• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Veri

Master Contributor
No need to make four posts in a row, this clutters up the thread for everyone it isn't just about you. Anyway you want comparisons using drivers from other manufacturers? That is not even possible, the USB driver is signed for a specific manufacturer/producer in the form of a vendor ID.

I believe John means to tell you that you are being unreasonable and/or don't really know entirely what you're talking about as in the USB example. Just be friendly and polite in what you're trying to determine, and people will look into it and even measure it I've seen nothing but good intentions in the other posts. Your current behaviour is rather aggressive and blameful. Even in top of the line products some devices fail, if the pop noise is way too loud to be normal I would suggest requesting a return and refund. That should be a pretty easy solution...

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Troll Alert. He apparently broke out of his cage last night. Paco will not be back to bother us again. At least not as Paco. :cool:

Wps998

Yeah, and he dug his heels in deeper, criticizing something vague about the treble. I don't hear anything wrong with the treble on this DAC, FWIW.

I actually have the d90se and bifrost 2. The d90se digs deeper and reveals more information in every track no doubt. The bifrost2 is also not lacking in detail, its just not as transparent and defined as the d90se. With bifrost2, some notes in a track is a bit softer or distant sounding so hence i can understand it increases perceived depth and works well with some genres. Bifrost2 upper mids can a smidge too forward not as even handed as the d90se. This is my subjective take. I won't sell the bifrost 2 though, its sounds marvelous with country, jazz, swing, acoustic and gospel rock music. The D90SE is immensely capable with pop, electronic, orchestral OSTs, rap is unreal playing through soloist 3XP. The bifrost is tied to my wells milo which is the warmer rig. Having one transperant dac and one slightly colored is ideal for me. I take a every review with a grain of salt as always. I don't do level match testing or any of that, i just enjoy my gear, after having more time spent with each rig, their character will eventually show itself to my taste.

threni

Major Contributor

mocenigo

Major Contributor
R2R dac only adds small signal nonlinearities and high order harmonics as well as IMD.

And better settling time, or at least mathematically provably bounded (just to nitpick, in essentially all cases this is not an issue). However there are ways to use sign magnitude R2R networks that effectively reduce any small signal nonlinearity by at least 24Db (and I am quite sure that nobody uses these tricks).

nhs

Is there any reason why is the power consumption of the D90SE so high in stand-by mode (power off switched by remote)?
I measured 3.5 Watt on my D90SE, that not state of the art this day. The SMSL SU-9, I had, take only 0.5 Watt. So Topping doesn't make home work on this discipline.
It's because of the auto turn on function.
@JohnYang1997 thx:)
Does that mean if I turn off the auto function, the stand-by power consumption will significantly go down then?
Should be.
Trust by VERIFY!!!
Today I turned off the auto function and measured the stand-by power consumption of D90SE again.
The result: 3.5 Watt
It's doesn't matter if auto function is turned on or off, the stand-by power is always very high.
I think @JohnYang1997 would correct his statement above.

threni

Major Contributor
Trust by VERIFY!!!
Today I turned off the auto function and measured the stand-by power consumption of D90SE again.
It's doesn't matter if auto function is turned on or off, the stand-by power is always very high.
The manual says <8.5W in use, and <5W in standby. What's to correct?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Trust by VERIFY!!!
OK then. The circuits don't turn off..

threni

Major Contributor
I said turning off auto on function would reduce the standby power consumption. I was wrong.

Ah. That does sound like a fault! Perhaps a firmware tweak could fix that?

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've seen the D90se comes with switching supplies which could reach approx 0,1W for standby mode.

To meet this, power chips for analog and digital sections must be switched off, disabled, and the controller must go to sleep mode, waiting for wakeup event (front panel button or remote control signal, maybe USB signals from a PC, from Toslink...).

I've a D50s. That wakes up for USB signals (triggered by any audio player). I didn't check what that needs in power down mode. A lot if a transformer based linear PSU is used to feed it and never switched off. Or a lot if powered maybe by a DC wall adapter, or by a PC USB port not disabled in PC power down mode (BIOS/motherboard features dependent).

One way to go for no power consupmtion whilst off is maybe a DIY 12V trigger circuit, to cut 220V if PC or preamp/amp is turned off.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
When I don't know much about a product I first take a look at the ratio 5 star reviews vs the rest. Then I read the 1 and 2 star reviews to see what they say. If those people post about things like letter types/size that are not 100% right or a standby mode that draws power for auto turn on, while there is also a power off switch, I know for sure it's a great product.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
When I don't know much about a product I first take a look at the ratio 5 star reviews vs the rest. Then I read the 1 and 2 star reviews to see what they say. If those people post about things like letter types/size that are not 100% right or a standby mode that draws power for auto turn on, while there is also a power off switch, I know for sure it's a great product.
You have an uncommonly good understanding of human nature!

b4nt

Problem with this: one may have to switch off several boxes (the DAC, the screen, the amp, the PC...). Some solve this with a basic power stripe equipped with a switch. Some others with a power stripe featuring master/slaves: power down the master, 220V will be cut for others. 0W.

Trell

Major Contributor

You can also see a low power consumption in standby as a desired feature and part of a decision to buy a device. In this case I think that Topping can do better.

Edit: @b4nt provided an EU link showing that the DAC draws too much power in standby for EU market, unless it's a networked device. I'm not sure can call the DAC a networked device because of included the Bluetooth.

Last edited:

b4nt

You can also see a low power consumption in standby as a desired feature and part of a decision to buy a device. In this case I think that Topping can do better.

Sorry, this is french, and maybe not the latest: "Depuis 2013, ils ne doivent pas consommer plus de 0,5 watt en mode veille ou arrêt." https://ec.europa.eu/info/energy-cl...roducts/mode-standby-and-networked-standby_fr

European recommandations for standby modes: since 2013 and due to energy/climate concerns, products must not use more than 0,5W. So people may also be surprised then complain if they notice a recent small box needs 3.5W in standby.

Trell

Major Contributor
Sorry, this is french, and maybe not the latest: "Depuis 2013, ils ne doivent pas consommer plus de 0,5 watt en mode veille ou arrêt." https://ec.europa.eu/info/energy-cl...roducts/mode-standby-and-networked-standby_fr

European recommandations for standby modes: since 2013 and due to energy/climate concerns, products must not use more than 0,5W. So people may also be surprised then complain if they notice a recent small box needs 3.5W in standby.

Thanks for the link! One can select another language on top of that page.

EU has for many years been driving the regulations towards lower power consumption, and I think that is something very good.

Top Bottom