• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

bys13

IMG_20200107_080227_BURST1.jpg

I think I'm set.

Celty

Svperstar

Blur

Forum Donor
Did we ever hear back from Topping regarding the possibility of the filter choices overlapping? Is there a firmware update for this issue and does it remove the high frequency noise component?

Yviena

The thing is, you will know if you have USB problems because your audio will be quite noticeably cutting out. The D70/D90 have built in power supplies that power the USB input too, which means it should not request any power from the PC's USB slot. Your USB cable should just be all digital signal with a ground. There will be nothing there for the iFi to even filter out, except for maybe some environment noise that the XMOS chip will ignore anyway. (would not affect the bits that the XMOS receives)
Basically, if you don't hear dropouts without the iFi, then there is nothing for the iFi to improve.
USB is a bit-perfect protocol, and when the bits are not perfect, it is likely to throw some errors or disconnect the device.
You should be able to find more reviews of iFi purifier products on this site, actually!
One possibility though is EMi/RFI, and ground loops from the PC USB getting in via the ground/data pins but that's easily measurable, and probably audible in some circumstances.

Yviena

@amirm Is the THD+N versus frequency performance because of the filter, or something else?
If it's the filter we can probably workaround it by using SoX to upsample until topping fixes it through a firmware update if possible.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has Topping addressed the filter issue?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Has Topping addressed the filter issue?
There were no issue. The difference is just phase and you will see it in time domain. Frequency response should be the same by design.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blue Tooth all thou not the preferred connection i have had 4,2 and 5.0 is a bigger improvement.
Unfortunately, BT 5.0 is all about range and stability. No improvement in sound quality (yet).
D90 (DSD512) does have an improvement over ADI-2 PRO fs..
(there is definitely a difference.. I think I can blind test and tell the difference)
Interesting. Did you match the ADI-2 PRO to 4V (14 - 14.5dBu)?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There were no issue. The difference is just phase and you will see it in time domain. Frequency response should be the same by design.

I mean the lack of a sharp roll-off filter.

Jeffrankko

Need some advice. I am currently using JDS O2+ODAC combo, connecting between my JBL LSR305 MKII and my PC. I also own a pair of HD6XX.
Was looking to do some upgrade to my DAC/Amp. Wondering if the Topping D90 (with a separate amp, probably THX AAA 789) is an overkill for my speakers and headphones or a Topping DX7 Pro would do just nice?

Any advice please?

Veri

Master Contributor
Any advice please?
A topping DX7 Pro would do just nice, for your set-up. Anything more is overkill. I'd say, order one and don't look back. There will always be the next best thing on the horizon..

Celty

Any advice please?
The DX7 Pro that Veri suggests would be hard to beat if you want an all-in-one option. It just depends on what you are looking to achieve in your upgrade. For instance what are your priorities for power, performance, features, and connections? Do you anticipate adding more headphones in the future? High impedance or low (as in IEM)? What is a comfortable budget range for you?

In other words, it is hard to make strong suggestions if we don't have a better idea what would suit your needs and wants. Perhaps ask yourself what about your current setup leaves you wanting something different.

Mikechw

Unfortunately, BT 5.0 is all about range and stability. No improvement in sound quality (yet).

Interesting. Did you match the ADI-2 PRO to 4V (14 - 14.5dBu)?
Well, I double checked my settings in the rme's menu. Its set to 19dbu.. and my volume is set to -3db.. so its output volume is around 16dbu..
~4.89Vrms.. Its louder than 4Vrms..

I had the output fed to my Accuphase preamp then to Benchmark.. Volume is adjusted there...

May be digitally volume adjust at the rme degraded the sound a little.

I will do more listening when I have time to set it up again.

Top Bottom