• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

DavidBloch406

It's musician's job to create musicality, not DAC's. DAC's job is to honestly recreate what's already there.
I don’t disagree... though we might say “accur
Precisely. The job of a DAC is to reproduce the incoming digital signal as accurately as possible in the analogue domain. No more, no less, except possibly to adjust the volume.

Infallible mathematics enable us to determine how well that objective is being met. Unless you can demonstrate those mathematics to be incorrect or inappropriate, the argument rapidly becomes too boring to be of concern.
I accept those argument - and I’ve been persuaded by this site to buy better gear at cheaper prices. I mean it. But I have a question: why are we discussing a D90 at $699 when it has no audible sonic advantages over an E30 at $129? That’s an awful lot of dollars to spent on “extra” filters + sockets.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don’t disagree... though we might say “accur

I accept those argument - and I’ve been persuaded by this site to buy better gear at cheaper prices. I mean it. But I have a question: why are we discussing a D90 at $699 when it has no audible sonic advantages over an E30 at $129? That’s an awful lot of dollars to spent on “extra” filters + sockets.

Features, build quality, connections...all kinds of valid reasons...none of which have to do with sound quality. People confuse 'sounding the same' to 'no difference between DAC's.' There are vast differences between them in every metric but sound. If there's an audible difference, something is probably broken.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
why are we discussing a D90 at $699 when it has no audible sonic advantages over an E30 at $129?
It has balanced outputs (vital for me), a display, a knob (OK, buttons). Funnily enough, I'm just about to test an E30 I've bought for my neighbour so we'll see how it compares.

PLUS... I hope that Topping makes more money on the expensive unit. That, in turn, will encourage them to develop more devices at low prices in the knowledge that they can also sell higher-priced stuff to whose who want additional facilities and ‘premium’ product. I would far rather pay Topping $700 for their premium product than $7k to some others for theirs when the two are, in reality, little different.

DavidBloch406

Features, build quality, connections...all kinds of valid reasons...none of which have to do with sound quality. People confuse 'sounding the same' to 'no difference between DAC's.' There are vast differences between them in every metric but sound. If there's an audible difference, something is probably broken.
As I say, $570 is a lot to pay for connections etc, but each to their own

DavidBloch406

It has balanced outputs (vital for me), a display, a knob (OK, buttons). Funnily enough, I'm just about to test an E30 I've bought for my neighbour so we'll see how it compares.

PLUS... I hope that Topping makes more money on the expensive unit. That, in turn, will encourage them to develop more devices at low prices in the knowledge that they can also sell higher-priced stuff to whose who want additional facilities and ‘premium’ product. I would far rather pay Topping $700 for their premium product than $7k to some others for theirs when the two are, in reality, little different.
It’s funny, though, isn’t it? We justify paying an extra $570 for encouragement, when we know objectively there’s no sound difference; but we criticise others for paying extra for something THEY like and believe DOES improve their musical enjoyment. There’s an inconsistency there that’s measurable in two ways: SINAD and Dollars

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As I say, $570 is a lot to pay for connections etc, but each to their own

No argument from me... When I stumbled across this site it opened my eyes (and closed my wallet) to a whole lot of nothingburgers out there. Give me competence...I'll take it from there thanks.

Cut-Throat

It’s funny, though, isn’t it? We justify paying an extra $570 for encouragement, when we know objectively there’s no sound difference; but we criticise others for paying extra for something THEY like and believe DOES improve their musical enjoyment. There’s an inconsistency there that’s measurable in two ways: SINAD and Dollars

I would only criticize those that spend a lot more and up with a lot less, in terms of sound quality. Especially those that equate cost with sound quality.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

i don’t believe we criticize others. I think we question why others spend (waste) hundreds or thousands of dollars on clearly poorly designed components. Sure you can question why someone would spend $570 more for a prettier box (IMO), a few more connections and features. We question why someone spends $1570 more for something that obviously colors the sound (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-the-ps-audio-stellar-gain-cell-dac.9273/). Now if their choosing to do so for more features or because they like the look that’s one thing. But if they claim it sounds better then we have issues. (Then again maybe they like distortion and spurious tones.) We like to hear the recording as it was intended to be heard.

Martin

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
But maybe they do not sound the same.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
But maybe they do not sound the same.

Especially to wives in kitchens. As we all know, that is the only absolute measure that counts. Once 'even the wife in the kitchen could hear the obvious improvement' is brought out...no argument is possible.

Otherwise, further exploration will reveal why...every time...so far.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Especially to wives in kitchens. As we all know, that is the only absolute measure that counts. Once 'even the wife in the kitchen could hear the obvious improvement' is brought out...no argument is possible.

Otherwise, further exploration will reveal why...every time...so far.
Are you trying to say women belong in the kitchen. :(

VeerK

No, I think BDWoody is mocking all the “audiophile” reviewers who like to punctuate their “night and day” difference claims by saying even their wives in the kitchen could hear the difference. It’s part of the old guards tendency towards subtle misogyny. This is ASR, I doubt anyone hear believes in that kind of nonsense

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I think BDWoody is mocking all the “audiophile” reviewers who like to punctuate their “night and day” difference claims by saying even their wives in the kitchen could hear the difference. It’s part of the old guards tendency towards subtle misogyny. This is ASR, I doubt anyone hear believes in that kind of nonsense

I know he is mocking them. However, there is a danger that the golden eared reviewer's wife is apocryphal. I have read similar claims on forums, I'm not sure I have read that in a professional review. Straw (wo)men are frowned on in these parts . We need to be careful we don't create our own.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

If I was trying to say that, it would have been clear. No tortured, out of context misinterpretations would be necessary.

Rigel

Despite having spent most of my working life surrounded by audio equipment, I still do not understand exactly what the term “musicality” is supposed to mean.

I've always taken it to be a cop out to excuse kit that performs poorly but “I like it anyway”.

Totally agree.

Something similar I think about the term "analog" sound (¿more musicality?) As something really positive that DACs don't have.
Currently with the quality of current DACs, I think those terms are not applicable from an objective or physical point of view or as we want to call it as a criticism.
It is clear that everyone has their tastes and can listen to the music as they please and that I think is not debatable, but I prefer to listen to a good DAC like the D90, to a vinyl record or a cassette tape. I really enjoyed them because there was nothing else.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Night and day differences may depend on what time one listens.

Top Bottom