• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

saadi703

Hello, I am new on this forum so please pardon me if this is the wrong place to post this question. I have received my D90 few days back and it is my first DAC which has sample rate above 192K and it seems I can only adjust the sample rate to 384k (for any bit rate) whereas this DAC is supposed to support 768k. Any idea why is that?

I have tested DSDs are working fine and TIDAL MQA is also showing correct sample rate if I give exclusive access to Tidal app.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-01-14 194707.png
    Annotation 2020-01-14 194707.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 293

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello, I am new on this forum so please pardon me if this is the wrong place to post this question. I have received my D90 few days back and it is my first DAC which has sample rate above 192K and it seems I can only adjust the sample rate to 384k (for any bit rate) whereas this DAC is supposed to support 768k. Any idea why is that?

I have tested DSDs are working fine and TIDAL MQA is also showing correct sample rate if I give exclusive access to Tidal app.
It's a Windows driver thing. You can push this rate via a compatible app. For example foobar, over WASAPI, it will work fine.

Besides, setting sample rate in Windows settings is rather pointless. It only tells Windows to resample everything to that rate. Your DAC has a better resampler inside of it anyway, it makes most sense to select common 44 or 48 kHz rate and leave it to that.

saadi703

It's a Windows driver thing. You can push this rate via a compatible app. For example foobar, over WASAPI, it will work fine.

Besides, setting sample rate in Windows settings is rather pointless. It only tells Windows to resample everything to that rate. Your DAC has a better resampler inside of it anyway, it makes most sense to select common 44 or 48 kHz rate and leave it to that.

Thanks so much for the info. Yes, I was able to push the rate using foobar and it is working fine. I was wondering about the sample rate in the Windows driver thing. Thanks for the clarification.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am looking more for an upgrade. Budget wise I am willing to go for RME-ADI 2 or DX7 Pro or D90+THX 789. But I am guessing my upgrade is currently also limited by my other gear (JBL LSR305p and HD6XX). So I am seeking opinions for the best option.
Did you consider the M500 instead of DX7Pro or D90 at half the price?

ElNino

I mean the lack of a sharp roll-off filter.

If you look at the datasheet for the AK4499, there are no filters that have a stopband at Fs/2. The sharpest roll-off filter has a stopband of 24.1kHz for 44.1kHz material. That's by design; it's not a Topping-specific issue.

If you want an Fs/2 filter, you can always resample in software.

Rigel

Aw man, I was wondering why my D90 Bluetooth only went like 3 feet and stuttered a lot, so I unscrewed the antenna and the antenna actually came off with the inside (the white part and gold cylinder thing) of the SMA connector still inside the antenna :(
I am guessing it was like this from factory as I've only had it a few days now and haven't bumped it against anything.

Has anyone gotten photos of the connectors on the PCB? I wonder if it would be easier to just solder a new SMA connector on myself instead of spending $80 to ship it back for replacement. (and wait time...)

Hi jcadduono

The other day I took enough pictures of its interior, here is a photo of the area, if you need a photo of another area tell me

jcadduono

Hi jcadduono
The other day I took enough pictures of its interior, here is a photo of the area, if you need a photo of another area tell me
Amazing, that's perfect! I don't even have to solder it seems, I already have the parts too! (gonna disassemble some old WiFi routers ;)) Thanks so much.

Last edited:

Celty

Here is a new review:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

GeorgeWalk

How easy was it to get the PM of 10%, did you send them a link to the Sound News article?

I sent them the link to the smsl-topping page (the same link in my post above). I clicked on the D90 page and there is a little tab on the side that says 10% off. It took them about 1 minute to confirm it. I ordered the D90, sent them the order number and about 10 minutes latter they credited my paypal $70. It was way too easy! I like dealing with them! Plus free expedited shipping and no tax!

VeerK

I sent them the link to the smsl-topping page (the same link in my post above). I clicked on the D90 page and there is a little tab on the side that says 10% off. It took them about 1 minute to confirm it. I ordered the D90, sent them the order number and about 10 minutes latter they credited my paypal $70. It was way too easy! I like dealing with them! Plus free expedited shipping and no tax!

thanks, I did the same thing. Huge benefit for me is tax free, even if I bought from AliExpress I get clapped with tax so this was basically a $100 savings for me. I’m happy, can’t wait to have a matching stack this weekend.

GeorgeWalk

thanks, I did the same thing. Huge benefit for me is tax free, even if I bought from AliExpress I get clapped with tax so this was basically a $100 savings for me. I’m happy, can’t wait to have a matching stack this weekend.

We have 6% tax here in Mass, so Appos saved me about $100 also. Great site and great to work with. I bought a D50s from them for my desk at work and a NX4 for when I travel. I have nothing but stellar experiences with them.

Shoaibexpert

Here is a new review:
Feels like a long long sales pitch more than a review! That part where he discusses frequency response...my understanding is that a linearity test (done by Amir) tells the same story on almost all well implemented DACs...it's Linear! Still I hear things like 'unleashing Bass thrust', clear mids and smooth highs...don't know how that works!

Must admit...makes me unconformtable I jumped to M500 too soon and been wondering if I should sell it and put another USD 400 to get the D90!

Last edited:
Top Bottom