• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

p370

Hello, maybe somebody can give me an advice. I have the Topping D90 already for a while, but had it connected trough USB to Nvidia Shield or a PC or by Bluetooth to an older phone (no LDAC). I decided to permanently connect the PC by USB and Nvidia Shiled to use Bluetooth (it has LDAC) support. I ended up with volume control on the Shiled working only in first 3 steps and then it is on max till the top and noise in speakers whenever there is any signal transmitted (even just "silence"). Same when I connect my new Galaxy S21 (LDAC), but there basically the volume control doesn't work at all (just no sound or max sound from first non-zero step). I have firmware V1.24. Don't have any issue with USB connections (except the sound level from Nvidia Shield being low, but that is a know Android issue, PC is perfect). Anybody has the same issue?

Penflex

At ten feet the D90 only responds when I point the remote accurately. So it is not very responsive indeed. After 1 year I am kind of used to it....
I had the same issue. I use the Harmony hub to control my equipment. I ran one of the mini blasters near the d90 in order to solve the problem.

Dclone

Received the D90 today and so far very impressed with the results.

However I have a problem with the remote and wondered if anybody else has encountered the same?

The remote control only works at a distance of 3 or 4 feet. My sitting position is about 8ft away from the D90, and from this distance the remote will not work. I am using brand new batteries so this cannot be the problem.

I have emailed Topping but their office is closed till 19th February.

Odd! Mine works perfekt from 5-6 meters. But, I bought the small one in aluminium (originally for use with my DX7/s.) It has the same functions as the plastic one that came with D90. Have not tried the plastic Remote on D90 but it works perfect from 3 meters on DX7/s. Have You tried it with a new battery?

gryffe

Odd! Mine works perfekt from 5-6 meters. But, I bought the small one in aluminium (originally for use with my DX7/s.) It has the same functions as the plastic one that came with D90. Have not tried the plastic Remote on D90 but it works perfect from 3 meters on DX7/s. Have You tried it with a new battery?
Yes, new batteries as stated in my post;)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Mine is the plastic one and the angle of operation is quite narrow, but it seems to work fine if I point it exactly to D90's remote sensor (at the right side of the front LCD screen).

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no issue with the original (plastic) remote at 5-6m.
I'm beaming of course straight towards the dac as it's located in between my speakers.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
D

Deleted member 3116

Why does main 1Khz THD+N graph show distortion down to 4 zeros but THD+N vs frequency graph doesnt come close that?
Seems to be same pattern in other reviews, but not as extreme.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Due to the 90 kHz bandwidth used by Amir for this sort of measurements. If you want to compare how D90 measures @90 kHz vs. 20 kHz bandwidth, then feel free to check Wolf's measurements:

index.php

Chez

Anybody using the D90 for monitoring DAW within a Windows 10 pro environment? I was leaning toward the RME ADI-2 DAC FS or the ADI-2 pro FS R, but the D90 has some attractive features like the AK4499, numerous input options & pricing.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
As good as the D90 is, there is a reason why it costs less than the RMEs.
* It's "just" a DAC - no headphone amplifier, no DSP functionality (half the draw with these RMEs), and definitely no ADC of equal caliber like the ADI-2 Pro has.
* There is exactly one choice of output level, a fixed ~+14 dBu @ 0 dBFS. ADI-2 DAC supports +1/+7/+13/+19 dBu, ADI-2 Pro +4/+13/+19/+24 dBu.
* SPDIF (and AES/EBU) in exhibits more jitter precisely because of the AK4499 and a lack of a sophisticated PLL like in the RMEs, although the problem is just measurable rather than audible. (ESS chips with their built-in ASRC tend to fare better in this regard. They'll hard-cap at 0 dBFS but that's not a concern in a studio anyway.)

While the D90 seems to operate well at low latency, I did not find anything about it being syncable to external clock sources... this may require playing back SPDIF / AES/EBU input. The RMEs can be synced to SPDIF even on USB. It's obvious who is and who isn't the pro audio manufacturer here. RME also provides extensive documentation; in fact, RTFM is virtually a must.

I'd say you'll generally know which one of the bunch you want.

