• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 vs SMSL SU-9 vs SMSL M500v2 vs Schiit Modius

Kit Carson

Dear all,
I'm going to buy a DAC.

After many searchesI came to this short list:
  • Topping D90
  • SMSL SU-9
  • SMSL M500v2
  • Shiit Modius.
I have a couple of questions:
I really cannot understand the differences between the two SMSL and the Topping, apart from the obvious ones: processors (I think I will not hear the differences, at least in my set-up) and the M500 having the headphones amplifier.
Am I missing something?
The D90 is much more expensive than the other ones, so I cannot justify this difference with technical features.
Are they all REALLY balanced?

Which one do you suggest to me between the D90, SU-9, M500v2 and Modius?

Thanks for your help!

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Am I missing something?
No, I don't think so.
In this case it's all about features and look in my opinion.
What features do you want?

I really like the M500v2 in black.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a pure DAC the Modius is hard to beat with XLR outputs and such a low price.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Do you want/need MQA? If not then the Modius is a good choice. If you want MQA then the M550v2 offers this with a pretty decent HPA as well. All good DACs, all with different features and aesthetics.

OP
K

Kit Carson

If you are comparing these, I don't think D90 will be the optimal option.
If you just want a dac, balanced dac, Su-9 is pretty good. Modius is cheaper and does the job, not a bad option either.

Thanks!
And what about the Gustard DAC-X16 (compared with the SU-9) ?

OP
K

Kit Carson

Cant go wrong with SU9.
Great value for money.
Thanks, I cannot understand whether SU9 can work in preamplifier mode.
Please, can you help me?
I've read that Topping D90 can work as preamplifier.

Bye!

SloPoke

Forum Donor
Thanks, I cannot understand whether SU9 can work in preamplifier mode.
Please, can you help me?
I've read that Topping D90 can work as preamplifier.

Bye!
Yes, SMSL SU-9 dac has a preamplifier mode. With this mode on, volume is variable and can be controlled via the knob or the remote. With Pre Mode off, volume is fixed...SMSL SU-9 Manual

OP
K

Kit Carson

... thanks, so I'm even more confused!
Which are the differences between SMSL SU-9 and Topping D90?

ArturoKiwi

... thanks, so I'm even more confused!
Which are the differences between SMSL SU-9 and Topping D90?
If I'm not wrong:
SU-9 - > Sabre ES9038 Pro
D90 - > AKM AK4499

ArturoKiwi

Thank you very much!
So not any audible differences?
I'm in the minority, but I think that the audible differences depends on your equipment and yourself.
A musician or sound technician will be more accurate in earing the differences than others

Whodiini

Here's something to consider. I own SMSL, Schiit and Topping DACs. Schiit is in the USA and their support is top notch. I had an issue with one of their pieces after the warranty expired, sent it back to them and they checked it out and returned it for FREE. SMSL does not provide ANY warranty for their equipment. I purchased a M500v1 that had the XMOS bug that wouldnt take any firmware update and would not play higher bit rate PCM. I contacted SMSL and they basically refused to do anything. They stated that even if I sent the unit back to the factory in China they would not repair it. I contacted several other places - there is no factory warranty - their 1 year warranty is bogus. After that, I decided that anything over $100 I would not buy SMSL because if it broke after the 30 day return period of Amazon or other store, one would have to throw it away. Consider SMSL disposable equipment. And since I cannot easily dispose of $400, SMSL is off my purchase list.

NJC

Here's something to consider. I own SMSL, Schiit and Topping DACs. Schiit is in the USA and their support is top notch. I had an issue with one of their pieces after the warranty expired, sent it back to them and they checked it out and returned it for FREE. SMSL does not provide ANY warranty for their equipment. I purchased a M500v1 that had the XMOS bug that wouldnt take any firmware update and would not play higher bit rate PCM. I contacted SMSL and they basically refused to do anything. They stated that even if I sent the unit back to the factory in China they would not repair it. I contacted several other places - there is no factory warranty - their 1 year warranty is bogus. After that, I decided that anything over $100 I would not buy SMSL because if it broke after the 30 day return period of Amazon or other store, one would have to throw it away. Consider SMSL disposable equipment. And since I cannot easily dispose of $400, SMSL is off my purchase list.
Probably my biggest reason against buying more expensive dacs from those companies as well. In addition, the life of speakers, amps and disc players far exceeds those of dacs. Still, $300 to $500 is doable even if warranty stinks if a unit that functions well continues to functions over the long term. For a dac that's 3 to 5 years, IMO. Try selling it after that, probably near worthless.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
In the UK you're protected by law, and the initial protection comes from the retailer.

If I buy a DAC from Amazon UK, and it develops a fault in the first 6 months, the retailer must give you a full refund if an attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful.

Most electrical devices which are faulty re either faulty as soon as you try to switch it on, or develop the fault very quickly.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor

Amazon will accept returns longer than 30 days if it is something like this.

5mall5nail5

I hate to resurrect an old post... but I will.

I picked up an SMSL SU-9n and an SMSL SH-9 to pair with my Hifiman Arya's. Been listening to that for a bit and sure, the display can tell me when it's receiving HD audio and what rate, etc. and that's nice. Then I found a second hand Schiit Modius for $100 and bought it. I notice literally no discernible difference. I don't have an A/B switch but swapping the XLRs from SU-9n to Modius I've got 10 secs of forget time and when it comes back in.... no difference to me.

I have until 6/21 to return the SU-9n and I am leaning toward it - $423 with tax vs. $100. What am I missing? Where will I regret? Neither have MQA (good!), but SU-9n supports DSD which I have nothing recorded in.

Top Bottom