tell the lowered noise? (In another word, in balanced headphone cable the noise is already so low that human hearing can’t tell?)
1, Not that you should but you can. It will give you lower gain for better volume tracking.
2, Not really.
3, That's correct. 0.6uV at BAL out is still extremely low.

ceausuc

The D90SE proved that toroidal transformers, Accusilicon oscillators, linear regulators from Texas Instrument, Nichicon filter capacitors, etc. was useless in order to obtain high performance.

What kind of sound does it make?
No, nothing. Copper wire for DA conversion.

Maybe you missed the point? Since there are no (more!) expensive parts inside why does it cost 900$?
Would you pay 1000$ for a box with a copper wire inside ? :)

And yeah, research... I suppose D90 had also research, no? Maybe more since it was about a new(at the time) dac chip?!

I suppose Topping just got a little greedy. A sign that they are doing well. I would probably do the same :)

respice finem

Major Contributor
Nobody has to buy expensive, and nobody has to sell cheap. When supply surpasses demand, prices fall. To be able to lower prices then, and survive, a manufacturer has to sell at a higher price as long as there is enough demand. That's roughly how it works.

AshenD

Hello everyone, new member here.
Recently bought an SMSL SU-9 which have 3rd Harmonic issue and to be honest just i want to return it and I'm aiming to buy this D90se and would like to know if it's good enough to pair it with a A30pro through XLR balanced input.
I'm newbie in this new hobby of mine so I really appreciate your help thanking all of you in advance.

nagster

Maybe you missed the point? Since there are no (more!) expensive parts inside why does it cost 900$?

And yeah, research... I suppose D90 had also research, no? Maybe more since it was about a new(at the time) dac chip?!

I suppose Topping just got a little greedy. A sign that they are doing well. I would probably do the same :)
I think that about 100 to 500 dollars is good for equipment aimed at 90 to 95%.

If you aim for 100%, the cost will increase exponentially.
It requires high performance parts, labor, talent and time, and they are expensive.
$ 1000? $ 2000? $ 3000?
If the results are still good, there will be demand.

I need both.

nagster

If a more linear DA conversion than the D90SE is possible, I would pay $ 1000 for a box of copper wire.
My purpose is not expensive parts.

Top Bottom