• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If you double the voltage it's +6db in voltage.
If you double the power it's +3db in voltage.

Crazy_Nate

Got to listen to a D90 + massdrop 789 combo today. Only spent maybe an hour listening with some HD800s headphones. I was very impressed with the combination. I couldn't hear any noise and I think the combo allowed me to hear the headphones as they are. Of all of the characteristics I noticed while listening, I think I appreciated the finesse with the bass the most. HD800s aren't particularly known for bass, but the bass was very good ( a little warm, but very defined/fast and a bit punchy). Mid-range was great and the treble is good, but perhaps a little bright with the amount of detail that the HD800s present (for me for rock / metal the certain cymbals are fatiguing on these headphones to me at high volume, perhaps not quite as fatiguing at lower volume).

Definitely worth a listen!

Rigel

Just checking back to say the Bluetooth connection on my unit is flawless, no dropouts or perceptible lag. I will say though, I’m a bit annoyed with the flakiness of the IR remote, sometimes it won’t register inputs even though I’m holding it up close.
Hi Veerk
In my case I do not appreciate problems. The distance at which the D90 receives is about 6 meters, I can try from further away if you want.
With the camera of a Smartphone, you can get an idea of the infrared LED lighting and compare it with another.

Marutks

Does D90 sound different than DX7 Pro when they are used with THX 887 ?

BenF

Forum Donor
I might buy D90 in future.

Which headphones amp you guys recommend? Not too expensive, but of good quality (like Atom amp, but it has no balanced in/out, so no).
The Archel 2.5 Pro is audibly endgame. No need for THX[something]...

Ntrax

Audio Company
I might buy D90 in future.

Which headphones amp you guys recommend? Not too expensive, but of good quality (like Atom amp, but it has no balanced in/out, so no).
Go for the most transparent. If budget, go for SP200 you cannot get better than that with the price. If you plan to use it with IEM..skipped...

Ntrax

Audio Company
Does D90 sound different than DX7 Pro when they are used with THX 887 ?
1. No point going for DX7 Pro..if you want to pair with 887, 2. D90 is almost the same price with DX7 Pro with the 10% off from AliExpress with code "SOUNDNEWS" link below: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000470941560.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail (until 31st Jan 2020)
3. It does sound different, AKM compare to ESS.. with the latest AKM.it sounds better..and the slam...damn. On my gears atleast.
4. Is all about your pairing. I'm on D90 - 887 - Modded LCD

Last edited:

interior

1. No point going for DX7 Pro..if you want to pair with 887, 2. D90 is almost the same price with DX7 Pro with the 10% off from AliExpress with code "SOUNDNEWS" link below: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000470941560.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail (until 31st Jan 2020)
3. It does sound different, AKM compare to ESS.. with the latest AKM.it sounds better..and the slam...damn. On my gears atleast.
Is that a spoof of aliexprees you've linked to? I was under the impression https://www.aliexpress.com leads to the site generally regarded as the genuine aliexpress.

Theleb_Kaarna

Hey guys, can someone confirm that turning-off your PC will shut the D90 down (ie soft shutdown where the front panel display goes dark)? If so, does putting your PC to 'sleep' have the same effect? I can confirm the D70 does NOT do this (unless you press and hold the front power button).

Reason I ask is my D70 doesn't 'see' my PC about 25% of the time and am wondering if the D90 will do better...

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hey guys, can someone confirm that turning-off your PC will shut the D90 down (ie soft shutdown where the front panel display goes dark)? If so, does putting your PC to 'sleep' have the same effect? I can confirm the D70 does NOT do this (unless you press and hold the front power button).

Reason I ask is my D70 doesn't 'see' my PC about 25% of the time and am wondering if the D90 will do better...

Question:

i) Are you using a USB hub to connect to the DAC ?

ii) Is the USB cable up to spec ?

I have encountered similar stories with USB hub users on the web. Try plugging in direct to your PC.
As for the second, I had a cheap USB cable that was apparently out of spec, I had intermittent issues with my Khadas Tone Board. Decided to change it to a reputable cable make that was only a few dollars more, not more such drop offs.

Give the above a try first, may solve your issues.

Theleb_Kaarna

Thanks for your response maxxevv.

i) Not anymore. Not a hub, but was using an iFi Micro USB 3.0. Now just straight into the USB port on my PC. Have also tried different ports. Issue still persists.

ii) I've gone through 3 different USB cables (one of which is Audioquest) trying to isolate the issue. To no avail.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I just bought the D70 and have 'til January 31st to return it for a full refund if I want and get a D90. Been weighing the option.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Still hoping someone will chime-in and answer my initial question about whether or not the D90 shuts down when the PC is powered off/put to sleep.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Thanks for your response maxxevv.

i) Not anymore. Not a hub, but was using an iFi Micro USB 3.0. Now just straight into the USB port on my PC. Have also tried different ports. Issue still persists.

ii) I've gone through 3 different USB cables (one of which is Audioquest) trying to isolate the issue. To no avail.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I just bought the D70 and have 'til January 31st to return it for a full refund if I want and get a D90. Been weighing the option.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Still hoping someone will chime-in and answer my initial question about whether or not the D90 shuts down when the PC is powered off/put to sleep.

Yes I can also confirm that the D90 goes into standby mode(after around a minute) when the computer is turned off or goes to sleep. You have to set the D90 setting on 'Auto on' for that to happen. There is a button 'auto' on the remote to switch that on or off.

Soundstage

What is your volume setting on the DAC when plugged to the 887?
Thanks.

Top Bottom