• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE, playing on optical

cnowacki

This HDMI audio extractor worked perfectly for me with a Topping D90SE + PRE90 + EXT90 combo. It seems to be available on Amazon UK but at nearly twice.

As another data point, it also works great with an SMSL SU-9n DAC. When using this HDMI audio extractor, I am able to turn the DPLL setting down to 4 (default is 7). My LG C9 OLED requires the DPLL be turned up to 11 to prevent the sound from cutting out.

OP
D

Dgob

This HDMI audio extractor worked perfectly for me with a Topping D90SE + PRE90 + EXT90 combo. It seems to be available on Amazon UK but at nearly twice.

As another data point, it also works great with an SMSL SU-9n DAC. When using this HDMI audio extractor, I am able to turn the DPLL setting down to 4 (default is 7). My LG C9 OLED requires the DPLL be turned up to 11 to prevent the sound from cutting out.
Many thanks, I have already followed the suggestion of another member and ordered a Kanex HAECOAX de-embedder, which should be with me by the end of next week. I will get back on whether or not this works and will then try your kind suggestion if it doesn't. Fingers crossed!

Abekat

Just got mine (d90se) and its really good! As someone wrote in the review thread og this unit, you should update it to version 1.87 and the optical will work with tvs without dropouts. At least in my Samsung tv :)

OP
D

Dgob

Just to say a huge thank you for the kind help and suggestions, which have led to me now enjoying full access on my D90 SE.The solution was to download the 1.87 Topping update (even though 1.88 fails). I am therefore currently enjoying my set-up, but was wondering if others might be able to assist?

I now use the D90 with a Raspberry Pi4 and Roon with Qobuz for streaming. My endpoint is my Dell XPS15 laptop. I was wondering how people set-up their own Roon's for maximum performance? For example, do you prefer Asio or Alsa; do you prefer lossless or Enhanced, etc?

I was going to start a separate thread, but thought that this might be a suitable place for us to share our set-up approaches and preferences. Of course, if such a thread already exists, I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.

Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom