• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

G-rig

Pretty fancy interconnect, wouldn't all your gear need to have it. What are the benefits? USB is fine but hopefully you sort it out.

SACD and laser disc never really took off, but cool none the less.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DSD is not encrypted, SACD's are.

Yes, sure, but the point - which I’m confident you understood - is that I thought I2S allowed for DSD output from an SACD.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I2S is intended as an interface standard, usually on board and not over an external cable... I2S over HDMI is not something I'd expect in pro/studio usage, actually.
Well those "audiophile" focused businesses need something to push their >$5K HDMI cables... ;)

auronthas

I believe what @auronthas was specifically asking about is DoP support via I2S.
Yes that's my question if SACD's DSD signal can be transmitted via HDMI cable to HDMI/I2S extractor then to D90 with phase reversed , in both Native DSD and DoP. (Playing physical SACD disc via BluRay/SACD player)

If this can't be done in physical SACD , I have no choice but to rip SACD into DSF files, save them into HDD/SSD, play via network media players to Douk Audio USB to I2S converter then to D90.

Thanks again to all your replies. Cheers.

auronthas

Pretty fancy interconnect, wouldn't all your gear need to have it. What are the benefits? USB is fine but hopefully you sort it out.

SACD and laser disc never really took off, but cool none the less.
If SACD can output DSD signals via HDMI, D90 can receive native DSD signal via I2S (with reverse phase sequence?_) at upto DSD512 compare
to USB which is only 192kHz (DSD4)

Labjr

Major Contributor
If SACD can output DSD signals via HDMI, D90 can receive native DSD signal via I2S (with reverse phase sequence?_) at upto DSD512 compare
to USB which is only 192kHz (DSD4)
Which SACDs are using DSD512?

auronthas

Which SACDs are using DSD512?
my bad, I meant 5.6Mbps DSD128.

Anyway, I will rip them in dsf format if the HDMI/ I2S not working. Will try USB B from media player to I2S of D90

Last edited:

auronthas

Maybe you should ask the OP that question before posting your tangential responses in the thread.
Yes, my original question is how to extract physical SACD's DSD bit stream data from bluray/SACD player to D90 via HDMI/I2S interface

rcstevensonaz

Is this still competitive vs the DX7 Pro+?
How is the DX7 Pro+ even competitive here?

The DX7 Pro+ has a built in amp, a headphone jack on the front, and a volume dial that protrudes out the front of the case — flat out "No Go" to even consider the DX7 Pro+ instead of the D10. Heck, even the E70 is barely in contention as a competitor — granted, it doesn't have a built in amp or headphone jack, but it still has the protruding volume control.

Trell

Major Contributor
How is the DX7 Pro+ even competitive here?

The DX7 Pro+ has a built in amp, a headphone jack on the front, and a volume dial that protrudes out the front of the case — flat out "No Go" to even consider the DX7 Pro+ instead of the D10. Heck, even the E70 is barely in contention as a competitor — granted, it doesn't have a built in amp or headphone jack, but it still has the protruding volume control.

The volume knob of DX7 Pro+ is protruding so that you can use your fingers to easily rotate it. I like volume knobs that are not flush.

The D90SE has up and down buttons for changing volume level, and that I don’t like at all.

rcstevensonaz

The volume knob of DX7 Pro+ is protruding so that you can use your fingers to easily rotate it. I like volume knobs that are not flush.

The D90SE has up and down buttons for changing volume level, and that I don’t like at all.
I want a DAC only—flush buttons are OK, though not desired either—so the DX7 Pro+ is not competitive in any way for me... the protruding button is exactly the issue since it gets in the way of my other devices (RME ADI2 Pro, Monolith THX 887) that provide pre-amp volume controls.

Of course, if your goal is a Preamp + Amp, then your milage may vary (as they say) and the DX7 Pro+ could be very competitive. Especially since the D10 is a pretty crappy headphone amplifier. :cool:

Top Bottom