• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Having the D90 at the heart of my attic home office system is impressive. This system never sounded so good...

Now playing Cannonball’s Bossa Nova.

74ED83BA-2649-4F9C-AA1B-6814A9B7B304.jpeg

calvin tea

MQA .... this is a little off track but could actually affect the D90 MQA.... so for the last week or so there has been quite a bit of tuning the newly released fiio DAPs ... mainly the M11 M11Pro and M15, all using the AKM DAC chips and all having the MQA option... while watching fiio and UAPP both working out kinks to the MQA unfolding it seems UAPP has tuned their playback software quite well and I have demonstrated a full X8 unfold of MQA files via TIDAL Streaming... that with the fiio M11Pro... it sounds fantastic and is very noticeable as to the sound quality of a fully unfolded MQA file.... fiio themselves released two patches, FW 0604 and FW 0610 and their efforts resulted in x4 unfolding of the MQA and claim that TIDAL for some reason is converting MQA files down to 16 bit... and fiio claims they have alerted TIDAL of the issue and asking TIDAL for a fix...

So how does this relate to the D90 MQA ??? Not sure yet, it may or may not matter... just letting everyone know there are some players having issues with the TIDAL MQA... again... the playback software UAPP seems to have it fixed and it sounds great... I'm keeping my D90MQA

I have the fiio m11 with fw0604, a lot bugs. original fiio app unstable when switching songs from mqa to any others files format included dsd. but poweramp paid version so far playing well.

Just update my d90 mqa to fw1.23 but still no idea the stability, yet fully test out.

fendy323

Hello, im new on this audio world,
i've plan to build my endgame rig,
i buy sennheisher hd 800s and still confused to choose the dac/amp, and someone suggest me to buy topping A90 with D90 for combination, is it a perfect setup for my hd 800s ?
and from comment below i notice that topping plan to launch P90, should i wait ? and if p90 already launch, which combination should i buy ?
Stick to D90+A90?
P90+D90?
P90+A90?
Or buy three of them?

Shoaibexpert

Posted this elsewhere as well, hoping will get more eyes here:

The SMSL M500 doesn't have the 'Accusilicon' oscillator chips but the Topping D90/DX7Pro has (Don't know what the M500 has though in their place). After the M500 V2, they are almost equally well measuring devices. I've also read that these Accusilicon chips are rather expensive. Could it be possible that Topping is putting in unnecessary expensive components that make no difference in sound or do these chips actually make a difference? If yes, to what measurement should we see an improvement...coz the jitter is anyways almost worth ignoring on both the DACs...Does anything else in the Topping D90 justify it's more than twice the price...maybe in other HW components? Thanks

VeerK

i buy sennheisher hd 800s and still confused to choose the dac/amp, and someone suggest me to buy topping A90 with D90 for combination, is it a perfect setup for my hd 800s ?
and from comment below i notice that topping plan to launch P90, should i wait ? and if p90 already launch, which combination should i buy ?
Stick to D90+A90?
P90+D90?
P90+A90?
Or buy three of them?

If you’re building an endgame headphone rig, D90 + A90 is a great choice if you want a matching stack that is audibly transparent, powerful, and excellent R&D. The D90 uses the newest AKM 4499 so no ESS hump, and the A90 is basically straight wire with lots of gain. Another advantage of the A90 is its low noise floor for IEMs, basically a black background.

The Pre90 is a preamp, unless you have other XLR devices on your desk like active speakers, you don’t need it.

The D90 + A90 is my current endgame stack, but you have other options from Topping, SMSL, RME, and Soncoz that might be cheaper in price with the same level of transparency. Read the other measurements here, identify if you need balanced XLR, set a budget, and buy what looks best to you.

fendy323

If you’re building an endgame headphone rig, D90 + A90 is a great choice if you want a matching stack that is audibly transparent, powerful, and excellent R&D. The D90 uses the newest AKM 4499 so no ESS hump, and the A90 is basically straight wire with lots of gain. Another advantage of the A90 is its low noise floor for IEMs, basically a black background.

The Pre90 is a preamp, unless you have other XLR devices on your desk like active speakers, you don’t need it.

The D90 + A90 is my current endgame stack, but you have other options from Topping, SMSL, RME, and Soncoz that might be cheaper in price with the same level of transparency. Read the other measurements here, identify if you need balanced XLR, set a budget, and buy what looks best to you.
cooll, so have or no pre90 is not affect my hd800s at all?

sorry out of topic, someone said drive hd800s using chord hugo 2,
for price hugo 2 maybe more more expensive, but how about the sound quality? is it better than D90+A90 combinantion?

another question,
if i have logitech z623, can i plug it to a90/d90 ? or i must buy pre90?
and can i plug headset and speaker at the same time? if possible, how can i choose for using headset or speaker?

ReaderZ

Posted this elsewhere as well, hoping will get more eyes here:

The SMSL M500 doesn't have the 'Accusilicon' oscillator chips but the Topping D90/DX7Pro has (Don't know what the M500 has though in their place). After the M500 V2, they are almost equally well measuring devices. I've also read that these Accusilicon chips are rather expensive. Could it be possible that Topping is putting in unnecessary expensive components that make no difference in sound or do these chips actually make a difference? If yes, to what measurement should we see an improvement...coz the jitter is anyways almost worth ignoring on both the DACs...Does anything else in the Topping D90 justify it's more than twice the price...maybe in other HW components? Thanks

These may not make a difference on test bench but in real world where the input signal can be worse, and they may make a difference. Plus I think other higher quality components like nichicon caps used in DX7pro/D90 are not found in M500 either. DX7pro/D90 also having much less issue with hardware and software, so they didn't need a V2 in the first place.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Stick to D90+A90?
P90+D90?
P90+A90?
Or buy three of them?
I'm very happy with both my A90 and D90 MQA. They are extremely transparent and you will hear everything that's in the recording. However, I'm not using them together at this time. I use a Schiit Modius as a DAC with my A90. They work very well together. If you don't need all the extra features the D90 offers, it might be worth considering the Shiit Modius instead. It won't be a perfect match, but in black the Modius looks good with the A90 IMO. My Sundara's never sounded so good...