If (!) you can make it work, I imagine the D90 would work well for you.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
* There is exactly one choice of output level, a fixed ~+14 dBu @ 0 dBFS. ADI-2 DAC supports +1/+7/+13/+19 dBu, ADI-2 Pro +4/+13/+19/+24 dBu.
Well, D90 has volume control for both XLR & RCA outputs with +/-1 dB adjustable level, so I would consider this a highlight, not a lowlight.

However, RME ADI-2 DAC FS is cheaper than D90 + A90. Unless someone wants to use a previously purchased headamp and wants to save some money this way, then any DAC with ASIO can do fine for DAW monitoring, even a cheap Behringer or Focusrite. However, the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is cheaper than D90 + A90 and if someone really wants a great combo DAC/ADC then ADI-2 pro FS is one of the best in class here.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, D90 has volume control for both XLR & RCA outputs with +/-1 dB adjustable level, so I would consider this a highlight, not a lowlight.
The output level means the reference level here. RME has multiple analog output gains in addition to digital volume control, so RME preserves SNR better at lower volumes. D90 has only the digital volume control.

Chez

My main concern is if ASIO drivers were available for the D90, for functional compatibility with the DAW. The output levels aren't much of a concern as active monitors have some gain compensation built in. I'm not looking to output to another device. One other plus for the D90 is it has an AES/EBU input. The ADI-1 DAC FS does not, so another $ would need to be spent for the ADI-2 pro fs r. So if the DAW doesn't like the USB connection route, an AES/EBU PCIe card would assure a pure form of signal from DAW/PC to the D90, at another expense of course. I've seen discussions where the USB signal can be unreliable, however there must be tons of ADI-pro FS R users out there using USB 2. Latency also does not become an issue when monitoring previously recorded tracks. Lots of tradeoffs

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
My main concern is if ASIO drivers were available for the D90, for functional compatibility with the DAW.
There are ASIO drivers, of course. What exact software you want to use? What audio interface are you using now?

Naturlig

In some parts of the world it is not possible to buy a D90 any more. And the production of AK DAC chips stopped because of the factory fire.
Will there be a new version D90s? D100? Topping should perhaps inform about their plans in the near future. Sure the D70s is available here, but no D90 any more.

Chez

There are ASIO drivers, of course. What exact software you want to use? What audio interface are you using now?
For software I'd like to stick to Cakewalk from Bandlab, but also have Presonus Studio One. For interfaces I currently have a UAD Apollo Twin USB.

Chez

I previously tried using my PC's optical output to a DAC within the DAW but no go

Schönramer

Hello, I am new here and like to get some advice. Currently I have an Audionet SAM G2 amplifier connected via XLR on a Pioneer BDP-LX88. I mostly hear SACD on Dynaudio Special 40 speakers. My listening room is small but has some acoustic diffusers and absorbers to optimize the sound.
Now I want to stream music via Tidal MQA. After some reading here I think it is better to spend money in a Topping D90 with a streaming bridge instead of spending lots of money for a Lumin or Linn streamer.
I would like to have some advice for a good quality streaming bridge with a good APP that can provide Tidal MQA and give it without loss of data to the Topping D90. So far I came across Bluesound Node 2i and Auralic Aries mini. But I would appreciate advice for a better deal that helps to provide nice streaming sound.
thanks in advance for any hint!
PS: Maybe the question is not new but I did not find in the first couple of pages of this tread and I cannot read all 147 pages :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello, I am new here and like to get some advice. Currently I have an Audionet SAM G2 amplifier connected via XLR on a Pioneer BDP-LX88. I mostly hear SACD on Dynaudio Special 40 speakers. My listening room is small but has some acoustic diffusers and absorbers to optimize the sound.
Now I want to stream music via Tidal MQA. After some reading here I think it is better to spend money in a Topping D90 with a streaming bridge instead of spending lots of money for a Lumin or Linn streamer.
D90 only accepts MQA over USB. An "easier" set-up would be Gustard X16 with coax connection to something like a Bluesound. Read the Gustard X16 thread for some user experiences doing just that.

Top Bottom