• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90se 2.6Vrms @0dBFS (5V Mode) output?

Saffy

Hi, ordered Topping D90se, please help with these two questions:

1/ If I select the 2.6Vrms @0dBFS (5V Mode) output, could the 5v harm my 300b amp in any way - over the regular 2.1Vrms @0dBFS (4V Mode). Running RCA.

Also

2/ I want to connect a Subwoofer to my D90SE (both amp and sub have RCA inputs only ), can I use a splitter off the D90se RCA output to drive both my Amp and Subwoofer / – OR, is it not better to separate them using the RCA output to my amp, and XLR output for the Subwoofer using an RCA/ XLR adapter? Is there any difference or advantage between the 2 configurations?

Thank you,

Eddy H.

Hi, ordered Topping D90se, please help with these two questions:

1/ If I select the 2.6Vrms @0dBFS (5V Mode) output, could the 5v harm my 300b amp in any way - over the regular 2.1Vrms @0dBFS (4V Mode). Running RCA.

Also

2/ I want to connect a Subwoofer to my D90SE (both amp and sub have RCA inputs only ), can I use a splitter off the D90se RCA output to drive both my Amp and Subwoofer / – OR, is it not better to separate them using the RCA output to my amp, and XLR output for the Subwoofer using an RCA/ XLR adapter? Is there any difference or advantage between the 2 configurations?

Thank you,
I would use a XLR to RCA adapter to run the subs.

rubin

Would like to second my interest in question nr. 1; I'm also curious about this. I have two Benchmark AHB2's in bridged mono, connected to D90SE with XLR; why would one opt for 5V vs 4V? The AHB2's have a sensitivity switch which has three options, which I think play a part in this:

• Low-Gain = 22 dBu (9.8 Vrms)
• Mid-Gain = 14.2 dBu (4 Vrms)
• High-Gain = 8.2 dBu (2 Vrms)

The manual notes to use Mid-Gain or High-Gain settings for unbalanced (RCA) inputs. So should I use 4V with Low-Gain? or 5V with Low-Gain? What about Mid-Gain?

Much appreciated for some insights here!

Eddy H.

Would like to second my interest in question nr. 1; I'm also curious about this. I have two Benchmark AHB2's in bridged mono, connected to D90SE with XLR; why would one opt for 5V vs 4V? The AHB2's have a sensitivity switch which has three options, which I think play a part in this:

• Low-Gain = 22 dBu (9.8 Vrms)
• Mid-Gain = 14.2 dBu (4 Vrms)
• High-Gain = 8.2 dBu (2 Vrms)

The manual notes to use Mid-Gain or High-Gain settings for unbalanced (RCA) inputs. So should I use 4V with Low-Gain? or 5V with Low-Gain? What about Mid-Gain?

Much appreciated for some insights here!
With the 5v option you will get better s/n ratio. It won't hurt your amps at all, you just won't be able to turn the volume up as far as you can with the lower voltage. I recommend the 5v option. It's what I'm using myself.

OP
Saffy

Saffy

I would use a XLR to RCA adapter to run the subs.
Thanks, I tried the adapters in place of the splitters and it produced a strong hum only WHEN I cut the power to my streamer. Topping tech support as it turns out recommends against XLR adapters. They also claim that splitting the RCA output into two devices does not reduce signal strength to either. I still don't understand why the XLR adapters didn't work well.

lucian.pescaru

I'll answer my own question:

There is also a hidden menu which Topping buried deep into the user manual. To access it turn it Off completely (with the switch on the back), press and hold the select button on the front panel and while you keep pressing it, turn the power switch to On position and an advanced menu will appear.

GarryX

I accidentally used preamp mode to feed into my integrated amp. Getting the amp checked out. The result will tell a lot of whether this would be a problem. D90se has some quality control problems.

On the sub - I’d try and avoid adaptor as much as possible.

Eddy H.

I accidentally used preamp mode to feed into my integrated amp. Getting the amp checked out. The result will tell a lot of whether this would be a problem. D90se has some quality control problems.

That won't hurt anything. You'd just be getting less than the full output in the dac mode. What quality problems are you talking about?

GarryX

That won't hurt anything. You'd just be getting less than the full output in the dac mode. What quality problems are you talking about?
Mine died after 24 hours…….

Eddy H.

Mine died after 24 hours…….
Your dac or the amp?

dfuller

Major Contributor
could the 5v harm my 300b amp in any way
Nope! It'll just distort. Not to worry!

I accidentally used preamp mode to feed into my integrated amp. Getting the amp checked out.
It's fine. It takes a lot of input (like speaker level signals) to actually damage a line level input.

GarryX

Noise and can’t turn on. It’s a great measuring dac but doesn’t sound good imo.

GarryX

All relative. I love these dacs until I fitted my Diablo 300 with its dac module.

GarryX

Yes. 9018. It’s older than 9038. I made a mistake by looking too much at the chip. A good dac is much more than just the chip or measurements.

Streamc

Why 5v mode sound differs from 4V on the same dB level?
It feels more punchy.

Top Bottom