• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Yanibm1

The SINAD covers that already. Good SINAD will certainly give good sine wave at -90db.
The measurement of -90dB was just another comprehensive test for someone who doesn't want to believe SINAD or doesn't know what it means.

Thanks. SINAD wasn't covered in that particular review so I do not have a reference point there. Just that the two DACS had overlapping performance but one had a much smoother low-level sine wave when compared.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks. SINAD wasn't covered in that particular review so I do not have a reference point there. Just that the two DACS had overlapping performance but one had a much smoother low-level sine wave when compared.
Which one?

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Or you can just use the "Line Out Mode" on the remote.

No, it does not work:

1581676076783.png

Attachments

• 1581676034292.png
    1581676034292.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 114

Yanibm1

The SINAD covers that already. Good SINAD will certainly give good sine wave at -90db.
The measurement of -90dB was just another comprehensive test for someone who doesn't want to believe SINAD or doesn't know what it means.

go
Which one?

I was checking out by he following review because the Sabre 9018 was my first DAC I bought a few years ago and I am trying to compare the measurements to some much higher quality DACs I have my eyes on:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-review-of-hifime-sabre-9018-usb-dac.2146/

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
go

I was checking out by he following review because the Sabre 9018 was my first DAC I bought a few years ago and I am trying to compare the measurements to some much higher quality DACs I have my eyes on:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-review-of-hifime-sabre-9018-usb-dac.2146/
Oh those are the old measurements. I thought it was some PS audio's measurements.

You can compare the distortion harmonics to the new dashboard picture. Other than that there isn't much to easily compare.

Yanibm1

Oh those are the old measurements. I thought it was some PS audio's measurements.

You can compare the distortion harmonics to the new dashboard picture. Other than that there isn't much to easily compare.

That’s what threw me off because the distortion harmonics appear to be limited to ~ -110 to -120db, based on the graph, but then the -90db sine wave looks hideous. That’s why I thought the low-level wave was insightful but I could very well be misinterpreting the data as I have much to learn.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That’s what threw me off because the distortion harmonics appear to be limited to ~ -110 to -120db, based on the graph, but then the -90db sine wave looks hideous. That’s why I thought the low-level wave was insightful but I could very well be misinterpreting the data as I have much to learn.
What you see in the -90db sine wave is noise, which is included in the SINAD number. There's also SNR/DNR measurements as well as imd vs level that you can calculate the noise from. In the old measurements, it's not that easy to do. What you should be getting is good SINAD or SNR number and that indicates the -90db sine is going to be clean. Another thing that you could see from the old measurement is the " noise floor". The "noise floor" is dependent to the FFT size as well as how much the average is used. But in the same test condition, like all the old tests, you could compare between the measurements. Higher noise floor is corresponding to worse -90db sine wave. Gotta read more new measurements and get some intuition of the graphs.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Probably because they can, who knows...:)
But this was since ages, so you can't stop them from doing compares, it's probably in human's nature to compare a Renault Clio with a Lamborgini.

My Renault Clio works wonderfully, and I have once passed a Lamborghini on the highway at about 200Kph. True story. After the Lamborghini disappeared from my rear mirror, I heard a roaring noise, and the Lamborghini passed me at least 100kph faster than I was driving. Oh well, the joy of the German Autobahn.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Of course if you don’t use any analog source all these DACs are great but it’s a shame to have to connect them to a conventional analog preamp if you need a turntable.

How is the state of phono preamp-to-usb (basically a RIAA stage + ADC or ADC + DSP)?

Angstrom

I spent the day with it evaluating D90 on the SPL Phonitor x and Tom's TCA HPA-1 with the following headphones. Audeze LCD-4, Rosson Audio RAD-0, and Hifiman Ananda. D90 used XLR inputs on Phonitor x and HPA-1, but did try the RCA on Phonitor x as well. It is a very nice DAC, AKM step up on this chip, Topping did a nice job on analog component selection.

@AndrewDavis the dimensions are 8 5/8" x 6 3/16" x 1 5/8" off the surface.

AndrewDavis

I spent the day with it evaluating D90 on the SPL Phonitor x and Tom's TCA HPA-1 with the following headphones. Audeze LCD-4, Rosson Audio RAD-0, and Hifiman Ananda. D90 used XLR inputs on Phonitor x and HPA-1, but did try the RCA on Phonitor x as well. It is a very nice DAC, AKM step up on this chip, Topping did a nice job on analog component selection.

@AndrewDavis the dimensions are 8 5/8" x 6 3/16" x 1 5/8" off the surface.

It's funny you say that, because I bought a D90 right after I asked for the measurements, and I use it to run a Phonitor e. It sounds great! Sounds like I'd like the HPA-1 also!

Cut-Throat

Was going to go for the D70, but the D90 is now my Choice. I especially like the Smaller Size of the D90 over the D70.

KingFiercer

Subjective opinion. I found the D90 to be more dynamic in the low frequencies and better imaging, but the D70 has a bit more exciting midrange, touching vocals. I listened both DACs with AT-HA22TUBE and Sennheiser HD660S. For now I prefer D70, but I will still compare for a final decision.
-xLy91Z-POY.jpg

By the way, my unit has 2x speed issue with 44.1kHz, it needs to be fixed. But I think this does not affect other modes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom