• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest, I do the same. I experimented with the 'valve' and the 'transistor' options and couldn't understand how these really were high fidelity options.
For the “valve curious” crowd! :D

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't discern any difference between the 3 so left it neutral.

Dgob

I couldn't discern any difference between the 3 so left it neutral.
Sorry to hear that, as it were :). There are very audible differences (particularly on the 'Valve Sound' option) on my set-up. These are especially obvious regarding bass reproduction, dynamics and imaging. I expected that to be a universal outcome, which underpins my curiosity regarding their functionality.

Can I ask what set-up (gear) your D90SE runs with?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear that, as it were :). There are very audible differences (particularly on the 'Valve Sound' option) on my set-up. These are especially obvious regarding bass reproduction, dynamics and imaging. I expected that to be a universal outcome, which underpins my curiosity regarding their functionality.

Can I ask what set-up (gear) your D90SE runs with?
Trust me, everyone who has commented on these modes on various sites have agreed-no one can reliably tell a difference. My rig is in my sig. Eversolo DMP A6>D90SE>Freya+ passthru>Buckeye 3 ch Purifi>F208's.

Dgob

Trust me, everyone who has commented on these modes on various sites have agreed-no one can reliably tell a difference. My rig is in my sig. Eversolo DMP A6>D90SE>Freya+ passthru>Buckeye 3 ch Purifi>F208's.
Many commentators then, and a nice system. Strange feeling to apparently be the only one who can hear the notable (noted) distinctions! :)

But more seriously, I am amazed that even the Valve Sound option is not obviously distinct (although I could understand greater difficulty in distinguishing the distinctions between the OFF and Transistor Sound options). As I said, it is not a small distinction for me.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If one wants to see how these modes look like here they are:

1714049661278.png

We're talking 60db and 40db SINAD for Transistor and Tube.
(that could put some SINAD chasers to rest and it's ironic to happen by a SINAD champion)

Top Bottom