• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Dgob

Couple of things to try—first if you haven’t upgraded to the latest firmware (1.88), try that. It’s available here:

Second, buy yourself an HDMI de-embedder—that solved the problem for me entirely. The one I’ve had great success with is here:

Kanex Pro HDMI Audio De-Embedder with 3D Support, 2-Channel, HDCP Compliant, Full HD 1080p (HAECOAX) https://a.co/d/i0jyBdN

If you choose this option, make sure you have “multichannel” selected to get the highest bitrate. Works for SACDs too!
Many thanks for your kind response,

I am starting to look into this. However, please could you just outline how you connect your TV and D90SE using the Kanex: which types of cables to which in puts or out puts?

Dgob

All, I am also still hoping that someone who does not suffer this problem with their TV can name the brand and make of the TV!

pchmykh

Anyone knows how to obtain that DAC SINAD chart from the very first post? Posted one is unreadable on opening :(

I have solved this problem with my Samsung 2021 tv by putting a bluesound node between the dac and the tv.

bluesound node via usb to the topping d90se

works flawlessly

crispynz1

All, I am also still hoping that someone who does not suffer this problem with their TV can name the brand and make of the TV!
My 11 year old Panasonic TV has no issues. The optical plug on the D90SE is extremely tight, are you sure you have it inserted correctly? It really takes some effort to get it in properly. I am using firmware 1.87

sernikus

My TV is cheap LG75UM7xxx series , no problem with spdif (Toslink) stereo . No dropouts - few weeks Topping D90SE now Gustard X26Pro. My old Kenwood DP-X9010 transport (coaxial spdif) works without any problem ... (Topping and Gustard) But i have another problem with my TV (or digital audio path in it) - it can't correctly downmix multichannel audio to stereo while watching / using 4k multichannel source (from Disney+ , Apple tv - there is no option to switch sound to 2 channel in the App settings - Netflix is OK - I can set sound to "stereo" ) and it sounds like that - voices , effects like detonations etc. -OK left and /or right channel or center. But music (originally "background " in 2 channels is positioned ONLY in 1 channel - right , sometimes left channel .... TV settings of course -PCM I must try some "ARC HDMi extractor " ....

Dgob

My 11 year old Panasonic TV has no issues. The optical plug on the D90SE is extremely tight, are you sure you have it inserted correctly? It really takes some effort to get it in properly. I am using firmware 1.87
Excellent, this sounds like what I was hoping for. Could you clarify what model Panasonic, and do you know if the more recent models (assuming I won't be able to find an 11 years old model) would also work?

Many thanks

crispynz1

Excellent, this sounds like what I was hoping for. Could you clarify what model Panasonic, and do you know if the more recent models (assuming I won't be able to find an 11 years old model) would also work?

Many thanks
It's a TH-P50V20 Z.

Dgob

On the connection to the D90SE, I have checked but also dismiss this as a potential cause seeing as the same problem occurred with my Gustard X26 Pro and Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE: the latter allowing the resolution of it by engaging the option of turning off PLL.

I also know that the problem resides within the dac-tv interaction as I also tried an Optical to Coaxial converter, which did not overcome the problem. The issue seems to be in clock interaction.

Last edited:

Dgob

Can I ask, are there other D90SE users who have had success with other (probably more recent/obtainable) Panasonic models? If so, please could you state the model?

Thanks in anticipation

Roland68

Major Contributor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an LG C9 and while I don't often listen using the optical>D90SE, when I do there are no dropouts. Of course one must change the TV setting to PCM, not bitstream.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks for your kind response,

I am starting to look into this. However, please could you just outline how you connect your TV and D90SE using the Kanex: which types of cables to which in puts or out puts?
HDMI cable out of an HDMI ARC port on your TV into Kanex Pro, optical or coax out of your Kanex Pro to your Topping. On most TVs the ARC port is two-way. You can get the HAECOAX from Amazon and return if it doesn’t work…

Dgob

HDMI cable out of an HDMI ARC port on your TV into Kanex Pro, optical or coax out of your Kanex Pro to your Topping. On most TVs the ARC port is two-way. You can get the HAECOAX from Amazon and return if it doesn’t work…
Many thanks, unfortunately we cannot get the Kanex in the UK. I will look into an alternative, unless you know of one that might offer UK sale and possible 220V compatibility?

Last edited:

linger63

Many thanks, unfortunately we cannot get the Kanex in the UK. I will look into an alternative, unless you know of one that might offer UK sale and possible 220V compatibility?
The Kanex uses a 5V wallwart

Dgob

The Kanex uses a 5V wallwart
Thanks, I saw one that could be imported from Japan, to arrive here in November. However, it states that you will need a step-down transformer!? The 5V transformer, would make a huge difference, although a workable alternative option that I could get in less time (locally) would be great.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m pretty sure the power supply that comes with the Kanex is variable voltage. They also sell them on eBay I’m fairly certain. I tried a few of them until I found one that remedied the dropouts. Even the Kanex Pro HAECOAX3 didn’t work.

Have you tried updating the firmware? Someone else on here said it fixed their problem with it (although I’m having trouble conceiving how, given the proposed etiology of the issue).

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I saw one that could be imported from Japan, to arrive here in November. However, it states that you will need a step-down transformer!? The 5V transformer, would make a huge difference, although a workable alternative option that I could get in less time would be great.
I just checked eBay and it’s awash with HAECOAX, a couple dozen units from the US—which I would guess would be considerably less of a pain in the ass to navigate than Japan? B&H also carries them. And since it requires a 5V 2 amp power supply, does it matter what the wall voltage is? I’m pretty sure 5 volts is 5 volts is 5 volts as far as the Kanex cares about—as long as you buy a universal, variable voltage 5V DC converter with the correct polarity and correct tip to fit the unit’s power jack, I think the voltage conversion occurs in the wall wart (the wall wart is the step down transformer)…

UPDATE: I’m using a regular old iFi iPower 5 volt power supply to power my HAECOAX and that unit accepts both 110 and 220. As I said all you need is a universal 5V 2 amp minimum power supply and it’ll work on either side of the pond.

Last edited:

Dgob

I just checked eBay and it’s awash with HAECOAX, a couple dozen units from the US—which I would guess would be considerably less of a pain in the ass to navigate than Japan? B&H also carries them. And since it requires a 5V 2 amp power supply, does it matter what the wall voltage is? I’m pretty sure 5 volts is 5 volts is 5 volts as far as the Kanex cares about—as long as you buy a universal, variable voltage 5V DC converter with the correct polarity and correct tip to fit the unit’s power jack, I think the voltage conversion occurs in the wall wart (the wall wart is the step down transformer)…

UPDATE: I’m using a regular old iFi iPower 5 volt power supply to power my HAECOAX and that unit accepts both 110 and 220. As I said all you need is a universal 5V 2 amp minimum power supply and it’ll work on either side of the pond.
Amazon comes up with the notification that they do NOT ship to the UK. Thanks for the heads-up and I will check again though.

Ooops!! I just realised that you suggested eBay. I will check immediately. Thanks again. :facepalm:

Top Bottom