• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I incorrectly and unclear ask a question? Or simply all ignore (including the representative of Topping)?

Yes, the question is rather incoherent and unclear. You might want to rephrase.

David_M

I incorrectly and unclear ask a question? Or simply all ignore (including the representative of Topping)?
Are you asking whether the blue light turns on when Original MQA is processed and the green light on when studio-quality MQA is processed?

Palex

Yes, the question is rather incoherent and unclear. You might want to rephrase.
ask me to forgive, I write with the translator.
"The MQA ‘Studio’ (blue light) of gives confirmation directly from mastering engineers, producers or artists to their listeners. MQA Studio authenticates that the sound you are hearing is exactly as played in the studio when the music was completed and, by implication, that this is also the definitive version of the recording at that point in time.
A second level, ‘MQA’ (green light) of is available to indicate that although the stream is genuine, provenance may be uncertain or that it isn't yet the final release."
SMSL M500 - shows indicators of blue and green color. At me, in a collection only MQA ‘Studio’ (not for discussion concerning a format)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I still don’t see a question here..

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Screenshot_20210806-001717__01.jpg
Screenshot_20210806-001630__01.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It really doesn’t leave a lot to the imagination I think.. a bit of google turn up some actual examples:

1628184547585.jpeg

1628184594291.jpeg

Virtually the same way of displaying is used in countless of Topping products.

Palex

Many thanks. I have understood everything. Thanks for spent time. I trust - only to this site

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm still wondering what that 3710 chip could be. I now found it in another DAC.

Attachments

• E30-3710.PNG
    E30-3710.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 142

auronthas

Exactly, to add on, Roon tested devices can be after Roon Ready endpoint or Roon Core (NUC/ROCK) via USB to Topping D90

View attachment 145225
Sorry to bring it up again, should Roon recognise Topping DAC , Roon/Topping users can modify D90 settings in Roon Remote 's device setup as the above photo eg. upsampling , MQA capabilities as decoder/renderer, MQA core decoder etc.

rlwings

Man I wish I could use MQA with Dirac Live room correction on my D90SE. :( ... Oh well, Tidal's "Hi-res" music seems to have about the same sound quality as MQA anyway. Very small if any difference.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Man I wish I could use MQA with Dirac Live room correction on my D90SE. :( ... Oh well, Tidal's "Hi-res" music seems to have about the same sound quality as MQA anyway. Very small if any difference.

You can, you'll just miss the last "unfold" or render, which is nothing more than another upsample step anyway. It's just that the MQA light won't light up on the DAC.

Lupin

You can, you'll just miss the last "unfold" or render, which is nothing more than another upsample step anyway. It's just that the MQA light won't light up on the DAC.
But that light is responsible for >99.879% of the "better sound" that people claim to hear with MQA.. :p;)

rlwings

Thank you! ... Actually I am upsampling everything to 176,400 anyway. Would this be the same thing as the 3rd MQA unfold?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! ... Actually I am upsampling everything to 176,400 anyway. Would this be the same thing as the 3rd MQA unfold?

No, it's not the same.. probably your upsample will use a decent filter, unlike the leaky one MQA uses.

Lupin

I'm absolutely 1001% convinced that the lid up MQA logo in the display and status LED color is responsible for >99.9% of how people perceive the SQ.

I think it would be very interesting (and hilarious) to do a test with a modified DAC.
That modified DAC would have a special firmware loaded that makes the DAC behave in such a way that it always shows the MQA logo and it always shows the status color LED that indicates a full MQA unfold no matter what you actually feed the DAC, even if is a 320K MP3.

Feed the DAC the exact same 320K MP3 on both runs, one run without the MQA logo and status LED on and afterwards a run with both MQA logo and LED on indicating an "MQA stream full unfold".
I so certain that the vast majority will claim that the SQ on the second run is better...

nagster

I suppose in case you have not read this review, are you sure about your assertion? You are confident to distinguish 2-3dBs SINAD?
In this thread since July 28th, you have refuted several posts.
But when you were asked for scientific evidence, you ran away.
You leave them alone and continue to post new posts and ask questions.
After you settle all of them, I will answer your question.

Top Bottom