• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping d90 mod advice or Benchmark dac3

Earthbound

Hey guys. I currently use the Topping d90 or a modded Cambridge cxn with tubes as my dac. I purchased the dac due to this site when I rebuilt my system. As the system evolved, I thought about upgrading the dac and have done a ton of research for options, one being the Benchmark dac3. I came across a forum member who has done the Holo May, Musetec and other dacs and went back to the Topping. He ended up modding the Topping with Black Gates, POSCAPs, and Nichicon Muse MKZ. He seems to think it improved some of the sound qualities of the dac. Just wondering what people here’s impressions of those mods might be. If it would improve the overall sound, where would I go to have something like that done? Or just stick with the Topping as is or go with Benchmark? I’m getting closer to a decision finally! Lol

levimax

Major Contributor
The Topping DAC performs so well the odds of you changing anything and making an improvement are close to zero and it is quite likely performance will suffer. People hear all sorts of things especially when they do their own mods but that does not mean it is true. Search under "expectation bias" on this site to learn more. The Topping and the Benchmark DAC's are both "transparent" meaning they perform better than human hearing so I would say just stick with the Topping. If you want to spend money that will make a difference speakers are where you can make a real difference in sound quality. Enjoy.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Everything makes a difference", at least until you start applying scientific rigor to your component comparisons :p I used to be a big capacitor believer, and yes they can make a difference if misapplied (e.g., X7R ceramic capacitors may be the wrong choice for audio frequency applications). But I'm pretty sure your D90 is already optimized, and will sound exactly like a DAC3 or any other decently designed DAC.

OP
E

Earthbound

Thanks for your reply levimax. I know the Benchmark has some proprietary anti jitter built in. Not sure if the Topping has this ability. Not sure how jitter free my streamer or other streamers for that matter are.

OP
E

Earthbound

"Everything makes a difference", at least until you start applying scientific rigor to your component comparisons :p I used to be a big capacitor believer, and yes they can make a difference if misapplied (e.g., X7R ceramic capacitors may be the wrong choice for audio frequency applications). But I'm pretty sure your D90 is already optimized, and will sound exactly like a DAC3 or any other decently designed DAC.
why do people go gaga over the Mola Mola then if the Topping measures so well?

levimax

Major Contributor
Thanks for your reply levimax. I know the Benchmark has some proprietary anti jitter built in. Not sure if the Topping has this ability. Not sure how jitter free my streamer or other streamers for that matter are.
Jitter for either DAC is orders of magnitude lower than you can hear.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why do people go gaga over the Mola Mola then if the Topping measures so well?
Well-regarded designer creates a lavish, far-better-than-necessary product for well-heeled perfectionists. D90 is for perfectionists who don't wish to spend so much for a DAC.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a room full of DACs including the D90 original. You won't do better than it, the Liquid Platinum, D30Pro, E50, SU-8s all sound the same using a similar filter. Only the AK4499 has some treble rolloff on the slow filter you can actually notice some of the time on certain headphones. Just get the Topping E50 and save a ton of money if the connectivity works for you.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
besides a few intangible things- benchmark 2 and 3 both had/have some functions that I found useful in a recording environment only, so they cost more... for value and quality I'm liking the newest topping D90xx or smsl DO300 for two family members that have asked me to recommend devices for them...

Top Bottom