• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE --> Pre90/Ext90 --> VTV Purifi Eigentakt Stereo Amp

Frank Sol

Thoughts , Opinions and Suggestions on how this trio would electronically interact together. Would they be compatible?

Connections would be via XLR cables

(I am a new member here with this 1st post - Be gentle)

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you ask him to bypass the input buffer altogether, you'll have a Top 3 measuring amp if not higher. But, you probably won't be able to tell the difference against setups 1/2 the price.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you ask him to bypass the input buffer altogether, you'll have a Top 3 measuring amp if not higher. But, you probably won't be able to tell the difference against setups 1/2 the price.

what is the max output of the Pre90?

OP
Frank Sol

Frank Sol

Front End

Yamaha T2 tuner , Cambridge Audio CXC transport & CXN (V2) streamer , PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter and some others

OP
Frank Sol

Frank Sol

If you ask him (VTV) to bypass the input buffer altogether...

I read do's and don'ts about that... Seen where it was not recommended but it has been implemented

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thoughts , Opinions and Suggestions on how this trio would electronically interact together. Would they be compatible?

Connections would be via XLR cables

(I am a new member here with this 1st post - Be gentle)
Welcome to ASR. This combo should be excellent indeed.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
has the fiasco of the impedance not being optimal for phono stages reached a conclusion?

that's the only measly concern i would have with this setup.
It honestly has nothing to do with phono stage. A proper phono preamp should have line level output with low enough output impedance. Potential issue is using single ended connection can lead to ground loop etc.
If it's to pair with D90se using XLR connection then I'm all for it. For other devices that I have no control over, I can't really give recommendation.
My suggestion would be try it if it works it works, if not then return it.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am pairing a SMSL SU-9 with a NAD C298 (same tech), why would one need a Pre90 if the D90SE or any modern DAC outputs 4+volts rms via XLR already and you can connect the DAC directly to the Amp balanced without the need for a preamp? Volume control via say D90SE as well!

Any sonic benefits at all, I mean you are adding another component in the chain...there must be a reason:rolleyes:

Experts please chime in...

Last edited:
I have exactly this setup:
bluesound node streamer-optical cable-topping d90se-XLR cables-purifI audiophonics LPA s400 power amplifier -dynaudio heritage specials

sounds addicting and excellent. works fine as a pre amplifier. Small, reasonable affordable and high end system.
4v pre amp is fine, tried 5v but heard no improvement.

Last edited:
topping d90se can not take Samsung tv optical input. Too much jitter. Probably LG same problems.
I solved this problem by attaching hdmi tv output to bluesound node to topping d90se.

now tv sound works flawlessly and delay can be fine tuned with bluesound node.

(bluesound will update soon to usb output for external dac)

OP
Frank Sol

Frank Sol

I am pairing a SMSL SU-9 with a NAD C298 (same tech), why would one need a Pre90 if the D90SE or any modern DAC outputs 4+volts rms via XLR already and you can connect the DAC directly to the Amp balanced without the need for a preamp? Volume control via say D90SE as well!

Any sonic benefits at all, I mean you are adding another component in the chain...there must be a reason:rolleyes:

Experts please chime in...

There are several input units so a switcher of some kind would be needed... However maybe a case can be made that Pre90/Ext90 are expensive means to switch front-end equipment

Shoaibexpert

topping d90se can not take Samsung tv optical input. Too much jitter. Probably LG same problems.
I solved this problem by attaching hdmi tv output to bluesound node to topping d90se.

now tv sound works flawlessly and delay can be fine tuned with bluesound node.

(bluesound will update soon to usb output for external dac)
Hi, I have a Samsung QLED from 2019 and it's optical to my SMSL SU-9 works fine...at lowest DPLL setting btw...

Tried all different cables, but my Samsung tv The Frame 2020 sound keeps stuttering.
I’ve read on several forums that the jitter from samsung tv optical output signals is very high and not every dac can cope with that. Not only topping d90se.

so the problem seems more a Samsung problem than topping problem. chicken and egg discussion.

i am glad I have this solution with the bluesound node via hdmi.

Shoaibexpert

Tried all different cables, but my Samsung tv The Frame 2020 sound keeps stuttering.
I’ve read on several forums that the jitter from samsung tv optical output signals is very high and not every dac can cope with that. Not only topping d90se.

so the problem seems more a Samsung problem than topping problem. chicken and egg discussion.

i am glad I have this solution with the bluesound node via hdmi.
Youre right! The only option that i felt was there in SMSL (and not Topping, I think) is to increase the DPLL setting thereby allowing for more jitter in a signal to be locked. I have that in my SU-9 but never needed to use it...

Shoaibexpert

About matching with Denafrips DACs with more than 1500+ ohm output impedence, would it work well with the Pre90. I know about the 1:10 rule but Amir mentioned in his review that this would only result in voltage drop and no frequency response change...does that apply with the Denefrips Ares/Pontus combo with Pre90?

Last edited:
Top Bottom