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
And below how the black A90 and D90 MQA look stacked:

IMG_0936.jpg

Shoaibexpert

These may not make a difference on test bench but in real world where the input signal can be worse, and they may make a difference. Plus I think other higher quality components like nichicon caps used in DX7pro/D90 are not found in M500 either. DX7pro/D90 also having much less issue with hardware and software, so they didn't need a V2 in the first place.
How certain are you that these improved components won't show up in measurements...this whole website kinda exists coz they should!

Also, what perceivable subjective improvements in your experience would you think the expensive caps and the Accusilicon chips may have? I'm asking to assess whether the upgrade from SMSL M500 V2 to the D90 is worth the extra ching ching...

Cut-Throat

How certain are you that these improved components won't show up in measurements...this whole website kinda exists coz they should!

Also, what perceivable subjective improvements in your experience would you think the expensive caps and the Accusilicon chips may have? I'm asking to assess whether the upgrade from SMSL M500 V2 to the D90 is worth the extra ching ching...
What I would do, if I were you. And what I actually did do; Is order the D90 from https://apos.audio/ .... they have a 30 day return policy, so if you decide it's not for you, send it back.... I'm keeping mine!!

Shoaibexpert

What I would do, if I were you. And what I actually did do; Is order the D90 from https://apos.audio/ .... they have a 30 day return policy, so if you decide it's not for you, send it back.... I'm keeping mine!!
Good for you. I am not in US so don't know if that's possible with vendors... anyways good luck and happy listening...

Shoaibexpert

I'm very happy with both my A90 and D90 MQA. They are extremely transparent and you will hear everything that's in the recording. However, I'm not using them together at this time. I use a Schiit Modius as a DAC with my A90. They work very well together. If you don't need all the extra features the D90 offers, it might be worth considering the Shiit Modius instead. It won't be a perfect match, but in black the Modius looks good with the A90 IMO. My Sundara's never sounded so good...

View attachment 70953

View attachment 70954
That's a really solid looking cable there...both power cable as well as headphone cable... which one are they? Not to mention the stack looks great!

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
That's a really solid looking cable there...both power cable as well as headphone cable... which one are they? Not to mention the stack looks great!
Thank you! :)
Cables are time consuming to assemble, I think they are still worth DIYing (I used to DIY most of my audio gear 15 years ago). Here are the ingredients for the cables you see in the picture (nothing too fancy):
Power - Supra LoRad terminated with Rhodium plated copper connectors (multiple brands make them) - I’ve been buying these terminated lately.
XLR - Van Damme microphone cable (not star quad, but I do use them in my speaker system) Terminated with Neutrik gold plated 3 pin XLR
Balanced headphone cable (used with Sundara) - Canare L-2E5 (miniature microphone cable - one per channel) terminated with Neutrik gold plated 4 pin XLR and Rean 3.5 mm TRS (stereo connectors).
Solder is from Cardas.

wannarock2

Question (?) for those fortunate ones which have purchased the Topping D90.
Have any of you had a chance to test the musical differences (that you may perceive) from plugging the D90 directly into your amplifier (and using the D90 volume control) and then alternatively running the D90 into a pre-amplifier and then into your amp? Soundstage, bass extension general euphonic differences, if any. Thanks in advance.

fendy323

View attachment 70953

View attachment 70954
wooah cool picture :eek:
if the price on the same level, which one the best combination for you?
A90/D90
A90/mobius?

anyway if i buy a90/d90 ,should i buy another hifi cables or anything?
or i just plug all the cable from a90/d90 and plug my headset on it ?
i want use on my pc and ipad/iphone maybe? is it possible?

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
wooah cool picture :eek:
if the price on the same level, which one the best combination for you?
A90/D90
A90/mobius?

anyway if i buy a90/d90 ,should i buy another hifi cables or anything?
or i just plug all the cable from a90/d90 and plug my headset on it ?k
i want use on my pc and ipad/iphone maybe? is it possible?
The Modius is less expensive at $200, D90 varies between $700 and $800 (MQA).
The only cable you’ll need to buy is a stereo pair of XLR to connect the balanced analog out from either DAC to the A90 balanced input. If you’re connecting to an Apple iOS device via USB, you’ll need an Apple USB 3.0 Camera Adapter. With the D90 you can also use its Bluetooth input (I have mine disabled).
If I wasn’t a curious and compulsive audiophile, and I could only buy one stack, I’d go for the A90/D90 combo.And that’s mainly because the D90 has a higher end chip, does DSD, can upsample to a much higher rate and will give you a higher SINAD at 120dB which is insane (“instrument grade”).
I’ve compared both D90 and Modius subjectively. Paired with my A90 driving my headphones and couldn’t tell the difference. On my main speaker system, I found the D90 MQA to have a slight edge in transparency over the Modius and that’s were it is living right now.

Edit: Lately I've been listening to the D90 MQA paired with the A90 driving my headphones and I also give the edge to the D90 MQA in that configuration. Compared to the D90, the Modius sounds more rounded, less detailed and lacking punch. Not a dramatic difference but particularly noticeable listening to pop-rap such as Black Eyed Peas. My recommendation would be to go with the D90 if money is no object.

Last edited:
Top Bottom