• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Measurements (DAC)

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but why it have worse crosstalk than other dacs?
Not sure what are you talking about. D90SE? It is not "worse" at all. You should have a better look at the scale:
cs.png

Is small box is not enough to properly separate right and left channels from each other to allow better crosstalk?
I do not see how it is related. There is not any chance that you may hear any difference between -105 and -120dB crosstalk, anyway.;)

nagster

A couple of comments. For people using these dacs as preamps, like me, it is always nice to see the Dynamic range vs vol graph. Is it possible to get it with your setup?
Such graphs are time consuming, so I measured 0dB / -30dB / -60dB in PRE mode.
d90se_PREmode_0dB_DR.png

Attachments

• d90se_PREmode_-30dB_DR.png
    d90se_PREmode_-30dB_DR.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 137
  • d90se_PREmode_-60dB_DR.png
    d90se_PREmode_-60dB_DR.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 141

nagster

I noticed 1 main complaint about it on many subjective reviews.
Narrow soundstage... Amir said its crosstalk is enough, but why does competing sabre dacs like Gustard X26 Pro and Stuff from Matrix guys said to sound wider and measurements also show significantly better crosstalk...
Topping a90 same story, all complaints mainly about it sounding narrow.
Is small box is not enough to properly separate right and left channels from each other to allow better crosstalk?
Both Matrix and Gustard top tier models have bigger boxes.
Attach files
d90se_crosstalk_sweep.png

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome, thank you. I guess I will try 5 now. :)
We are talking about 0.2dB variation at 15Khz. It would be very unlikely that you hear anything different, TBH. ;)
almost sounds like none of the filters really matter.
Kind of. I would just say to "avoid" Mode 1 since this ringing at high frequencies is weird.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It absolutely is. To quote E1DA:
SNR=DR@MONO: 127+/-1db(A) grade-B, STEREO mode has 3db worse SNR/DR.
Wow. It seems to me that the combination of the D90SE and the E1Da makes for a better measurement instrument than the RME ADI-2 PRO fs, at least regarding THD. Impressive.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is cool ... can anyone do this at home? What are you using for measuring performance?

pma

Major Contributor
@VintageFlanker , your E1 DA Cosmos results look excellent! Have you found any issues, like SW instability etc.? I am seriously considering to purchase it.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
VintageFlanker, hey it seems you deserve to get a preproduction E1DA Cosmos APU free sample(the other two samples go to Archimago, and StaticV3 as usual), as a beta tester, if you never mind.
Analog Processing Unit contains Low Noise Amplifier 140nVrms(A) i.e. about 6x times less vs APx555b. You can measure SNR or DR(140db++) of any DAC on the market. Just by the way the LNA section contains 48V phantom power and may work with a condenser mic preamp(Neumann, AKG, Rode etc) as well. Another half of APU is the notch filter 1/10kHz that may see distortions-harmonics as low as -150db and less. Its residual THD+N@1kHz <-130db i.e. at least 2x times lower than APx555b. I think you could be one of the first people who'll measure ES9038Pro based DAC properly. Actually, APx555b isn't able to measure even a cheap CS43131 SNR/DR and will show 123db(A) instead of Cirrus promised -130db(A), APU shows -130.5db(A) :facepalm:

Top Bottom